Need advice from people who weight train (women especially)

Options
Hey guys! Just wanted some advice I started weight training recently as I have lost the weight that I won't but now want some muscle definition and the get stronger. My body fat percentage is 29.2% and muscle mass is 39%. I want to get my body fat down to the early 20's. I had done some isolation training I.e. Bicep and back day, leg day etc.

But then my gym gave me a program which includes using the functional rig like a circuit. It's mostly body weight - step ups with kettle bell, backward push ups from step, military rope lifts, one leg spats and explosive bomb jumps with Olympic Rings, pull ups with Olympic Rings, oblique twists with weighted bar, pushing sledge and sit ups with medicine ball.
I just want advice on if this will help me achieve my goal properly and how soon should I see results if I do this 3xweekly?

Thanks Guys!
Laura

Replies

• modernwarpaint
    modernwarpaint Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    There are many factors that will determine how fast you will see results, many of which fluctuate based on the individual, therefore, an accurate determination of the speediness of your results can't be made. YOU would have the best answer for this, since you KNOW your own body the best. My body tends to adapt pretty fast, and I can see results with in a week. Not just aesthetic results, but internal results as well.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Are you still eating at a deficit or have you gone into maintenance?

Let me add, this circuit training will not build definition. This will burn a heck of a lot fat which I think you still have to do...

You need to continue with your other lifting you mentioned and do this routine on your cardio type days is this would be 3 x a week.

Did you experience any "newbie" muscle gains from your original prgram they had you on (how long did you do this training?)
  • brendacoody
    brendacoody Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hi! Good luck
    Hey guys! Just wanted some advice I started weight training recently as I have lost the weight that I won't but now want some muscle definition and the get stronger. My body fat percentage is 29.2% and muscle mass is 39%. I want to get my body fat down to the early 20's. I had done some isolation training I.e. Bicep and back day, leg day etc.

But then my gym gave me a program which includes using the functional rig like a circuit. It's mostly body weight - step ups with kettle bell, backward push ups from step, military rope lifts, one leg spats and explosive bomb jumps with Olympic Rings, pull ups with Olympic Rings, oblique twists with weighted bar, pushing sledge and sit ups with medicine ball.
    I just want advice on if this will help me achieve my goal properly and how soon should I see results if I do this 3xweekly?

Thanks Guys!
    Laura

Good luck to you. Give yourself 4-6 weeks. Did you measure? Because muscle weighs more you could get discouraged if you gain weight in the first week to 10 days. Your muscles will swell due to the stress of the weights at first. Stay with it. You will feel better and stronger before you actually see the inches come off. Muscle burns more fat in your sleep so stay with the weights!! Much luck to you!!
  • ctmike1980
    ctmike1980 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I have about 130 lbs to lose to goal. I hate hate hate Cardio at the gym. I have, however, started doing strength training, aka lifting weights for the past two weeks at the gym and love it! I have read that lifting weights is better than cardio as your body will keep burning calories up to 36 hours AFTER you stop, whereas cardio your body burns and stops when you are done. Has anyone done only weights and lost weight? Thanks.
  • lauraloy2013
    lauraloy2013 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    gia07 wrote: »
    Are you still eating at a deficit or have you gone into maintenance?

Yes I'm eating at a deficit of 250 cals a day but to be honest I've eating pretty much at maintenance for this week but I usually eat at a deficit.

Yes to be fair I have seen some changes in my arms (biceps, pecs and deltoids) but still have belly fat which I'm holding the deficit and the high intensity of the workout will help with this.

Thanks guys
  • lauraloy2013
    Options
    Hi! Good luck

Thanks Guys!
    Laura

Good luck to you. Give yourself 4-6 weeks. Did you measure? Because muscle weighs more you could get discouraged if you gain weight in the first week to 10 days. Your muscles will swell due to the stress of the weights at first. Stay with it. You will feel better and stronger before you actually see the inches come off. Muscle burns more fat in your sleep so stay with the weights!! Much luck to you!!

Thanks for this advice. Really encouraging. I am feeling better and getting compliments which is good. Haven't lost inches yet but that's maybe the way to go with tracking changed. Thanks
  • madhatter2013
    madhatter2013 Posts: 1,547 Member
    Options
    ctmike1980 wrote: »
    I have about 130 lbs to lose to goal. I hate hate hate Cardio at the gym. I have, however, started doing strength training, aka lifting weights for the past two weeks at the gym and love it! I have read that lifting weights is better than cardio as your body will keep burning calories up to 36 hours AFTER you stop, whereas cardio your body burns and stops when you are done. Has anyone done only weights and lost weight? Thanks.

I lost my first 30 lbs doing only cardio for 3 months. Then I switched to lifting and no cardio and lost another 24 lbs over around 6 months. I'm not sure how much truth there is to the 36 hours burn after lifting. I switched because cardio killed my knee and squats really helped. Now I do lifting 2x a week and body pump twice a week.
  • DaddieCat
    DaddieCat Posts: 3,643 Member
    Options
    ctmike1980 wrote: »

I lost my first 30 lbs doing only cardio for 3 months. Then I switched to lifting and no cardio and lost another 24 lbs over around 6 months. I'm not sure how much truth there is to the 36 hours burn after lifting. I switched because cardio killed my knee and squats really helped. Now I do lifting 2x a week and body pump twice a week.

There is some slight, but mistaken truth to that. What they mean to say is that lifting or any form of progressive overload/resistance training increases muscle density and mass (provided you are eating enough to gain mass and not just recomp) and increased muscular density and mass requires more calories to sustain so your BMR will increase slightly as your mass/density increases. This is really where the increased burn comes from... but it's not really enough to take to the bank in regards to fat loss, more for those who have shifted to maintenance or who are working to gain more mass.
  • rileyes
    rileyes Posts: 1,406 Member
    Options
    I'm understanding your circuit to be this: Step-ups ( core and legs), dips (triceps), battle ropes (core), pistol squats (core and legs), jump squats (core and legs), twists/rotations (lats) and prowler, pull-ups, sit-ups... Are you doing it for time? It looks like you may be getting a full body workout with a some agility and speed. I might add kettlebell swings (core/posterior chain)

I may see results of speed and endurance if I did this circuit. I may see strength gains if I progressively added weights to the circuit. I may get some muscle over time if I performed four reps of this circuit adding weight over time.
  • lauraloy2013
    Options
    rileyes wrote: »
    I'm understanding your circuit to be this: Step-ups ( core and legs), dips (triceps), battle ropes (core), pistol squats (core and legs), jump squats (core and legs), twists/rotations (lats) and prowler, pull-ups, sit-ups... Are you doing it for time? It looks like you may be getting a full body workout with a some agility and speed. I might add kettlebell swings (core/posterior chain)

I may see results of speed and endurance if I did this circuit. I may see strength gains if I progressively added weights to the circuit. I may get some muscle over time if I performed four reps of this circuit adding weight over time.

Thanks that's a great summary. Yeah that's an idea I'll maybe add kettlebell swings. I was thinking of maybe adding hanging knee lifts for core too - do you think I need to?

I do the whole circuit 3 times. Should I add this to for as I am able. At the minute I couldn't physical do it but maybe in a week or so?
  • AudryLucy
    AudryLucy Posts: 1 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    I have used a book called "The Body Sculpting Bible for Women" for about ten years, maybe more. The authors have several editions, like Body Sculpting Express. They're both good and have been extremely helpful to me in the past and now. I recommend it to everyone. There are new versions, but I'm posting a link to the one I use. There's a lot of helpful information regarding the proper combination of diet, cardio and weight lifting. The program helps you achieve a balanced, sculpted look. It's great for losing weight too.

There is also info in this book about switching things up every two weeks or so (calories / intensity / weight). This will keep your metabolism up, which is good if you're trying to burn that last bit of belly fat and define muscles. Regarding belly fat, I'm dealing with the same thing (a bit of left over baby belly). But I'm determined to burn the majority off and weights, cardio and proper nutrition has always been the way to go. At least for me. Everyone is different.

I have been working on it since June and hit a plateau for a couple of months that I just couldn't seem to break. Just this week, I switched up my caloric intake and really watched the carbs and the inches (and weight) are coming off again. MyFitnessPal has been really helpful in keeping track of all that.

You can do it!

Here's a link to a used copy of the book mentioned above:
    http://www.thriftbooks.com/w/the-body-sculpting-bible-for-women-the-way-to-physical-perfection_james-villepigue_hugo-rivera/271562/?gclid=Cj0KEQjwkqKxBRCIrK_riNm13Z8BEiQAdzdVkNPduqTxU11Tps0g34mDgDQK9rgSLMU7E1nQBU-s9xcaAuMQ8P8HAQ#isbn=1578262399&pcrid=70112892432&pkw=&pmt=&plc=
  • lauraloy2013
    Options
    Thanks I'll maybe have a look at getting that!