What's Your Favorite Fast Meal?

Options
Khovde07
Khovde07 Posts: 508 Member
My husband and I both work full time 8:00-5:00 jobs but 2 nights a week we also teach a class from 6:00-10:30. Getting in a fast, healthy meal that actually feels like a hearty dinner is tough. Neither of us are huge fans of salads, so that makes it a bit tougher. What's everyone's favorite fast healthy meal?

Replies

• RoseTheWarrior
    RoseTheWarrior Posts: 2,035 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    For my hubby and I, we love the Whole Wheat Pita Pizza, from here:
    http://www.eat-yourself-skinny.com/2013/04/whole-wheat-pita-bread-pizza.html

We love the sauce so much! We make double batches of the sauce and throw it in the freezer, then take it out for nights where we're busier. We throw extra veggies and usually some pre-baked, slicked chicken breast on the pizzas as well. Best. dinner. ever. We also use the sauce for pasta - with homemade meatballs (check out the recipe for Meatball Nirvana...http://allrecipes.com/recipe/213742/meatball-nirvana/).

In addition, I recommend making large batches of food when you have time. We can easily go 3 or 4 days without cooking because we do this. Here's a great low fat chicken chili recipe that's super tasty, and it makes lots, so again, you can eat some, then freeze the rest for fast dinner night:
    http://www.myrecipes.com/recipe/low-fat-chicken-chili

For that recipe, we use no sodium broth in place of regular sauce. We've served it to company and everyone says it's the best chili they've had.
  • mpat81
    mpat81 Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    Omelets, especially if you have leftovers hanging around. Great way to stretch a few leftovers into a whole new meal for 2 people and really fast to whip up. Add some toast and fresh fruit to round it out!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    usually a sandwich
  • MsJulesRenee
    MsJulesRenee Posts: 1,180 Member
    Options
    Breakfast Burritos, takes 10 minutes tops to make and healthy. Cook a little crumbled sausage/veggies, add the egg, top with cheese and throw it in corn tortillas. You can even eat them on the way to class if needed.
  • NewMeSM75
    NewMeSM75 Posts: 971 Member
    Options
    I suggested this to on another post. When you're cooking the other nights, make a little extra and freeze. Such as chicken, it doesn't take much time to cook extra chicken then you can pull it out heat it up and add to it. Or maybe invest in some storage containers for meal. Freeze your own meals. After a few weeks, you will have a variety to choose from.

If I had to come up with a really quick meal, it would probably be fajitas using corn tortillas. Cook strip steak with peppers and onions. Top with light sour cream, salsa, 2% cheese.
  • Ohwhynot
    Ohwhynot Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    This is gonna sound weird, but I do fake spaghetti. Tastes nothing like spaghetti but I love it in a pinch. I do a bag of frozen broccoli florets and top with either lean ground beef and tomato sauce mix, or gardein veggie chicken (could use real) and a bit of mozz cheese and veggie tomato sauce. Takes no time, is filling, and pretty healthy!
  • BringingSherriBack
    BringingSherriBack Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    Cook your meat in the crockpot all day (roast, etc.) and then pop some frozen veggies in the microwave and you've got a nice dinner on the table in about 10 minutes.
  • Darklords
    Darklords Posts: 3,175 Member
    Options
    try making homemade steamers , pop in the microwave for about 4.5 mins frozen. better then the one you buy in the store
  • Ang108
    Ang108 Posts: 1,711 Member
    Options
    rice or other grain ( like barley ) bowls.
    Put previously cooked grain in the bowl add cooked or raw chopped vegetables to your taste. These days I use tomatoes, onion, lots of cilantro, corn, broccoli and sometimes thinly shredded cabbage.
    Top with protein of choice ( canned tuna, salmon, left over shredded meat, fish, hard boiled eggs etc ) and then mix with a bit of mayo ( mine if home made with olive oil ), or lots of lime juice and a splattering of EVO. Herbs according to preference. I like a lot of freshly ground black pepper.
    Since the grain is already cooked it usually takes me 5-7 minutes to do the rest.
  • Steff46
    Steff46 Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    I keep canned chicken and tuna in the cupboard for quick meals. I also keep Lean Cuisine personal size pizzas in the freezer for those days I haven't prepped.
  • jasper186
    jasper186 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Open a can of kidney beans, chic peas or whatever kind you have, sauté some onions, garlic and whatever veggies are in the fridge, toss in the beans and in no time you have a yummy stir fry. I always keep plenty of beans in my cupboard, I use them is lots of dishes.
  • RaeBeeBaby
    RaeBeeBaby Posts: 4,245 Member
    Options
    I make tacos or burritos out of just about everything. When I do food prep I will make a lot of veggie and egg scramble to keep in the fridge for reheating. I also cook extra meat like chicken and ground beef and keep in the fridge or freeze. I almost always have some type of lettuce greens, tomatoes, tortillas and cheese. With the re-made veggies and/or meat I can make tacos or burritos in about 5 minutes!
  • theresasb
    theresasb Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I bought Tupperware's microwave pressure cooker. Amazing! Meals in 30 mins or less and better than a slow cooker IMO. I made a huge batch of lazy Cabbage rolls last week. Lasted a few days.