Is 10 lb weight loss a reasonable goal?

Options
katsushii
katsushii Posts: 31 Member
edited October 2015 in Health and Weight Loss
Seems I've always fluctuated significant poundage throughout the day, and through the week. About 5-8 yrs ago (ages 17 through 20, about 5'6.5"), I used to maintain an average weight of 130 lbs, give or take 5-6 lbs. Now, at age 25 and 5'7.5", it's an average of 140 lbs, give or take 5-6 lbs.

One of my goals on MyFitnessPal is to return to the average of 130 lbs. But with the regular weight fluctuation, is 10 lb. loss a reasonable goal? It typically looks like people aim for high amounts such as 50lb or 100lbs. Should I am for a higher amount of weight loss, e.g. 20 lbs? More?

Thank you in advance.

Replies

• malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    There's two options I see...you can aim for the 10 pounds (which will take a while...20 would put you almost at/if not underweight, so I wouldn't advise that), or you can do a body recomposition where you eat at maintenance/just below and lift heavy weights in order to lose body fat.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,952 Member
    Options
    You could certainly aim for 10 pounds. Set your weight loss goals for 0.5 pounds per week and be patient - the scale may not budge at all many weeks but eventually you'll get there.
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    At 5'7.5", 140 is a perfectly healthy weight.

If you're not currently satisfied with how your body looks, I would advise ditching the scale, start a weight training and exercise program and try to recomp the make-up of your body.

• LadyLallybroch
    LadyLallybroch Posts: 36 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    I'm about the same age as you, same height. You are already a healthy weight. I think 130s is also a healthy weight for our height. You don't need to lose more just because other people do. They weigh more than you and have more to lose. What you want/need to lose is a personal thing. If you are uncomfortable at your current weight, fine, just be careful because you can't go too far without being unhealthy. If you don't like how your body LOOKS, maybe try a recomp - workout to add muscle mass. If it's just the number that bothers you, really stop focusing on it. That number means nothing.
  • katsushii
    Options
    malibu927 wrote: »
    There's two options I see...you can aim for the 10 pounds (which will take a while... [...]), or you can do a body recomposition where you eat at maintenance/just below and lift heavy weights in order to lose body fat.
    I noticed that... Something on MyFitnessPal I appreciate is its end-of-the-day note, "If you ate like this everyday, you'd weigh ____ lbs in 5 weeks." No idea if it accounts for metabolism or what; it's basically suggesting I'll maintain my weight. So if I want to lose weight, ... your comment helps a lot. Thank you.
    malibu927 wrote: »
    20 would put you almost at/if not underweight, so I wouldn't advise that)
    Yeah. This was my initial thought. Honestly brand new to this goal of losing fat. xD

I am realizing my goal is to lose fat, not necessarily weight. For whatever reason, I have been equating these to the same thing. Thanks again, malibu!
  • katsushii
    Options
    I will look into body recompositioning. This is a brand new concept for me. Thank you for the quick and helpful replies!

Thanks very much, LadyLallybroch, for your helpful and relateable reply. I am going to do my best to work out and convert fat to muscle mass. There's still a lot for me to learn.

Thanks also to juggernaut and to kshama for your helpful replies and encouragement.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    katsushii wrote: »
    I will look into body recompositioning. This is a brand new concept for me. Thank you for the quick and helpful replies!

Thanks very much, LadyLallybroch, for your helpful and relateable reply. I am going to do my best to work out and convert fat to muscle mass. There's still a lot for me to learn.

Thanks also to juggernaut and to kshama for your helpful replies and encouragement.

Most of us who want to "lose 10 pounds" really want to lose fat, not weight. The advice to start a weight training regimen is sound. I'll give you a little personal experience.

I started wanting to lose about 20 pounds (5'3.5" at just over 140 lbs). I got down to 122 pounds but wasn't entirely happy with the way I looked, lost focus, had to stop running for awhile, etc. put some weight back on. When I was ready to recommit I started running seriously again AND weight lifting. I currently bounce between 130 and 135 and am wearing the same clothes I was wearing at 122. I'm about as small as I was before but I can eat more and maintain that size. Muscle weighs more than fat by volume, so you're smaller at the same weight. For that reason, when you start weight training the scale needs to be left behind other than as a sanity check.
  • katsushii
    Options
    Ah, thank you very much for your reply, SueInAz. That's awesome to know, and congrats to you. :)