Advice Please

Options
So i rejoined my local gym with the intent of doing the circuits and lifting for the first time.
Any advice for a newbie? How and where to start, when to increase, etc?

Replies

• rudolphjonesjr
    rudolphjonesjr Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    It depends on your goals. Do you wanna put muscles on tone up or lose weight
  • revolucia78
    revolucia78 Posts: 196 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Try beginner weight lifting programs like Strong Lifts (there's others as well). It's good because it's regimented and will help you work up to lifting heavy. I'm doing SL now too.
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    You need a picture here. I'd start with that.
  • tulips_and_tea
    tulips_and_tea Posts: 5,717 Member
    Options
    OP, talk to a gym staff member and have them show you HOW to use the machines properly first. Correct form is the #1 thing to learn. Adding weight will come after you learn the techniques.
  • revolucia78
    revolucia78 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    BZAH10 wrote: »
    OP, talk to a gym staff member and have them show you HOW to use the machines properly first. Correct form is the #1 thing to learn. Adding weight will come after you learn the techniques.

This is true!!.. I would also argue that you don't need a gym person to show you correct form. I learned my form from watching videos and looking at myself in the mirror to make sure that I was doing it correctly/feeling which muscles are activated. If someone is available, definitely use them and do make sure (however you learn it) that you have proper form while lifting to prevent injury.

If you go to the strong lifts website, there is tons of videos explaining proper form for the exercises within the program.
  • tulips_and_tea
    tulips_and_tea Posts: 5,717 Member
    Options
    MsMarvel27 wrote: »
    BZAH10 wrote: »

This is true!!.. I would also argue that you don't need a gym person to show you correct form. I learned my form from watching videos and looking at myself in the mirror to make sure that I was doing it correctly/feeling which muscles are activated. If someone is available, definitely use them and do make sure (however you learn it) that you have proper form while lifting to prevent injury.

If you go to the strong lifts website, there is tons of videos explaining proper form for the exercises within the program.

Yes, you can definitely learn technique this way as well. I was thinking more about the weight machines. Some of them have attachments and different settings and what not and it takes some guidance to use them properly and adjust them to reach your maximum range of movement.