Back after a long hiatus and feeling intimidated

Options
Hi everyone! I started using MFP, working out, and watching what I eat around January and I was doing really well! I lost around 15 pounds by March. But then my work had an unexpected jump in jobs that kept all of us travelling for weeks at a time. Because of the nature of the work, we weren't allowed to bring food to the site and had to rely on whatever food was brought to us at lunch time (usually fast food). The long days also made it very difficult to work out. I tried to keep going with keeping an eye on everything but eventually got discouraged and gave up. Now I'm back and determined to get back on track. I was feeling the best I had in years when I started being healthy! But looking at starting all over again has me feeling discouraged and really intimidated. Any support and encouragement would be really appreciated.

Replies

• LernRach
    LernRach Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    I just posted a similar post saying that second time round seems so much harder and I;m unsure why... I don't have an answer except that when I weighed my food meticulously, and kept to the same types of foods, there was less margin for error and the weight came off easier and quicker..

Good luck xx
  • determined2bfit13
    determined2bfit13 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Welcome back...Just think about it you did it before and you can do it again. The best part is that you know exactly what you need to do.
  • IILikeToMoveItMoveIt
    IILikeToMoveItMoveIt Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    You can do it!
  • Winterlover123
    Winterlover123 Posts: 352 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Hello and welcome back! Feel free to add me, I'd love to be on this journey with you!
  • agreenid
    agreenid Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    Welcome back!

It's hard when you've done really well and feel like you're starting over. But remember that this time you're doing it and it's going to stick! It might help to set smaller goals for yourself so that you feel that sense of accomplishment sooner instead of waiting till you hit where you were "before". Treat the last time as a learning experience--you know you can do it and it sounds like you know what contributed to your slide back. What can you do differently this time if the same or similar situation happens again? I've definitely done the yo-yo back up and down and always kick myself for letting go when I was feeling so good--not this time! We can do it :)
  • kettlebells_and_cupcakes
    Options
    Welcome back! And congratulations for making the decision to rejoin! Big first scary step taken. Feel free to add me and we can do this together!
  • shadowfax_c11
    shadowfax_c11 Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options
    What are you afraid will happen? Okay so you had to take a break from focusing on your diet. That's okay. That's just life. Now you are back and ready to tackle it again. Good for you. Now get to it!
  • zorahgail
    zorahgail Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Welcome back! Great job on re-committing.

Life happens and that's perfectly ok. We're human :smiley:

How can you start feeling successful right now? For me baby steps sometimes even feel overwhelming, so I'll break it down until it's impossible for me to fail at.

One of my goals is to eat 4-5 fruit/veggie servings a day. Almost immediately my body tenses up and my brain thinks there's no way I can do that daily. So my first teeny tiny baby step is to just eat 2 baby carrots a day for 7 straight days.

Sounds kinda silly but it's more important for me to build momentum and create habits that last.

You can do it!
  • fi_b
    fi_b Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Welcome back!
    It's annoying starting again, but at least you know how great you will feel when you're into the swing of it! You actually know there is a light at the end of the tunnel. There is no end to the support and motivation that is to be found here, no need to feel intimidated! Congratulations on taking the first step to getting back on track, feel free to add me and good luck making your healthy changes :)
  • cherdeniise
    cherdeniise Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Welcome back!