C25K and asthma

Options
Hi everyone
Just wondering if anyone with asthma has become a runner using the C25K program? I used it for 2 months back in April but gave up after I got flu & was sick for 2 weeks. It took a long time for my wheezing to calm down so I never went back to it.
I struggled to run up any hills, but if I kept to flats, I actually progressed quite well. I can't imagine ever getting my lungs good enough to run, let alone run up roads that are hilly.
Anyone else managed to start running with asthma? If so, did it take you extra time than the c25k 8 weeks to get going?
Thanks

Replies

• jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Hubby has asthma. He doesn't run with me but we do walks together. I make him take his puffer with him. His fitness instructor told him to take his puffer before he works out.
  • aerosolo
    aerosolo Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Had asthma as a kid, but mostly outgrew it before I started C25k. I try to avoid running on days where environmental factors could trigger an attack (cold and dry is my kryptonite). I also concentrate on breath training the first few weeks so I don't gasp at the end of an interval. You can do it, but be smart and carry your inhaler. Good luck!
  • vanilla045
    vanilla045 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I'm not doing C25k but just for exercise in general I take my puffer before I work out. It helps tremendously. I could never do uphill without feeling like I was dying but
    taking the puffer before makes it manageable. And I find as I get more in shape it gets even easier.
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    kazala wrote: »
    Hi everyone
    Just wondering if anyone with asthma has become a runner using the C25K program? I used it for 2 months back in April but gave up after I got flu & was sick for 2 weeks. It took a long time for my wheezing to calm down so I never went back to it.
    I struggled to run up any hills, but if I kept to flats, I actually progressed quite well. I can't imagine ever getting my lungs good enough to run, let alone run up roads that are hilly.
    Anyone else managed to start running with asthma? If so, did it take you extra time than the c25k 8 weeks to get going?
    Thanks

Start slowly. Slow runs, flat surfaces. C25K is not a program designed to run fast or to run up hills. If you feel you struggle with breathing even then, you need to go back to your dr, because your asthma is not managed properly. If you regularly feel you need a rescue inhaler, your prevention plan is not working and needs readjustment. With proper asthma management, exercise, no matter how hard, should not be a problem.
  • kazala
    kazala Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Thanks for your replies everyone. My practice nurse did tell me exercise induced asthma is poorly controlled asthma. I'm planning to start like last time on flats & progress to the hilly bits once I can run for 20 mins. I already walk 4 miles a day & rarely wheeze when walking anymore which makes me think it would get better with practice
  • KatyAverill
    KatyAverill Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    I'm currently 9 months pregnant, so it's been a while since I've ran. However, I do have asthma and I first started running using C25K! It is definitely doable! It takes some time but your lungs will get conditioned and used to it. I went from wheezing, huffing and puffing through runs to having casual conversations during long runs and interval runs. I have ran two half marathons, a handful of 5ks, and a 10k. My longest run ever was 14 miles. After my baby is born and I'm cleared to exercise again I plan to use C25K again to work my way back up to where I was.
  • ruthbardell
    ruthbardell Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    The more you run, the easier it gets. I have asthma, I started C25K in June and can now happily run 5 miles including hills without any wheezing or a tight chest. If you find that after a few months of gradually building up you are still getting exercise based asthma I would go back to your nurse. There is a drug called montelukast that can help
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    My sister has asthma, although it's never been that horrible for her. She started running at the age of 40 and has done marathons and beyond. She carries an inhaler during runs but I've only seen her use it once. It's definitely doable! I will reiterate sticking to flat running surfaces for all of the C25K program. Get used to simply running. Hill running is for when you can run but want to increase speed and C25K is never about speed; it's about endurance.
  • LKArgh
    Options
    Thanks for your replies everyone. My practice nurse did tell me exercise induced asthma is poorly controlled asthma. I'm planning to start like last time on flats & progress to the hilly bits once I can run for 20 mins. I already walk 4 miles a day & rarely wheeze when walking anymore which makes me think it would get better with practice

C25K does not include hills. Not when you can run 20 minutes, not when you can run 30 minutes. If you are going to follow the program, stick to flat surfaces.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    aggelikik wrote: »

C25K does not include hills. Not when you can run 20 minutes, not when you can run 30 minutes. If you are going to follow the program, stick to flat surfaces.

not necessarily. i run in my neighborhood and there are some big hills. and I certainly had to go up them when if i wanted to go home
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    moyer566 wrote: »

not necessarily. i run in my neighborhood and there are some big hills. and I certainly had to go up them when if i wanted to go home

If you don't have a choice, and want to do hills, I guess that's your choice but running hills are not a part of the program. The OP really shouldn't be trying to throw hills in until the program is complete especially given the asthma situation.
  • kazala
    kazala Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Like others, I live in a hilly area though, so don't have much choice. I can walk the hills with no problem at all. When I started c25k last time, I just used to run on the downhill bit of the hills ... No way could I manage uphill at all!
    There's some amazing replies from asthmatics, doing marathons & 10k's.... Omg! That's amazing, well done. Very inspirational. Thanks for the advice!
  • LKArgh
    Options
    moyer566 wrote: »

You can run on hills. And create your own beginner's program for hill running :) But C25K is designed for flat surfaces.
  • granturismo
    granturismo Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    You can run on hills. And create your own beginner's program for hill running :) But C25K is designed for flat surfaces.

But some people dont have a choice.

My son has mild asthma. He runs with me and a few times during the summer he had to stop when out on a run.

He takes his inhalers on the day of a run and brings on with him each time he exercises. Generally its not an issue for him and he hasnt had to stop during a 5-7k run for the past two months.

You say you can keep to flats - then stay away from hills if possible and build up stamina. Enjoy.
  • VioletRojo
    VioletRojo Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    If your asthma isn't controlled, see a doctor. I take a couple of medications every day that have changed my life and allowed me to do all kinds of things, like running, that I couldn't do before.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options

You say you can keep to flats - then stay away from hills if possible and build up stamina. Enjoy.

yes :)