Do you REALLY need to eat something before running?

Options
I've read you're supposed to eat something small 30 to 60 minutes before you run. I wake up in the morning and need to get my run in quick on the treadmill before the baby wakes up. I usually drink a cup of coffee, glass of water, then run.

Is there anything wrong with this? I don't have time to eat and I don't want to wake up even earlier just so I can eat a banana and give it time to digest. Usually by the time I"m done exercising she is ready to wake up. I eat a decent breakfast when I"m done running.

thanks~

Replies

• ashley0616
    ashley0616 Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    When I work out first thing in the morning, it is on an empty stomach. As long as your body is handling it well, then you are fine. If you are getting dizzy or lightheaded, it could be a blood sugar issue and you might want to consider a few crackers or a small piece of fruit before you go out.
  • ilsie99
    ilsie99 Posts: 259
    Options
    Nope, thats just fine. Whatever works, keep doing it!
  • melleyd
    melleyd Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    I just asked someone this same question. I don't eat before I work out either in the mornings and it just suits me better. I think it's ok but I'm sure you will get differing opinions on here! I think the key is to eat something when you're done. It might also depend how long you run.
  • shawn_chas102304
    Options
    I think the point of eating before is to give your body my energy while running. I like you, like to get up before my girls and get on the treadmill. But because I'm so out of shape and need all the help I can get, I am trying to eat some fruit and then 30 mins later get on the treadmill. GOODLUCK!
  • JennaM222
    JennaM222 Posts: 1,996 Member
    Options
    I agree, whatever works best for you. If I eat before running, I usually eat an hour before, even if it is just a banana, or a protein bar. I dont rull well on a full tummy. I also know tohers who eat RIGHT before running. Its all about what works best for you.
  • Gilbrod
    Gilbrod Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    I never do. Makes me wanna throw up. I ran this morning without anything at all in my stomach. I don't even eat before going to the gym. I have yet to have a problem.
  • artvandalay
    Options
    ok, thanks, I feel much better.

My husband thinks it's really weird that I drink coffee right before running. I dunno. I can brew it super quick in my Keurig and just feel like I have to have one cup before I do anything in the morning. Although I'm sure it's mental, because the caffeine doens't have time to kick in byt he time I"m on the treadmill.
  • SarahofTwins
    SarahofTwins Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    I've done both and I have twin girls and son to wake up so time can be a crunch! I dont think it really makes a difference, as long as its working for you :) Lately I've been eating though before I work out only to have some energy when I'm jogging. Good luck to you!
  • jeff261159
    jeff261159 Posts: 385
    Options
    I just read an article in this months running magazine and it says that unless you are doing a half marathon or + then there is no need to 'fuel up' before the run. A normal meal the evening before a morning run will be fine.
  • MayMaydoesntrun
    MayMaydoesntrun Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    It really just depends on how I feel when I wake up. Sometimes, my belly is just empty feeling and I know from experience, that I need to eat something small or I'll never make it through my run. Other time, actually most of the time, I run on empty. It's a personal preference.
  • cariandy
    cariandy Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    No..I run on an empty stomach or coffee when i go out early in the morning..coffee is awesome! it helps helps with your run! :o) Good job!! keep it up!
  • jilld76
    jilld76 Posts: 324
    Options
    If you feel fine and can get through your workouts, then I don't see a problem with not eating before running. If I work out in the morning, it's usually on either an empty stomach or I'll just eat a banana or a luna bar, something small. I can't eat a lot before working out because it makes me want to puke!
  • njoithomp
    njoithomp Posts: 61
    Options
    I have read that doing aerobics first thing in the morning is good on an empty stomach because it increases the after burn. However; I also read that if you are doing any strength training first thing in the morning, the body needs some type of nutrition to help to build muscle properly. Oxygen magazine suggests chocolate milk or regular milk before strength training first thing in the morning as a good alternative to actually eating. Non-fat mild of course. Happy running!
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    There are some words on this site that make me scream, and top of the list is "you're supposed to..."

You're not "supposed" to do anything. There are no hard and fast "this way and no other" rules.

Fasted cardio (working out on an empty stomach) is a fairly well-known technique, and it suits some people, especially if exercisisng first thing in the morning. On the other hand, some people find they get dizzy if they exercise on an empty stomach, or can work-out better if they've given their body some fuel first.

If it suits you, and your body is letting you know it's OK with that, then carry on! Good luck.
  • yes_i_can
    yes_i_can Posts: 419
    Options
    As long as you're not running huge distances, you should be fine.

I do my running just before dinner, and I do tend to have something small at least a half-hour before, to get the energy going after sitting in the office all day. Usually just an apple or something. If I ran in the mornings though, I wouldn't eat beforehand. If I eat to close to the run, I get side stitches.
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    No. You don't at all. I don't often eat before my runs, I can happily do about 12km (8 miles) before I feel I need to eat to fuel it, or like I am running out of energy.

I do find I get more tired if I run on an empty stomach having not had a proper evening meal the night before, though.
  • cariandy
    cariandy Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    It really just depends on how I feel when I wake up. Sometimes, my belly is just empty feeling and I know from experience, that I need to eat something small or I'll never make it through my run. Other time, actually most of the time, I run on empty. It's a personal preference.
    and if your feeling hungry...eat!!! I find a banana is perfect for quick energy if you need somthing! :o)
  • TS65
    TS65 Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    I'm on the "do what works for you" team. For ME, I have no energy if I run on empty. So, I eat 1/4 - 1/2 protein bar and drink a cup of water - then head out.
  • spacecase76
    spacecase76 Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    I run at 4:30 in the afternoon on my way home from work, before gathering my kids from daycare. It is the only time I can run without the kids...

Now with that being said, if I eat within 2-3 hours before running, I *will* get sick. It is 100* right now, or dang close to it (I live in Louisiana). But, by that point of the day, I have generally eaten breakfast, lunch, and 2 snacks, so I am not going on empty. If I were an early morning runner, it would be the same, eating too early makes me sick too...
  • shaunshaikh
    shaunshaikh Posts: 616 Member
    Options
    If you're going to be running for an hour or more, then it's a pretty good idea. Otherwise, it's not that important.