Addicted to lattes

Options
Hi, does anyone have any ideas how I can get over this unhealthy addiction. I start with one on the way to work on the train and then will have another 1 or 2 ( or even 3) during the day. Have managed to keep to 2 a day in the few days since joining this site, but spend the rest of the day thinking about them!!! On the weekend I make any excuse to go into town so I can go to the coffee shop. I would save so many calories if I could just give them up!

I was wondering if perhaps calling it an addiction was a bit strong, maybe it's just a bad habit that I need to break, but the way I feel sometimes now is how I felt when I used to smoke - didn't necessarily enjoy it, just had to keep on doing it.

In my blog I talk about making good choices, I should therefore just be able to choose not to have them, but it is just not that simple.

Any advice welcome :-)

Replies

• meggonkgonk
    meggonkgonk Posts: 2,066 Member
    Options
    Maybe try switching to plain coffee for a bit and then scaling back? I can't imagine that's easy on your wallet either...
  • bethdris
    bethdris Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    For the calorie part, can you get 1/2 latte and 1/2 coffee? Im a coffee drinker, but have cut back myself. Its a process.

Are you logging all the claories your drinking? That may be an eye opener right there.

Maybe get a smaller latte

I won't tell you to quit all together, b/c unless they stop making creamer I WON'T be without my coffee :)
  • melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Options
    I still have lattes now and then, mainly while traveling for work. A small Starbuck's latte with skim milk is only 100 calories. If you keep it to one a day with nonfat milk, it is easily incorporated into your day's calories and gives you a good shot of calcium to boot! I think the key is moderation- 1 a day, not 3.
  • peggylicious
    peggylicious Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    It's odd, as I'm not even really a coffee drinker, I think it's the milkiness that I go for, kind of like a comfort thing (although I wouldn't dream of drinking a cup of hot milk!!)

I have logged them, they don't look pretty on the food journal that's for sure

And no, it's not a cheap habit - have just done the maths - that's my summer holiday paid for right there!!
    If that's not an incentive, well I don't know what is!!
  • dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    As long as you are eating healthy and allot for the extra calories, go for it. If you are always over and have to give up eating heathy because of it, then that is a decision you have to make.
  • ljess
    ljess Posts: 2
    Options
    Since losing all my weight (5 and half stone) and maintained over two years now, i have become "addicted" to coffee, in fact when i look at it, i buy a coffee when infact i actually feel hungry & suppresses my appetite....

Coffee is a natural appetite suppressant, having a large cup of hot or cold coffee in the morning or afternoon will ( i know for me) stop you being hungry and snacking throughout the day...

As long at you have a "Skinny" Latte with no added sugar/syrup and include that in your daily calorie allowance you will be ok.

Are you drinking your latte's as an appetite suppressent and not even knowing it?
  • peggylicious
    peggylicious Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    wow ljess, well done on the loss and for maintaining for 2 years. not entirely sure it's acting as an appetite suppressant, I'm always hungry!!

good news I resisted going for a coffee this afternoon so I'm already 100 cals and £2 better off!!!!!
  • Lunachic77
    Lunachic77 Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    Maybe go for the small size Nonfat Latte (no syrup). The Starbucks tall version is only 100 cals. That way you get your caffeine fix without all the calories.
  • katt742
    katt742 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    I make my own at home....I like them iced and I have a reusable Starbucks cup with a lid and straw. Just mix regular brewed coffee (or instant) with skim milk and a stevia sweetener and some ice and Im on the road!! =) But I also have a reusable coffee cup with a lid and you can do the same thing with hot coffee. It will at least save you money! And the skim milk will save you calories!
  • graysmom2005
    graysmom2005 Posts: 1,882 Member
    Options
    Here in Maryland they put ALL the calories on the menu at Starbucks etc. All it really took for me was to see how many calories were in them, and then seeing how long I had to exercise to work it off. It was never worth it...now, I HEART coffee. Coffee with skim milk isn't bad at all. We actually bought to-go cups to have at the house. They are handy and help so much with the money aspect!
  • Megooo19
    Megooo19 Posts: 199
    Options
    Capresso Froth Pro Automatic Milk Frother. This thing is amazing! Although a little bit of an investment it is so worth it. You can make black coffee with 4 oz. of frothy milk with one splenda in it and you have a delicious coffee for about 42 calories.