Work in your way?

Anyone else have a difficult job to eat healthy? Im the office Manager for a very popular restaurant chain, thats known for their LARGE portions. My office is right next to the Kitchen, so I smell all the delicious foods all day! (They are cooking bacon right now....)

Replies

• the *kitten*!!! :D that sucks girl!! i have no advice, just sympathy :)
  • pretzels113
    pretzels113 Posts: 21 Member
    That would be tough! Keep a lot of healthy snacks in your office that you really like, when you want to sample or munch start with teh good snacks. Let yourself have the tempting things once a while but load up on all your favorite good snacks!
  • zenchild
    zenchild Posts: 680 Member
    It's strange but keep vanilla extract or something similar at your desk and take a whiff every once in a while. The smell of something sweet helps cut cravings. I know it seems weird but I've read about it a few times and it works for me. If I bake a batch of cookies I always double the vanilla. By the time I'm done baking, the whole house smells great and I have absolutely no desire to eat anything.
    Mints are also a good way to fix a craving. They tell your brain that you're done eating.
    Apples are good too. They have a natural appetite suppressant.
    I will snack all day if I'm stuck at a desk. That's how I gained 12 pounds in 4 months (new job) and ended up here. I'm always on the lookout for anything to cut cravings.
  • I can totally sympathize with you. My husband is a big eater and he loves chips and candy. He is by no means fat but he just eats a lot. He has a very high metabolism and he is very active in his work. So I have temptations all day long as I am a stay at home mom. Most of the time I can resist but then I have a little stress and the first thing I turn to is food, ie his chips and candy. I hate it. I guess I am not strong willed :-( Good luck to you and your will power.
  • OrganicGal
    OrganicGal Posts: 15
    You are probably talking about one of two of my all-time favorite restaurants, and I feel for you!! The smell of bacon may entice some, but not me...vegetarian. LOL I would keep LOTS of options available on hand, so if the salivary glands get to workin' overtime, you can grab for something healthy and low-cal to nosh on. It's not the same, but unless you want to end up on a TLC episode or the "Biggest Loser" you have to get the upperhand. Why not get out of your office and talk a quick stroll during the heat of the moment? That helps me. I walk thru a corridor (skywalk) on most days and pass by one of many Subways. The smell of fresh bread cooking is enough for me to run with my bib, butter bowl, and knife into their store and beg for a hot one! LOL Just stand strong. You can do it. If you mess up and have a bite of this or a bite of that, don't sweat it. Just get back on the wagon the next meal. It's not like you're eating the entire kitchen from top to bottom...as nice as that sounds. Keep your chin up...and your lips sealed. LOL