Skipping breakfast

Options
2»

Replies

• amillenium
    amillenium Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    Did you wake up today? Have you eaten today? If you answer "yes" to both questions, you have had breakfast.

There's no magic involved. Just eat whenever and whatever suits you. If you keep within your calorie goal, you will hit your weight goal.

Love this philosophy! I eat "breakfast" everyday sometimes it is at 7am and sometimes it as 11am but I am not going to eat if Im not hungry yet :P
  • WastedGetsSmaller
    WastedGetsSmaller Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I'm on team "eat when you're hungry". I think eating when we weren't hungry is how a lot of us gained weight in year first place, haha.

I never eat breakfast. I don't get hungry until about 12pm.
  • chezloseit
    chezloseit Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I find I I go out of my way to eat as soon as I'm up, I still end eating my usual 10am snack anyways. So I end up eating it for no reason at all. Everyone is different but you stick to what your body knows best. I just wait until I'm hungry too!
  • Purplebunnysarah
    Purplebunnysarah Posts: 3,252 Member
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    Just because I do, I'll mention one group that benefits from a routine breakfast. Diabetics must eat on a routine to better monitor their food intake and related blood sugar levels. So it is important for them to eat at the same time every morning and make this a routine.

This. My sugars are fine now but I had gestational diabetes and that morning breakfast was key... if I was late on it, my fasting glucose would spike as my body dumped glucose from wherever short term storage is (liver?).

Having been on a diabetic diet I find that following it roughly still works for me, at least with meal timing. But eating breakfast makes my husband gain weight as he's more prone to binge when he has it.
  • redperphexion
    redperphexion Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    I'm hardly ever hungry until 10:30/11am... I have coffee in the morning with 2% and sugar, so that ~150 gets me through to my early lunch or late snack. I often eat a snack at 3:30/4pm, and we eat supper 6/7pm. If I don't have that 3/4pm snack, I overeat at dinner. I think it's important to know how your mind and body work, instead of eating "by the rules". :)
  • brb2008
    brb2008 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    Just the past two days I have stopped forcing myself to eat at 9am. The issue for me is that after 9 at work, I end up out and about with the children i nanny for and I usually have an egg based breakfast (preference and calorie/protein practicality) and its tough to bring along. But yesterday I didnt eat until after noon, and today I made it to 10:30 before we were going somewhere that I couldn't bring my food in with me so I scarfed a few undesired bites. I do want the protein but I'm starting to consider a change in my plan for next week and see how I feel. Maybe a bigger lunch would fit my day better. I have a feeling skipping breakfast on weekends will become a habit of mine.
  • CoffeeNCardio
    CoffeeNCardio Posts: 1,847 Member
    Options
    brb2008 wrote: »
    Just the past two days I have stopped forcing myself to eat at 9am. The issue for me is that after 9 at work, I end up out and about with the children i nanny for and I usually have an egg based breakfast (preference and calorie/protein practicality) and its tough to bring along. But yesterday I didnt eat until after noon, and today I made it to 10:30 before we were going somewhere that I couldn't bring my food in with me so I scarfed a few undesired bites. I do want the protein but I'm starting to consider a change in my plan for next week and see how I feel. Maybe a bigger lunch would fit my day better. I have a feeling skipping breakfast on weekends will become a habit of mine.

You know, you can bring a hot breakfast with you if you plan ahead. I can't stand cold food first thing in the morning, hurts my stomach. Here's what I did:

Acquire a thermo-insulated lunch box (a soft squishy lunchbox with a shiny interior, the hard white plastic interior ones are for cold). Make your hot eggs or whatever and wrap them up in tin foil, then a kitchen towel, place in lunch box. If you're gonna be a long time before eating, fill a couple doubled up ziploc bags with the hottest water your sink will produce (do not microwave to get hot, do not boil water, both those temps might melt the ziploc.) and add them to your lunch box. I can keep my scrambled eggs hot for HOURS like this even on a cold day, and it takes all of 45 seconds to prepare this packaging method. I do this probably twice a week for my son cause he comes to work with me and we don't always have time in the morning to sit and eat at home. Don't forget a fork like I always do. Or you can steal one from the local gas station convenience store. Obviously this won't help if you go somewhere with "no outside food" rules, but at least on those days when you take the kids to the park or wherever, you have options.