Gym Routine

Options
I am going to start using my gym membership more, so I am wondering what is a good routine to maximize my time, burn calories and tone muscle. Should I do cardio first? Weights first? I feel I can go heavier on the weights at the gym too which I need - I am in my late 40's.

Replies

• mperrott2205
    mperrott2205 Posts: 737 Member
    Options
    First of all, if you're serious about joining the gym and getting your fitness, ditch the term "tone". It's stupid. What you mean is you want to lose fat.

In regards to a weight lifting routine, check out: http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/training.html and find a plan that you like the sound of, they all come with guides and videos on how to perform each movement.

I would recommend doing your weight lifting first, followed by some light cardio. For example, I like to walk at 5kph at a 10% incline for 20 minutes after each workout.

Good luck
  • randomsue
    randomsue Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    ^^what he said! Except, warm up first for 10-15 minutes.Most gyms offer a free trainer session, take advantage of that to get your form right if you can
  • emilydawkins2
    emilydawkins2 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Even though bodybuilding.com is great! It's not personalised for YOU! It's a good way to learn etc but if you're serious about exercise seek advice from a staff member or pt at your gym who can tailor a program that suits YOU!
    But anyways, I would personally do cardio and weights either 6 hours apart or on different days, both are demanding on the body.
    Also if you're feeling that the weights you're doing are too easy you should up to load to a resistance that is challenging but not to the extent where you're going to hurt yourself. You got to push yourself slightly even if you're not a serious lifter, otherwise you'll get no results.
    Feel free to message me or add me if you got any questions, support, motivation or simply just want a chat :) good luck!
  • beck1967
    beck1967 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone. And the word "tone" is not stupid.
  • Yi5hedr3
    Yi5hedr3 Posts: 2,696 Member
    Options
    Always pump iron first, then do cardio if you have time.