Diet Inspiration

Options
People the problem with losing weight is all food thats good for you, tastes like dried crackers with a layer of sand...... anyone got any good meal ideas that are healthy to eat.

Replies

• ambie35
    ambie35 Posts: 853 Member
    Options
    I disagree with that statement!
    "diet food" tastes like crap,
    HEALTHY food: fresh fruit and vegetables,lean meat,nuts etc tastes amazing.
    Don't have time to suggest any recipes ,sorry.
  • karlmcandrew
    karlmcandrew Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Thanks for your comments, that was exactly the help
  • karlmcandrew
    Options
    Thanks for your comments, that was exactly the help
  • pmjsmom
    pmjsmom Posts: 1,926 Member
    Options
    I disagree with that statement!
    "diet food" tastes like crap,
    HEALTHY food: fresh fruit and vegetables,lean meat,nuts etc tastes amazing.
    Don't have time to suggest any recipes ,sorry.

I agree!

Check the Recipes forum--lots of great recipes there.
  • karlmcandrew
    Options
    Why bother even commenting..... Your stating the obvious !!
  • PeachyKeene
    PeachyKeene Posts: 1,645 Member
    Options
    My favorite meal is Grilled chicken breast with skin on, to keep juicy, but don't eat the skin. I season the chicken well, lots of flavor, stewed squash & Vidalia sweet onions, and steamed broccoli & cauliflower, w/ about 1 tablespoon of cheese wiz on top. A tomato, cucumber, and Vidalia sweet onion salad with Greek Vinaigrette.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure what you mean by "diet food" since that can mean so many things to different people. I grew up in a meat & potatoes house. We ate white bread and white pasta, etc. Maybe I was lucky that when I switched to whole grains I actually preferred them. I love, love, love brown rice. It has so much more flavor than white.

A shrimp and veggie stir fry over brown rice is one of favorite "diet" meals, though I don't really think of it as a diet meal.

Stir fries of any kind are delicious and healthy when served with a whole grain. Broccoli and peanuts stir fried together then served over quinoa or brown rice with a little soy sauce is SO yummy.

Spicy kidney or red beans and brown rice is another (saute diced onions, jalapeno, celery and carrots in olive oil, add a drained can of low sodium beans and some spices, then add liquid and rice and let it all cook together until the rice is done). If you're in a hurry use instant brown rice and this can be prepared in about 15 min.

Saute lean beef cubes and mushrooms just until browned then add liquid and barley and cook all till the barley is done. Barley and mushrooms were made for each other.

Saute strips of bell pepper and onion with lean beef or chicken and serve on a low carb wrap with pico de gallo for healthy fajitas.
  • karlmcandrew
    Options
    Cheers, might try a few of these ideas, by diet food i only mean healthy.
  • duncanryan
    duncanryan Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Rocco Dispirito's book - Now Eat This is amazing. Have had 4 or 5 of the recipes in the past 2 weeks and all have been great!
  • mosneakers
    mosneakers Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure what you mean by "diet food" since that can mean so many things to different people. I grew up in a meat & potatoes house. We ate white bread and white pasta, etc. Maybe I was lucky that when I switched to whole grains I actually preferred them. I love, love, love brown rice. It has so much more flavor than white.

A shrimp and veggie stir fry over brown rice is one of favorite "diet" meals, though I don't really think of it as a diet meal.

Stir fries of any kind are delicious and healthy when served with a whole grain. Broccoli and peanuts stir fried together then served over quinoa or brown rice with a little soy sauce is SO yummy.

Spicy kidney or red beans and brown rice is another (saute diced onions, jalapeno, celery and carrots in olive oil, add a drained can of low sodium beans and some spices, then add liquid and rice and let it all cook together until the rice is done). If you're in a hurry use instant brown rice and this can be prepared in about 15 min.

Saute lean beef cubes and mushrooms just until browned then add liquid and barley and cook all till the barley is done. Barley and mushrooms were made for each other.

Saute strips of bell pepper and onion with lean beef or chicken and serve on a low carb wrap with pico de gallo for healthy fajitas.

These sound great!!!

I try substituting with my fav foods:
    whole wheat english muffin, spaghetti sause and low fat cheese for a mini pizza
    Ground turkey instead of ground beef for tacos
  • BeachGurl815
    BeachGurl815 Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    Start out small. If you are used to white rice, switch to brown, same with bread and pasta too. Substitute lean ground turkey for ground beef. I made turkey burgers on the grill last weekend and just seasoned them with a little chili lime Mrs. Dash., added 2% american cheese. They were delish. Turkey tacos were a good suggestion, you can hardly tell the difference from the beef.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    People the problem with losing weight is all food thats good for you, tastes like dried crackers with a layer of sand...... anyone got any good meal ideas that are healthy to eat.

Hey, I took a look at your diary and my suggestion would be more vegetables and more variety. And honestly a little more food. Your diary made me hungry. I'm not a big fan of raw vegetables, but those are certainly great if you like them. I like mine stir fried or roasted to a crisp tender stage. Lean cuts of beef and pork don't have more fat than skinless chicken breasts, so maybe substitute those some nights. And add more vegetable proteins - beans, nuts, whole grains. Those are high in calories but also high in nutrients and just a little added to other foods really fills you up. And of course fish is a great protein for dinner.

I don't know if any of that is helpful, but those are things that worked for me.
  • karlmcandrew
    Options
    Hey, I took a look at your diary and my suggestion would be more vegetables and more variety. And honestly a little more food. Your diary made me hungry. I'm not a big fan of raw vegetables, but those are certainly great if you like them. I like mine stir fried or roasted to a crisp tender stage. Lean cuts of beef and pork don't have more fat than skinless chicken breasts, so maybe substitute those some nights. And add more vegetable proteins - beans, nuts, whole grains. Those are high in calories but also high in nutrients and just a little added to other foods really fills you up. And of course fish is a great protein for dinner.

I don't know if any of that is helpful, but those are things that worked for me.

yeh I realise im not eating much, the problem i have is im working to 1500 cals a day plus what i add with training.