Scales vs Wii Fit

Options
Hi everyone!
I have been doing this for about 5 or 6 weeks now and am pleased to say I have lost 13lbs!
Or have I? :huh:
When I started I used my Wii Fit to calculate my weight as I didn't have any scales. I have since got some but they don't record the same weight as the Wii Fit does. Sometimes they are 2 or 3lb more or less. I'm getting confused!
I don't get a chance to weigh myself in the mornings so I do it when I get home around 5pm. I usually weigh in on the Wii first and then I get on the scales straight after to check what they say but it's usually a couple of pounds different.
I;m thinking of ditching one or the other and just using one. Which do you think I should rely on? Which is most accurate?

Replies

• craftydeb
    craftydeb Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I think you should just pick one and stick with that...don't be going back and forth or you won't be accurate when you post your weight on the site.
  • annarface
    annarface Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    My Wii Fit says I'm 45kg, our scales in the upstairs bathroom say I'm 47kg and the scales in our downstairs bathroom say I'm 44kg. So from that, my Wii Fit seems more accurate because the scales downstairs are brand new and digital, compared to my old ones upstairs. So I assume the Wii Fit is fairly accurate... but that's just me. If I remember correctly when I got weighed at the doctors, it was similar to the Wii Fit's recording too.
  • o0WatchMeShrink0o
    Options
    My Wii always shows 2 pounds LESS then my scale :S i go after my scale because i weigh in first thing in the morning
  • inn0c3ntbbygrlx3
    Options
    i use the wii fit, since i have no other scales...plus i like it cause it does my bmi as well, even if its off a pound or 2, im ok with that, but i dont weigh myself every day i do it once a week, but i also do the wii fit weigh in, in the nude so that way im getting some what of an accurate weigh in
  • haleys23
    haleys23 Posts: 1
    Options
    The wii fit scales are more accurate when on a hard surface floor rather than carpet. Try using it on a hard surface if you haven't been!
  • Purple_Orchid_87
    Purple_Orchid_87 Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    my wii fit told me i weighed a lot less than my drs scales but my starting weight on my wii fit was the same difference as it is now, so i know how much ive lost - just hvae kinda 2 starting weights adn 2 current weights lol

oh, and i have my own bathroom scales :) so technically 3
  • scooby1298
    scooby1298 Posts: 18
    Options
    Question When you weigh on the scales do you place them in exactly the same spot, and are they level - if not then I am afraid they will always give yoy a different reading. The Wii fit board on the other hand is effectively a digital transmitter to a computer and the computer software interprets the signals.
    As others have said previously choose one and stick to it, my personal favourite is the Wii in that I also weigh once a week at the cardio rehab gym I go to, where they have leveled, secured scales and guess what - I way almost the same give or take a few ounces.

:blushing: :drinker: :laugh: :wink: :smile:
  • cappi_18
    cappi_18 Posts: 9
    Options
    I did exactly the same as you. I started weighing on my wii fit too when I started my weight loss journey. I have just purchased digital scales. They say I am heavier than the wii fit, which is kind of depressing. ha. I would think the digital scales are probably more accurate. But I weigh once a week and Ive decided to weigh on both. Gives me a round about idea of what I weigh. I like seeing the numbers go down each week but I like more to feel it in my clothes :)
  • jetsec
    jetsec Posts: 79
    Options
    My scales and my Wii Fit board are always within 1lb of each other so I guess they are pretty accurate. As the others have said, choose 1 for your "official" weigh in and just use the other as a guide.

Good luck.

Jayne
    x
  • velvetkat
    velvetkat Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    I weigh first thing in the morning on my Wii Fit. I find that as long as you are consistent with which one you weigh on it really doesnt matter. I am still losing a pound whether I weigh 150 on the Wii fit or 149 on the scale. Be sure you keep you batteries fresh in the Wii or you may have a problem. When i go to the gym in the afternoon and they weigh me for my monthly check in during training I am usually about 5lbs more but I have eaten 2 meals and drank a lot of water plus I am weighing with all my clothes and shoes on. I don't even compare that at all to my scale weight, just compare it to the month before at training.
    Just pick one and stick with it and you will do fine.

Good luck!

url=http://www.myfitnesspal.com/weight-loss-ticker]4925355.png[/url]
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • becka63
    becka63 Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    My (new, digital) scales show me 1/2lb lighter than my wii fit. I also think I over calculate the clothes weight on them, so I use that to track my weight and my scales to monitor my weight. It's only a tiny amount so I don't get too upset by it!
  • purplepollypops
    purplepollypops Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    Question When you weigh on the scales do you place them in exactly the same spot, and are they level - if not then I am afraid they will always give yoy a different reading. The Wii fit board on the other hand is effectively a digital transmitter to a computer and the computer software interprets the signals.
    As others have said previously choose one and stick to it, my personal favourite is the Wii in that I also weigh once a week at the cardio rehab gym I go to, where they have leveled, secured scales and guess what - I way almost the same give or take a few ounces.

:blushing: :drinker: :laugh: :wink: :smile:

Yes the scales are in the same spot on a hard surface every time. The Wii Fit board however is not. It's on carpet and I can't change it as the only hard surface I have is in the kitchen or bathroom, neither of which I can use the board in! :laugh:

I think I will ditch the scales for now and just go with the Wii. Might get them out once I have lost a significant amount to check them once more, they should be accurate though as they are brand new digital ones. Another waste of money :sad: lol
  • Febgirl
    Febgirl Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I use the Wii as I like the graphs showing weight loss and BMI option.
  • Yooperm35
    Yooperm35 Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    I changed the wii fit so it shows my clothes as 0#, then it is the same as my bathroom scale. Wii active scale is right on with my bathroom scale
  • marianne_s
    marianne_s Posts: 986 Member
    Options
    Yes the scales are in the same spot on a hard surface every time. The Wii Fit board however is not. It's on carpet and I can't change it as the only hard surface I have is in the kitchen or bathroom, neither of which I can use the board in! :laugh:

I think I will ditch the scales for now and just go with the Wii. Might get them out once I have lost a significant amount to check them once more, they should be accurate though as they are brand new digital ones. Another waste of money :sad: lol

I think you would be better off using your scales, because they're on a hard surface - which is going to be more accurate than the Wii due to pressure points of being on carpet.

Plus, you could weigh yourself in the bathroom every morning - at the beginning of the day when you haven't eaten or drank anything.
  • sunnybigmc
    sunnybigmc Posts: 29
    Options
    Stick to the one u started with. u know how much you've lost based on that so stick with that :) i use my wii fit too!
  • chrisyoung0422
    chrisyoung0422 Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    I agree you need to pick one and stick to it.

Personally I tossed my digital scale in the closet and use the Wii for play. When I weigh in it is @ the gym now on the same type of scale you see in a dr's office. These will always be the most accurate from what I have seen.
  • chickielou
    chickielou Posts: 47
    Options
    I think the WII is a bit mean how it makes me feel seriously overweight with making your MII blob out and go "ba bum" and looking down in shock at yourself.........and tells me my Ideal BMI is actually a very unrealistic goal for me.......which is a weight that no matter what ive done takes severe dieting and insane exercising to reach
  • Bri_and_Oli_Mum
    Options
    Does anyone know how far away the sensor on the wii fit board will work. like can I put it in the kitchen and still use it there?
  • carpediem3
    carpediem3 Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    I use my wii fit every time. It is VERY close to my drs scale. I say stick with the one you originally used :)