P90X-HELP from those that are using a HRM!

Options
I think something is wrong with the HRM(EKHO FiT19) I got a couple months ago. I am curious as to how many calories you burn with P90X workouts per your HRM.

I am 5'2", CW 145, 31YO, FEMALE and burning 200-250 calorie per workout. I am pushing beyond EVERY workout and don't understand why the HRM is giving such low numbers =\

Replies

• mallorybriann
    mallorybriann Posts: 1,380 Member
    Options
    Wow... that does seem low.
    Does it have a chest strap?
  • bootlebop1979
    Options
    Yes, it does have the chest strap.
  • Helice
    Helice Posts: 1,075 Member
    Options
    one of my MFP friends uses a HRM when he does his P90X and he burns about 700 calories with each workout...
    And im guessing that i burn ATLEAST 400 calories per workout...
  • sburt1
    sburt1 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I know how you feel mine does the same thing so I guestimate!!! What kind of HRM is it?
  • btor
    btor Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    I was JUST thinking this the other day! Last night I did Kenpo X and burned 280 calories for 60 minutes. During other cardio (treadmill, stairmaster, etc) I typically burn 500 calories for 60 minutes. I guess I just try to take into account that it is also doing toning and muscle building- something to mix up my typical routine.
  • tasha30
    tasha30 Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    I just started P90x, I dont have a HRM yet but thanks for posting yours. I will not buy that brand! :wink:
  • mzenzer
    mzenzer Posts: 503 Member
    Options
    That seems a bit low. Of course my burn is going to be very different from yours even with the same HRM but I can get an 700-900 calorie burn on a good day. This may sound like a stupid question, but are you sweating a lot? You are pushing hard so I'm sure you are unless you are really cranking down the A/C, but anyway the HRM needs a good, lubricated contact with the skin to work right, and it needs to be fairly snug on your body. Mine has a hard time getting a reading until I start sweating or use a lubricant.
  • jamie1888
    jamie1888 Posts: 1,704 Member
    Options
    There's no way to guess how many calories you burn. Some P90x workouts (strength training days), I would burn 300'ish. I'm 5'8", around 165 - 170 at the time. My biggest calorie burn was Plyometrics where I would get upwards of 500 calories. Based on that, I don't think it's hard to believe you are burning 250'ish. "pushing beyond" is a very subjective term!

Edit to add:
    My husband has a much higher metabolism than I do. So, he will easily burn 200 - 300 more calories than I would during the same workout.
  • yiffanarff
    yiffanarff Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Is that just the strength training workouts, or the cardio ones as well? I just asked a similar question in one of the p90x groups, because I noticed a lot of other people logging burns like 6-700 calories for legs and back, for example. I tend to burn somewhere around 275-300 cals on strength days, and 500-600 on cardio. I think a lot depends on your size, and how much weight you have to lose, and probably your activity level. I'm 5'6, 132 pounds, and have a really active job. Plus I don't drive, so I walk everywhere, so I guess it makes sense that I don't burn as much as someone who works at a desk all day, and then starts hardcore working out? I'm not really sure how these things work. :p
  • mallorybriann
    mallorybriann Posts: 1,380 Member
    Options
    I would say a burn of 500 to 700 or so is more accurate. All depends though...
    I have a Polar and you have to wet the strap and make sure it has good contact with your skin.
  • socalg
    socalg Posts: 8
    Options
    I think something is wrong with the HRM(EKHO FiT19) I got a couple months ago. I am curious as to how many calories you burn with P90X workouts per your HRM.

I am 5'2", CW 145, 31YO, FEMALE and burning 200-250 calorie per workout. I am pushing beyond EVERY workout and don't understand why the HRM is giving such low numbers =\

- Can you tell us what your heart rate is registering or the % of max heart rate during your workouts as well. 250 cals seems really low.

- Does the HRM allow you to enter your specifics (age, weight, M/F) in before you start?
  • bootlebop1979
    Options
    I am doing the "lean" version. Maybe I'm just not pushing myself hard enough. Although, some days I feel as if I'm going to pass out. That's why I feel that I am pushing myself further than "comfortable".

Last workout-Cardio X: I'm just confused because my workout parter burned over 600cals vs. my 191cals =\ I completed all the workouts just as he did and he told me that he felt I worked harder than he did. Yes, we are different. He is male, 6'2", 225 and has a different HRM than I do. However, both HRM's have the chest strap. I checked my stats after we completed Cardio X and MXP-170, AVG-132 %MXP-59.

On the plus side of things, I'M FEELING GREAT AND SEEING RESULTS =)
  • sweetsarahj
    sweetsarahj Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    I was told by a personal triainer that a relatively fit person burns about 10-12 cals per minute during a relatively hard workout... it is a very subjective calculation. Some people burn more easily than others. Sorry that's not much of an answer!

One thing you might do, is read some product reviews online for the make and model of your HRM. That way, you can see if other people have similar concners.
  • ehilgeman
    ehilgeman Posts: 45
    Options
    I was having all kinds of trouble with my HRM. It was registering my heart rate correctly and everything, but all the calories burned were SUPER low - similar story. I had to go in and manually adjust the activity level and VO2 max settings they assigned me and, since then, I've been getting more reasonable readings (still a little low, but I probably cheat upwards with portion sizes a bit sometimes too). Check to see if your watch has those settings. Here's some info on VO2 max, but there's loads out there to help you do a rough calculation: http://www.concept2.com/us/interactive/calculators/vo2max.asp