Self Sabotage! Night Time binging! Help!

Options
Hi all,

I need some tips/advice/motivation please....i came back from my holiday 2 weeks ago and after losing 4lbs due to bad food so little eating on holiday, when i got back i was worried that would end up putting things back on as had kind of got out of the strict calorie counting mindset.

Now i have been planning my meals before do my shop, then buy just the ingredients healthy snaks etc i need. I have been filling in my diary in the morning, have made sure all breakfasts/lunchs/dinners are healthy, balanced, always leaving me slightly under on calorie goal to allow for few snacks (healthy). I have been exercising indoors daily, either just sit ups, leg lifts, push ups etc, or an exercise DVD for 15-30 minutes, and i have been drinkning at least 2 litres of water a day.

But....it gets to night time, my partner goes to the shop, comes back with chocolate/biiscuits etc to sit and have after dinner with a cuppa and i cant resist, i end up giving in and binging on chocloate or biscuits.

I weighed myself tuesday yesterday and today and since i have been back from turkey 2 weeks ago i have put back on the 4lbs i lost :( i feel so mad and disgusted with myself, i dont see how i have gone that far over on my calories to allow for 4lb weight gain, that has got to mean i have eaten 1000 cals over a day for the last 2 weeks, and i know for a fact i havent done that, but i would say that on 5/6 occasions i have gone over by 350-500cals. would i really have put on 4lbs?

Help please?!

:frown:

Replies

• bridetobe310711
    Options
    i am the same! the night time binging is the hardest for me! during the day i am good have only an apple and all bran with skimmed milk.......... tea time i am good have a nice healthy salad............................................... as the night gets on.... i NEED choc! and give in... the hubby is a bugger!!!!!! he goes shop and brings lots back!!!!!!! its ok for him he doesnt gain weight! i look at food and put on a stone!!!
  • sd892310
    sd892310 Posts: 151
    Options
    i am the same! the night time binging is the hardest for me! during the day i am good have only an apple and all bran with skimmed milk.......... tea time i am good have a nice healthy salad............................................... as the night gets on.... i NEED choc! and give in... the hubby is a bugger!!!!!! he goes shop and brings lots back!!!!!!! its ok for him he doesnt gain weight! i look at food and put on a stone!!!

is exactly the same for me, i always tell him to but biscuits or chocolate that he likes and i dont like, but that will only last one/two visits then he'll start coming back with the nice chocolates again! I know it boils down to will power...but i dont have any! Needing to figure out a solution lol
  • Joanne4494
    Joanne4494 Posts: 26 Member
    Options

is exactly the same for me, i always tell him to but biscuits or chocolate that he likes and i dont like, but that will only last one/two visits then he'll start coming back with the nice chocolates again! I know it boils down to will power...but i dont have any! Needing to figure out a solution lol

Why not try doing your exercise on a night when your hubby is eating biscuits then you have something to distract you. :smile:
  • xraychick77
    xraychick77 Posts: 1,775 Member
    Options
    probably bloat. myself..i fluctuate plus minus 5 lbs all the time
  • xraychick77
    xraychick77 Posts: 1,775 Member
    Options
    probably bloat. myself..i fluctuate plus minus 5 lbs all the time
  • Febgirl
    Febgirl Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Try flavor infused green tea (like green tea and raspberry or orange) I've found it great for reducing sugar cravings after dinner. Apparently green tea is an appetite suppressant as well.
  • keiraev
    keiraev Posts: 695 Member
    Options
    This is exactly what I used to be like before I started this thing properly- lose a couple of pounds then ruin it all with one fell swoop & usually because of husband buying biscuits (why are they like that!?!).

When he realised it wasn't doing his weight any favours either he stopped, and now if we want something sweet after dinner we either have yoghurt or nice fruit like strawberries, rhubarb etc

If I really want chocolate I have two squares of dark chocolate which you literally can't binge on coz it's too rich - it's the first time a bar has lasted me longer than a week if that was milk choc I would eat it in one go!

I actually used to eat a lot of my sweet things BEFORE dinner but have now learned to go and do some exercise instead.
  • evenidomhnaill
    Options
    Why not try pink and whites they are marshmallow in wafer low in cals and are sweet enough to get rid of cravings or buy a mini bar like kids milky bar small enough that it wont do too much damage. Other options are breakfast bars are about 100 cals and some of them are really sweet and have choc in them. Sugar free jelly is another good option also you can get some chocolate moose that is really low in calories if i remember tesco used to do one or maybe a low calorie hot chocolate drink would keep you going through the evening. I would keep reminding your husband that you don't want anything and if he does bring something back put it in a tin for visitors( even ask him to hide it in-case you have a weak will power moment) you are less likely to cave if you have treats on hand that you dont feel guilty about having
  • celestedavis
    celestedavis Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Don't despair! If you put on that weight that fast it is inflammation; get back on track and it will drop quickly. Some of us get our eating cues from others. If we are with someone who is eating then we eat; many times we do that in other areas of life, follow what we see, kind of like monkeys, LOL! Start to be aware of "how" you eat; are you getting your food cues from others? Try focusing on YOUR FOOD when you eat, not visiting, watching TV or being in front of the computer or book, then when you are faced with other people eating things you won't be so likely to eat too, if you are not hungry.

I try to have some treats that I know are good choices, when we are with people who eat things I don't want to eat, I get out my good treats and enjoy them.

Also.....craving foods is our body's way of letting us know what it needs, like the "check engine" light on a car. If you are craving carbs, sugar, chocolate your body, life or emotions may be out of balance, so you crave things that affect your blood sugar. Use these cravings to get in touch with your insides; what is out of balance. Instead of loading up on biscuits and chocolate eat some fresh juice fruit, if someone else is bringing in the food, ask for what you want, or go get it yourself.

If you are craving fats, salt and protein your body is letting you know it needs stimulation. That could mean that your female hormones are on overdrive, your adrenals are not working at top performance or your just plain tired and need some sleep. Fast, salt and protein are stimulants, instead of chips and dip or a big steak or fried chicken eat some nuts and seeds, just remember they do have good fat but too much good fat makes bad fat on our body! Hummus and veggies is another good protein/fat/salt substitute.

I've also found that drinking freshly extracted veggie juice every day is so nourishing to my body that I don't crave anything any longer so I only have treats when I decide I want one; not because of body, emotions or social pressure.

Best Wishes!
  • Sarah_uk
    Sarah_uk Posts: 209
    Options
    Why don't you save some calories in the daytime to eat something nice in the evening?? And buy the snacks beforehand? ('healthy' crisps,breadsticks,nuts,small chocolate bar etc) That way you can still have some snacks and enjoy yourself while not feeling deprived.

Drinking water can help aswell,,but if this is a daily thing it will probably make you feel deprived if you do that daily. (because you'll have to watch him eating chocolate)
  • graysmom2005
    graysmom2005 Posts: 1,882 Member
    Options
    First of all my heart goes out as I'm originally from England and they have the BEST CHOCOLATE. Nothing beats Cadbury. Or Jaffa Cakes! :-D If I want chocolate I eat a Jello mousse in dark chocolate and put a little whipped cream on top, or I have a 100 calorie ice cream sandwich. It gives me the chocolate, but for 100 calories or less. Talk to your hubby and tell him he is causing agony! Is there another t.v. you could watch or HE could watch while he eats his chocolate so your not forced to be around it? Night time is the hardest for me too. I hear you!
  • sd892310
    sd892310 Posts: 151
    Options
    Thank you for all your replies! Glad to know i'm not the o;ly one who gets these cravings! Some good tips on here, will have to start and put some of these into action and see if they can help.

Hate the binging, just undoing all the hard work i've put in!

Glad to know that chances of it being real weight gain are unlikely tho! :happy:
  • AngieM76
    AngieM76 Posts: 622 Member
    Options

How many pounds is a stone? I see people say that all the time but I have no idea what it means.
  • stoli2812
    stoli2812 Posts: 11 Member
    Options

How many pounds is a stone? I see people say that all the time but I have no idea what it means.

Hiya, there are 14lbs to a stone :)
  • AngieM76
    AngieM76 Posts: 622 Member
    Options
    Thank you!!