Looking at getting a Fitbit and don't know where to start...

So I'm finally caving and looking into getting a Fitbit. I never really saw the point of one before as my phone has a pedometer in it and I always have my phone with me. But I'm starting to get more frustrated and I think a Fitbit is that best answer. But I have no idea where to start or what kind to get.

Here's some info about me so people can give the best advice. I'm not a huge fan of running for a workout which is why the pedometer is no longer my best option. Instead I tend to do Zumba, Cize, Tabata, CXWORX, etc. and I have no way to measure how many calories I'm burning to log. I need something that's compatible with my Samsung Galaxy S5. If I can help it at all, I don't want to spend a ton of money.

Thanks in advance for the advice!

Replies

• Fitwarrior7_Round_2
    Fitwarrior7_Round_2 Posts: 453 Member
    Get the fitbit Charge. I have this model and it calculates steps, calories burned, floors climbed, distance as well as steps. And it's compatible with the Galaxy S5. It even alerts you when you have a call coming in and shows you on your fitbit who is calling. Hope this helps! Price wise I think it runs about $130.
  • mmarshall74
    mmarshall74 Posts: 183 Member
    I really like the Fitbit Charge HR... regardless of the type of activity you do it tracks your heart rate to calculate the calorie burn. Pretty comfortable on the wrist. Could be cheaper at $150. But there are much more expensive options. I really like you can challenge other with fitbits to daily or weekly challenges (only on steps... but still cool). I use it with iPhone and the app is pretty good. It does support android also.
  • ag6352
    ag6352 Posts: 5 Member
    I've been wearing the Fitbit Charge HR for just over a week and it is great. The only down side I've found is when I do intense exercise and get very sweaty (I'm doing Insanity atm) it often can't read my HR! I know it takes an average to best calculate the calories burned etc but when it does get a reading again it sometimes shows a lot lower than I know my HR is which won't help when it works out the average!!
  • DaddieCat
    DaddieCat Posts: 3,643 Member
    Heart rate monitors are really only accurate for steady state cardio. The rest of the calculation is accomplished by algorithm. As long as your workouts are varied in intensity and activity, a heart rate monitor will, at best, only give you an estimation due to the nature of the algorithm used to calculate calories burned.

No device will be entirely accurate.

With that said. I like my fitbit. I use it all the time. But I'm a junky for data metrics and I track everything.
  • gaelicstorm26
    gaelicstorm26 Posts: 589 Member
    I currently have a Fitbit Flex and put a Fitbit Charge HR on my wishlist for Christmas ;)

The Flex is too basic and I want the heart rate measure and added features of the Charge HR. Overall I'm a very happy Fitbit customer. I like the sync system and the dashboard system for looking at my stats.
  • Khovde07
    Khovde07 Posts: 508 Member
    Ok so I've narrowed it down between the Charge and the Charge HR. What's the thoughts between the 2? Is it worth paying an extra $20 for the continuous heart monitor?
  • mhelsquare
    mhelsquare Posts: 1 Member
    with your type of workout either charge hr or surge.