Pre workout supps

Options
Obviously doing everything all natural is the way to go, but a little boost never hurts. Anyone have recommendations on a good pre workout and or fat burning supplements. Thanks.

Replies

• socioseguro
    socioseguro Posts: 1,679 Member
    Options
    The only fat burning I know is cardio at more than 85% of your maximum heart rate. :):)
    I prepare my own protein shake with whey protein isolate mixed with one banana and almond milk. I take it at least 45 minutes before my workout ( 5 am)
    Good luck in your healthy journey
  • kcaughron959
    kcaughron959 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    :)
    The only fat burning I know is cardio at more than 85% of your maximum heart rate. :):)
    I prepare my own protein shake with whey protein isolate mixed with one banana and almond milk. I take it at least 45 minutes before my workout ( 5 am)

• jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    caffeine

/thread.
  • AlexPhillips0822
    AlexPhillips0822 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    If your workouts are more strength training oriented and not cardio, I would suggest creatine and/or Beta Alanine. Creatine will give you a strength boost betwen 4 & 8 reps, Beta Alanine delays lactic acid build up and is ideal at higher reps (8-15). A lot of pre-workout supplements will incorporate both into their mix as well as caffeine for a nervous system boost. If that's what you're looking for I can recommend a few good ones I have used in the past.
  • southhamptonmike
    southhamptonmike Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I usually take a zip fizz B12 drink before and protein drink after.
  • DaddieCat
    DaddieCat Posts: 3,643 Member
    Options
    If your workouts are more strength training oriented and not cardio, I would suggest creatine and/or Beta Alanine. Creatine will give you a strength boost betwen 4 & 8 reps, Beta Alanine delays lactic acid build up and is ideal at higher reps (8-15). A lot of pre-workout supplements will incorporate both into their mix as well as caffeine for a nervous system boost. If that's what you're looking for I can recommend a few good ones I have used in the past.

What does lactic acid build up have to do with things? All recent studies show that lactic acid flushes from the muscles almost immediately after exertion ends and does not cause DOMS or muscle pain.

http://www.scientificamerican.com/article/why-does-lactic-acid-buil/
    http://biohorizons.oxfordjournals.org/content/7/hzu001.full

• RunnersLament
    RunnersLament Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    It depends on what you are doing (cardio, strength etc.)but for the most part supplements just result in expensive urine. Scientifically, there just aren't many supplements out there that will significantly improve your performance or recovery.

A properly constructed and balanced diet will yield better results over the long term. A good guide you may want to look at is the IAAF Practical Guide to Nutrition.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,402 MFP Moderator
    edited October 2015
    Options
    With the exception of caffeine (and this one is very individualize as caffeine doesn't effect everyone the same) and creatine monohydrate, most supplements don't do crap. And there are a lot of things that need to be addressed prior to nutrient timing.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,402 MFP Moderator
    Options

Fat burning zones are debunked. Cardio will burn calories, but your diet will determine if you will overall burn body fat.
  • armylife
    armylife Posts: 196 Member
    Options

What does lactic acid build up have to do with things? All recent studies show that lactic acid flushes from the muscles almost immediately after exertion ends and does not cause DOMS or muscle pain.

http://www.scientificamerican.com/article/why-does-lactic-acid-buil/
    http://biohorizons.oxfordjournals.org/content/7/hzu001.full

How dare you use science to prove a point. You're expected to make wild and unresearched claims.

To the OP, the reason people feel it is generally better to do things without the help of the pre-workout supplements is the lack of regulation and the sneaky use of "proprietary blend" to disguise the true contents of most supplements. If you do want to take one, look for ones with a "nutrition facts" label and not a "supplement facts" label. Miss iron Canada posted one a while back, but I am too lazy to search for it right now.
  • rontafoya
    rontafoya Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    Fat burning and pre-workout are separate issues in my view. Check out muscleforlife.com, Michael Matthews. He knows what he is talking about. His preworkout he sells is good. Here is a youtube vid: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WHO0ZXQx9X8 For pre-workout stack (for strength, focus, performance), caffeine (350-500 mg), beta alanine (5 g), and citrulline (8 g). There are other things you can add, but basically, that will get it done.
  • ROBOTFOOD
    ROBOTFOOD Posts: 5,527 Member
    Options
    2-3 scoops of C4 = DEADLIFT pr. Good enough for me! Start with 1 scoop.
  • kcaughron959
    kcaughron959 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Alright let's just skip the original question and get straight to the illegal stuff like wynstrol, so I can get jacked Hahahaha