This may seem strange...

Options
I had a friend tell me today that while I'm cleaning, cooking, etc., I should rub lotion on my stomach and wrap myself tightly with saran wrap. She said it's supposed to make you sweat and help you lose inches. Has anybody else heard of this? Or is it a real thing?

Replies

• esaucier17
    esaucier17 Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    It's probably like one of those wrap things people sell at parties...I think it's called "It Works"... this sounds like a homemade one. You lose inches but only temporarily.
  • MommyL2015
    MommyL2015 Posts: 1,411 Member
    Options
    You'll sweat and lose water, not fat.
  • Mediocrates55
    Mediocrates55 Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    Bogus tip. It's like those "It Works!" wraps. It can result in a brief reduction of size, but it is certainly brief and temporary. I'm afraid there is no magic. :-(
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    You'll temporarily lose some water weight, but this won't do anything to help you lose fat. It's just a gimmick.

If you do decide to do this, be careful. Some people have become dehydrated through trying things like this.
  • boymommy3x
    boymommy3x Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Thank you! I just wasn't sure because I've never heard of it before so I was like "what are you even talking about" hah.
  • ahoier
    ahoier Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    you guessed it, it is strange....and yes it is temporary.....now if you have a history of water retention, that would help in that aspect possibly.....but I'm no Dr......lol...similar effect as a sauna suit, etc...lol
  • daniwilford
    daniwilford Posts: 1,030 Member
    Options
    It doesn't work for fat loss and it sounds miserable. The one word that comes to mind is moist.
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    Does this friend perhaps have a habit of planting hidden video cameras in people's homes and submitting the resulting funny videos for a chance to win $10,000?

:)

Seriously though, as the others have said, this sounds like a friend I would never consider taking weight management advice from.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    It doesn't work for fat loss and it sounds miserable. The one word that comes to mind is moist.

No kidding! Cleaning the house is miserable enough without slathering myself in lotion, covering myself with plastic, and sweating everywhere.
  • enterdanger
    enterdanger Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    hahahahaha. Thanks for sharing. That is hilarious.
  • boymommy3x
    boymommy3x Posts: 36 Member
    Options

Don't you EVER say that word again lol
  • _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    Options
    mamarissy wrote: »
    I had a friend tell me today that while I'm cleaning, cooking, etc., I should rub lotion on my stomach and wrap myself tightly with saran wrap. She said it's supposed to make you sweat and help you lose inches. Has anybody else heard of this? Or is it a real thing?

Your friend sounds like a bit of a freak.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    I'm sure she meant roll saran wrap across the bed and slather it with lotion, so when you were DONE cleaning.....you could burn extra calories.
    Because, really, who would possibly suggest something so silly as to wrap it around yourself? All it would do would give you temporary water loss.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options

This is my favorite post of the day. It's so spot on. Shudder.
  • DYELB
    DYELB Posts: 7,407 Member
    Options
    Is your friend Dexter?
  • _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    Options
    fresh_nap_moist_towelettes_1000ct.jpg
  • esaucier17
    esaucier17 Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    mamarissy wrote: »

Don't you EVER say that word again lol

My mom told me that is the most hated word in the US...lol
    I believe it. Gross.
  • DaddieCat
    DaddieCat Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    I did wrap myself in saran wrap once for a dare on my last day of high school many years ago. I wrapped from head to toe (minus my hands and face) and stayed that way for most of the day... it was the most miserable day ever... and yes... very, very

• juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    moistmeme.jpg