Bikram Yoga (Hot Yoga)

Options
Ok, so I've had this 7 day pass to a Bikram yoga studio for about a month, so today i decided to actually put the pass to use. It was a 90 minute session and it was actually my very first time doing yoga, I never really considered myself a very limber person but to my surprise i think I did very well. I lasted the entire 90 minutes with only 1-2 few seconds of resting on postures that I was very unbalanced. I will be back their tomorrow. My body feels so good at this moment, the sore muscles :grumble: I went in the class with are gone:bigsmile: . Has anyone here tried the Bikram Yoga? If so what are your thoughts?

Replies

• 4real
    4real Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Ok, so I've had this 7 day pass to a Bikram yoga studio for about a month, so today i decided to actually put the pass to use. It was a 90 minute session and it was actually my very first time doing yoga, I never really considered myself a very limber person but to my surprise i think I did very well. I lasted the entire 90 minutes with only 1-2 few seconds of resting on postures that I was very unbalanced. I will be back their tomorrow. My body feels so good at this moment, the sore muscles :grumble: I went in the class with are gone:bigsmile: . Has anyone here tried the Bikram Yoga? If so what are your thoughts?
  • hibbler22
    hibbler22 Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    I havent tried Bikram Yoga before! I just tried regular yoga tuesday and going to do it again thursday. I did better than I thought I would do as well. Some of the movements I couldnt do so I did the modified versions.
  • sawtoothtye
    Options
    any kind of yoga rocks!!!!!
  • 4real
    Options
    The heat had me sweating so much, to where my entire workout clothes was drenched.
  • GingerKid
    Options
    I've done it. I love it! Well, like after I'm done.

In there, it's really flippin hot!

When I put into calorie calculators, I find Bikram burns somewhere in the neighborhood of 1300 cals for the 90 min class!:noway:

I believe it though. It's hard!

WTG!
  • 4real
    Options
    I've done it. I love it! Well, like after I'm done.

In there, it's really flippin hot!

When I put into calorie calculators, I find Bikram burns somewhere in the neighborhood of 1300 cals for the 90 min class!:noway:

I believe it though. It's hard!

WTG!

I dont wear a HRM, so I was wondering what are the calories that burn during a 90 min session. I do understand that you aso have to take into account your weight, and other factors. What calorie calculator are you using?
  • lessertess
    lessertess Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    I've been wanting to try it but they don't offer it anywhere around here. I've a friend who lives in Richmond who takes it and loves it. I'm hoping to give it a try the next time I visit.
  • GingerKid
    Options

I dont wear a HRM, so I was wondering what are the calories that burn during a 90 min session. I do understand that you aso have to take into account your weight, and other factors. What calorie calculator are you using?

I don't wear a HRM there either. Probably goes against that whole yoga "be in the moment thing :lol:

I just googled calorie calculator bikram yoga....tried a few of them and they all come up with around the same amount of kcals burned :)
  • lotusfromthemud
    lotusfromthemud Posts: 5,335 Member
    Options
    I snuck my HRM into my first bikram session. . . and I burned about 600 calories (I weigh in the neighborhood of 140). I'm pretty sure that some of that was anxiety related heart rate elevation.

I think a lot of the "burn up to. . ." numbers floating around on the internet are very high. . .I did the series once at home with only my small space heater and burned just under 300, so that's the number I log.

The heat does make it feel like you should burn more, but using the whole "eating back the exercise calories" MFP rules, I wouldn't overestimate the burn.:flowerforyou:
  • GingerKid
    Options
    Yeah, I usually put in about 800 cals (I'm considerably over 140 LOL).

I figured that I burn 800 in a spin class in 1 hour...according to my HRM...so 800 isn't so bad a number for Bikram.