Ribs

Options
Is it normal to see ribs for average height and weight

Replies

• KateTii
    KateTii Posts: 886 Member
    Options
    How much ribs? Depending on your body type you might see some outline, but if you can count and see each individual rib in your ribcage, no.
  • johnve5w
    johnve5w Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    a few lower ribs
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    How much?

I can see the outline of mine and if the conditions are just right I can count individual ribs (by just right I mean the like 1 week a month where I'm not retaining water and I'm standing in just the right position).
    If you can see individual ribs when in a relaxed position, you might be too thin.
  • PinkPixiexox
    PinkPixiexox Posts: 4,142 Member
    Options
    I'm 5 ft 2 - 124 lbs. I can see ribs quite prominently yet still have quite a wobbly stomac and arms. I can certainly count individual ribs and if I reach up, even more-so. I'm actually a very healthy weight (technically I'm at the higher end of the BMI scale if that matters..). I'm not aiming to lose anymore and I am weight lifting now. Not sure if this is going to help but it might make things look a little more 'in proportion'. Generally, if you're a healthy weight - I wouldn't worry about being able to see them. We all have different bodies.
  • spiritlevel9
    spiritlevel9 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I can see mine but just don't lay down fat on my top half. I have been 3 stone heavier and still had very prominent collar bones and have been able to feel my ribs with ease. I am in the middle of my healthy BMI range.
  • yesimpson
    yesimpson Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    I can see mine when stretching. I think a lot of it depends on the shape of your ribcage and where you carry fat. It might well be perfectly healthy and normal for you to see the outline of your ribs at a healthy weight if that's just how your body is.
  • ammo7
    ammo7 Posts: 188 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    I'm 5'4'', 128 lb (so I have a healthy BMI) and my ribs are visible. It's weird to me, especially after having been obese before. I still have fat elsewhere that I want to lose. I think my body just wanted to get rid of all the fat from my ribs (and my fingers - my wedding ring is way too big now!) before it gets rid of the fat that I'd like it to get rid of now.

Edit to add: certainly I don't think it's usual for people of "average" height and weight, since the average person (in Western cultures at least) is overweight to obese!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,525 Member
    Options
    Dang. I thought this was about food.

Seeing ribs means body fat is low. Depending on the prominence, one may be eating too little.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • LaurenAOK
    LaurenAOK Posts: 2,475 Member
    Options
    I'm 5 ft 2 - 124 lbs. I can see ribs quite prominently yet still have quite a wobbly stomac and arms. I can certainly count individual ribs and if I reach up, even more-so. I'm actually a very healthy weight (technically I'm at the higher end of the BMI scale if that matters..). I'm not aiming to lose anymore and I am weight lifting now. Not sure if this is going to help but it might make things look a little more 'in proportion'. Generally, if you're a healthy weight - I wouldn't worry about being able to see them. We all have different bodies.

This describes me exactly as well. I have always found it annoying that I can clearly see my ribs even when I'm at a very healthy weight. I have not found that weight lifting helps with it unfortunately, I just have a big and therefore prominent ribcage. I think the term is "barrel chested." My mom has it too, so I think for me it's genetic.

As long you are healthy, don't worry about it.
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    I feel mine. I see my lower ones when I'm at the bottom of my swings - and I am not too thin (5'10", 146 at lowest). My husband is overweight but his fat gets deposited in his lower belly and you can see his ribs.
  • lifeandleaves
    lifeandleaves Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    If you feel healthy and you're not underweight then what's the worry? We so rarely see ribs anymore because so many people are overweight, but if you don't look emaciated then seeing them isn't a worry at all.

I see mine most of the time as a woman with a BMI of 21. That's a very healthy weight and I feel fine.

As men have even lower body fat than women, we would expect to see some of their ribs. They exist, just under our skin, why are we afraid to see them?
  • Shouliveshappy
    Shouliveshappy Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    Depends.. BMI is not a good indication of health. I think it's your energy level, menstrual cycle, hair, nails etc. that will tell if you are at a good health. Some of us are just born with a larger bone strucuture, hence BMI 21 maybe too low. Some of us are at smaller frame, hence BMI 19 may be completely healthy. Remember, everyone has a natural set point weight.
  • kk_inprogress
    kk_inprogress Posts: 3,077 Member
    Options
    I disagree with @psulemon and @ninerbuff. I think it depends on the person.

I can see my ribs and I am dead center of "average" for my height and weight. I'm in the exact middle for BMI for my height.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    kkenseth wrote: »

I can see my ribs and I am dead center of "average" for my height and weight. I'm in the exact middle for BMI for my height.

Definitely depends on the person. I wouldn't use it as an indicator of something not "normal".

If you DO see ribs clearly from the back, muscle mass is probably on the very low side.
  • kk_inprogress
    kk_inprogress Posts: 3,077 Member
    Options

Definitely depends on the person. I wouldn't use it as an indicator of something not "normal".

If you DO see ribs clearly from the back, muscle mass is probably on the very low side.

Yup. I'd hesitate to immediately answer just "yes" or "no" to such an ambiguous question because it's not at all helpful without knowing the OP.

OP, what are your stats? What made you ask this question?
  • tincanonastring
    tincanonastring Posts: 3,944 Member
    Options
    OP - A simple "No" doesn't really answer your question. As others have pointed out, this is one of those questions that comes down to the person. I suspect that the appearance of people in the "normal" BMI range varies greatly and has to do with genetics, body fat %, etc.

I'm wondering about the motivation for the question, too. Do you suspect that you are underweight?
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    How many threads do we need on this?
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10279521/ribs-shadowing-through
    This is at least the third.

Without knowing the OP's stats (including age) we can't offer much help.
    That he's started no fewer than 3 threads about his ribs is a bit of a red flag.
  • Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    Options
    It can be normal depending on your body. I'm at the top of a healthy BMI and you can definitely see my ribs and have at 10lbs up and 10lbs down.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,525 Member
    Options

There are exceptions in everything. I was referring in general. There many people who are at the correct weight who's ribs aren't prominent.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    You know what would be cool? The ability to delete, or have others delete for you, one-word responses for which you've given other people a hard time. Without getting a warning, perhaps.

Right, @psulemon?

No.

To the OP, you can see a couple of this guy's ribs to the outside of his abs. There are two clearly visible ribs on each side between his abdominal muscle and his lats. This is normal. I think this varies from one person to the next but you shouldn't be able to see them on the side or in the back.

measuring-body-fat.jpg