My progress after training for a marathon! Photos galore!

Options
LaurenAOK
LaurenAOK Posts: 2,475 Member
I've spent the past 6+ months training for the NYC marathon, and it has been a roller coaster in many ways. But it's finally almost here - next Sunday, November 1st, I will run my FIRST marathon!

I have never been a runner. In fact, it's still hard for me to use that term to describe myself, because I don't always even like running. But a marathon was one of those bucket-list things, and in the end, I'm so glad I pushed myself to do it. I've gotten so much faster and my stamina has gone up like crazy - for comparison, I ran a half marathon about a year ago and my pace then was around 11 mins/mile - now my long runs are at about 9:30 mins/mile and shorter runs are closer to 9 mins/mile.

But it hasn't all been great. In fact, these past 6 months have been some of the most physically and mentally taxing of my life. The worst part was that I was seeing NO changes in my body. I didn't lose a single pound for months - I constantly fluctuated between the same few pounds. I tried eating more, I tried eating less, nothing worked. I posted on the boards and found out that lots of people experience no weight loss when training for a marathon, because training is so taxing on the body. I finally accepted that I wasn't going to see the physical progress I had hoped for.

And then... BAM. Just these past few weeks, I dropped five pounds out of nowhere. These past two weeks I lost half an inch each off my waist, thighs, and hips, and smaller amounts off a lot of other places. I've been stuck at 23-24% body fat for months... today, suddenly I'm 21%. (I know that's probably not entirely accurate, it's an online calculator, but the point is that progress has been made.)

I don't know why the "whoosh" finally happened, but boy did it happen. I finally feel strong, confident, and beautiful. I'm not where I want to be, but I'm finally getting there! All the running and weight lifting is paying off. So I thought now was a good time to take some progress photos :)

61zx2ujl.jpg
tPzYCxSl.jpg
VpoQqGkl.jpg
zIOMt8Rl.jpg

Not "ripped" yet, but I can see more muscle definition than I ever have. I'm back to the size I was in college, except this time I actually have muscle! I can't wait to keep going and see where I am in another six months.

I'll probably post here again next weekend after the marathon, assuming I survive ;)

Oh, and my stats, in case anyone is curious:
5'4"
24 years old
~135 pounds
~21% body fat

Bonus: I just found these photos I took in March for comparison...

q8ne81cl.jpg
tBCPX37l.jpg

Replies

• Briaboo4
    Briaboo4 Posts: 1,080 Member
    Options
    You look AMAZING!! Well done!! :smile:
  • cardbucfan
    cardbucfan Posts: 10,396 Member
    Options
    Jaw dropping! You look incredible. Well done and good luck with the marathon!

• MarieFroz
    MarieFroz Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    You Are BEAUTIFUL!
    Congrats, good work and luck for the marathon!
  • shrcpr
    shrcpr Posts: 885 Member
    Options
    You look fantastic! Great work.
  • shoopton
    shoopton Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    You look great!
  • lavrn03
    lavrn03 Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    Bless you!! You look amazing! I just ran my first 5k last weekend and my 2nd coming up 11/1. Can't imagine a whole marathon. I have a few friends that do the Boston marathon for the past few years, so proud of them.
  • Syneea
    Syneea Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    Great job!! What was your weight training process? :)
  • LaurenAOK
    LaurenAOK Posts: 2,475 Member
    Options
    Syneea wrote: »
    Great job!! What was your weight training process? :)

Thanks all!

I meant to put this in the OP actually, I have been lifting for a few years and have followed several programs (Stronglifts, New Rules of Lifting, etc.) and I have always seen results and strength gains... however the program I have been doing for the past few months has been the best for me. The brand is called Crush and they have several different programs. I do the Crush at Home version (though I actually do it at a gym) and I love it, the workouts are really varied and fun, and I have seen such great results in strength gains and muscle definition. I like the at Home version because it's actually more of a circuit training/HIIT style workout that incorporates lifting, which I think compliments running really well. However there is also a program, their main program, called Crush60 which is more of a traditional heavy lifting program. I have seen people have amazing results following that one.

The brand is still in it's beginning stages so I try to get the word out about how great it is, because I have actually met the creator (he did a group workshop thing) and he is a really awesome guy. I do not work for them nor am I affiliated in any way, I just like the workouts. If anyone is interested they have a website, I won't post it here for fear of violating community guidelines, but you can just google it.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!