Thyroid = the debil!

Options
Hi, I am 39 and have had thyroid problems for over 12 years. Does anyone on this site have any advice for me. This is NOT my first time around the mountain .. I go to a gym, I eat healthy... but NO matter what.. I gain weight slowly and gradually...

I realize about my body that I do not process carbs very well at all! , takes DAYS to get recover from eating them, any amount of them ... any advice on meals or especially snack ideas between meals .....

or maybe you have found some success and can share with me.. we all know that if you have thyroid problem it takes you 3x the effort of a person with a normal metabolism doing this diet to loose weight.. so to avoid being discouraged I am looking for a support group!

Replies

• kimber607
    kimber607 Posts: 7,128 Member
    Options
    Hi, I am 39 and have had thyroid problems for over 12 years. Does anyone on this site have any advice for me. This is NOT my first time around the mountain .. I go to a gym, I eat healthy... but NO matter what.. I gain weight slowly and gradually...

I realize about my body that I do not process carbs very well at all! , takes DAYS to get recover from eating them, any amount of them ... any advice on meals or especially snack ideas between meals .....

or maybe you have found some success and can share with me.. we all know that if you have thyroid problem it takes you 3x the effort of a person with a normal metabolism doing this diet to loose weight.. so to avoid being discouraged I am looking for a support group!

silly question but are u on the right meds...adjustment necessary?
    I've had thyrid issues for the past 4 yrs or so....had half my thyroid removed and several cysts drained recently
    no meds at the time but I find a good low carb diet works best for me

good luck!!
  • 512cheangela
    512cheangela Posts: 133
    Options
    What works for me is a combination of B vitamins (for energy), iodine (does something to promote thyroid function), and doing a lot of bouncing around. I found a prenatal vitamin that has offered a lot of nutritional and digestive support. Rainbow Light Complete with Digestive Enzymes.
  • momma3sweetgirls
    momma3sweetgirls Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    If you're not on meds, then, sure, you're going to have a tough time. If you're on a proper dose of Synthroid, you shouldn't have any problems losing weight. I've been on Synthroid for almost 10 years. I have it checked every 6 months. I've recently lost 28.5 lbs through proper diet and exercise.
  • SarzWix
    SarzWix Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I've only been diagnosed with a problem for about 5 months, but I've been slowly gaining weight for about 12 months. I don't think my dose of thyroxine is high enough, but now I'm in the 'normal' range, they're reluctant to raise the dose much more. I really struggle with carbs because when I have the tired days, my body really craves crappy carbs like sweets, biscuits, bread, white pasta etc. When I first started on the thyroxine, these cravings went away almost completely for about 3 weeks, and then have slowly come back. It's extreeeemly frustrating!
  • JustaDiva
    JustaDiva Posts: 4
    Options
    I feel confident that my medication is right for me being that the Dr. that I see is an actual friend of mine, so I am pretty sure that all is as it is suppose to be on the medication end of it. WE have had to do some adjustments in the past but right now I seem to be just fine, I am actually on a slightly higher does to elevate my heart rate to help with my slowly fading metabolism. I seem to have more energy too, it is NICE.

I know portion control will work, it just takes forever to loose ONE pound that I get depressed or discouraged and give up, I just want to be free or "normal" , if you know what I mean
  • celestedavis
    celestedavis Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    The thyroid and adrenal gland work together in harmony, if one is off the other will not work properly. Most MD's don't check adrenal function because they are trained to just check one body part at a time.

Find a good wellness chiropractor or doctor and have them check your organ function, they can recommend a good supplement to build both up at the same time.

As far as foods:
    White flour is enemy number 1 to the thyroid as it is bromated. Bromated flour suppresses thyroid function. Get lots of raw veggies, a little fruit and no refined grain based carbs, a reasonable amount of organic or naturally grown protein or better yet beans, nuts, seeds.

Caffeine is the number one enemy to the adrenal glands and stress is equally as devastating. Get off all forms of caffeine and your adrenals can heal!

Artificial sweeteners are also death to our bodies, they are neuro toxins which means they cause brain cells to explode. They also increase cravings for bad foods. Switch to Stevia but only the real thing, Sweet Leaf Stevia is our fav, you can find it at healthfood stores. I like the liquid, ten bucks and it lasts me about a year.
  • kbanzhaf
    kbanzhaf Posts: 601 Member
    Options
    Hi,
    I've been on medication for hypothyroidism for 10 years or so. Five years ago, my blood sugar was elevated, and my doctor sent me to a dietician. Five years and 60+ pounds gone later, I can tell you that it is possible to lose weight with thyroid issues. Not easy, but possible.
    I try to keep my "carbs" to 15 or less. The dietician I went to said that 15 grams of carbohydrates was equal to 1 "carb." Basically, a slice of bread is one carb, a hamburger bun is 2, a banana is 2, etc.
    I write down everything I eat. Initially it was in a notebook, and now it is here.
    I walk (six or so miles a day, five or six days a week).
    Good luck, and don't give up. It took me 15 months to lose the weight, so I averaged about a pound a week. But, I've been able to keep almost all of the weight I lost initially off for over four years.
    Kaye
  • kellykaye_xo
    kellykaye_xo Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I feel confident that my medication is right for me being that the Dr. that I see is an actual friend of mine, so I am pretty sure that all is as it is suppose to be on the medication end of it. WE have had to do some adjustments in the past but right now I seem to be just fine, I am actually on a slightly higher does to elevate my heart rate to help with my slowly fading metabolism. I seem to have more energy too, it is NICE.

I know portion control will work, it just takes forever to loose ONE pound that I get depressed or discouraged and give up, I just want to be free or "normal" , if you know what I mean

I totally understand where you are coming from! I have an underactive thyroid which has made weight loss a huge challenge. I just started thyroid meds about a month ago. I've been on MFP since Feb and only lost 2 lbs. However, I've stopped the weight gain which I'm happy about. I've just recently started a low carb / high protein diet in hopes to spark my metabolism. I've also increased the intensity of my workouts a little to push myself. I'm determined to get my scale to move!

I think a support group is a great idea. Feel free to add me! :)
  • LiciaHarry
    LiciaHarry Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    This site may help some. I've been on thyroxine for a couple of years, just recently got off grains, artificial sweeteners and caffeine (month ago for all but grains, which I've eliminated for four months) and there's still no change in my weight. On this site, they explain why thyroxine isn't necessarily all you need.

http://www.stopthethyroidmadness.com/
  • sam363
    sam363 Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    Check out The Zone diet by Barry Sears. It lists specific carbs that are better for you than others as well as teaches you a correct ratio of protein, carb, and fats. I too find myself struggling after a carb heavy meal. When I know that I have had too much I take a 15 minutes walk right away and drink lots of water to flush it out.

Also, I am on Cytomel - it's a drug for my T3 where as Synthroid is for T4. It really helps with my short term energy. I would do some research and ask your doctor about it.

You are not alone in struggling with energy/weight gain. Sometimes it feels very hard to work out even when you have the best intentions. Do what you can today and don't put it off until tomorrow.
  • JustaDiva
    JustaDiva Posts: 4
    Options
    FYI... I do not drink caffeine at all ... have been free for going on 8 months :) I do drink Diet Sodas only if they are caffeine free..and PLENTY of water. I understand that there are alot of things like plastic bottled drinks (check those dates!!) and synthetic sugars as well as some raw veggies (specially broccoli) that have things in them that hormone blockers for our thyroid ... So eat some raw veggies but I suggest you read and find out which ones naturally have things that block our harmones when eating in high quanity, and find out what else might not be as good for you as other things. I read a book years ago.... THE BIBLE CURE FOR THYROID DISORDER, BY DR. DON COLBERT... no, it doesn't give you a cure, but it does give you some truths and insights.. .I suggest everyone read it.

I believe in balance in all things... so I will drink my soda's .. and I will drink from bottles .. BUT I just will not drink 15 of them, just cause I "can".
  • mcb1967
    mcb1967 Posts: 2
    Options
    I've had diagnosed hypothyroid for about 3 years now. I take synthetic lexothyroxine 75 mcg. I am 44, and had been gaining weight steadily. I used to track between 125 and 130 and I am 5' 5". I got up to 147 and it seemed I could not get it off and keep it off. I found this site, and started tracking what I eat and started exercising 5 times a week. I have lost 9 pounds slowly and I feel better than I have felt in a long time. The only way I could do this was by exercising and watching what I eat. Stay with it and it will come off! Good Luck!
  • Hollycat
    Hollycat Posts: 372
    Options
    My two bits: I keep my TSH between 0.5 and 1.5 and take 125 mcg of natural, dessicated thyroid [synthroid made my hair fall out]. I take calcium and exercise to avoid osteoporosis and keep my doctor happy. If your TSH is above 2, you might be undermedicated. The scale they use is fairly conservative [to avoid liability, I suspect], so...do your research and insist on getting your TSH checked ever 3 months to make sure it's not wavering too much. Remember: Missing 2 or 3 pills a month can make a significant difference. Take your pills at the same time every day. Weight loss with low thyroid is not impossible, just harder.

As you lose weight, there is a possibility that you will need LESS medication. That's why it's SO important to keep checking...

Hollycat
    :flowerforyou: