Thyroid Problems

Options
pammye65
pammye65 Posts: 177 Member
If your feeling unusually tired all the time, get your thyroid checked! I have thyroid problems and it zaps my energy and makes it harder to lose weight.

Replies

• Cherilea
    Cherilea Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options
    If your feeling unusually tired all the time, get your thyroid checked! I have thyroid problems and it zaps my energy and makes it harder to lose weight.

Very true! I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism about 4 yrs ago. It makes it harder to lose weight, but not impossible. :smile:
  • KBrenOH
    KBrenOH Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    I was just recently diagnosed with this as well, but only a marginal inbalance. Dr. said she doesn't even know if the medicine she put me on will help me with my energy problems so we shall see. I've been on the medicine for a lil over a week and haven't noticed any difference yet, but still waiting.
  • blueocean52811
    blueocean52811 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Yes it does! Combine it with having PCOS and it is twice as hard.
  • blueocean52811
    blueocean52811 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I've been on meds for a while and it doesn't help my lack of energy at all.
  • pammye65
    Options
    Im a diabetic as well. I have started taking Advance Vitamin D and Co-Q10.... really think that is helping. I can actually get up in the morning without dragging.
  • DietingMommy08
    DietingMommy08 Posts: 1,366 Member
    Options
    I was just recently diagnosed with this as well, but only a marginal inbalance. Dr. said she doesn't even know if the medicine she put me on will help me with my energy problems so we shall see. I've been on the medicine for a lil over a week and haven't noticed any difference yet, but still waiting.

You typically wont start feeling a diffrence until about 3 mos.
  • pammye65
    Options
    yes it will take about 2-4 weeks for you to notice anything better
  • DietingMommy08
    Options
    Ive had hypothyroidism since the 6th grade but was never technically diagnosed with it until I was 18. It causes a lot of struggle with no energy and makes it hard to lose weight, though its not impossible!! Before I had gotten prego with my son I had worked hard n gotten close to my (now) goal weight... Now im starting all over. Lol. Keep your head up, just because it looks like a brick wall in front of you dnt mean its too tall to jump over. :o)
  • BarnDogBob
    BarnDogBob Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Recently diagnosed with Hypo as well and only about 3 weeks into it. It takes a while to even figure out how much to put you on so the starting dose is not likely what will be your maintenance dose. Also, I wish someone would have told me this: At about the 2 week mark I felt worse than ever, like all my energy was being zapped out of me. It was quite sudden after that I could really start to feel a difference. I am encouraged if it gets better from here.

I asked about feeling worse and the Dr said you will feel worse before you start to feel better so don't be discouraged if it feels like it is having an opposite effect on you initially.

Personally, I am thrilled to find out there is something that can be corrected. I took the start of the treatment as my start of a whole new lifestyle.
  • NikkisNewStart
    NikkisNewStart Posts: 1,100 Member
    Options
    It isn't the end of the world you guys or a "death sentence" to never lose weight and I am proof! Keep the faith!

I have been diagnosed with hypothyroidism since 2002, have PCOS, and was recently diagnosed with B12 Anemia.
  • Hollycat
    Hollycat Posts: 372
    Options
    Had it for years, only got diagnosed a few years ago. Drags you down. Seriously. However, losing weight is not impossible, just really hard. I take 120 mcg of natural, dessicated thyroid daily. Cannot take synthetics. Makes my hair fall out and doesn't work nearly as well for me. I keep my TSH under 1.5 and above 0. If it's any higher, I"m dragging my behind around. If your TSH is above that, you will definitely benefit from thyroid medication. Insist on getting it checked every 3 months. The scale they use to measure TSH is, unfortunately, rather conservative and many people who could benefit from thyroid medication don't get it. There's a long, drawn-out reason for that. Google it. Especially if you're on medication and are still not feeling the benefits...you could be under-treated. Most doctors will NOT want to keep your TSH as low as mine. There are reasons for it, not the least of which is an increased risk of osteoporosis. Not to be taken lightly, but as I'm taking calcium and working out regularly, I'm not concerned. My bone density has not suffered.

Hang in there and make sure you're being properly medicated and take your medication every single day at the same time - split it up into 2 doses if you have trouble getting through the day. Remember - Even missing 2 or 3 pills a month can throw things out of whack.

Hollycat
    :flowerforyou:
  • brandiuntz
    brandiuntz Posts: 2,717 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed with Hypo a year ago. It took a couple of months to get my dosage right. My (iron) anemia was actually more of a drag on my energy. Getting on the right amount of meds made a HUGE difference with my TOM problems. Very happy about that.

Once you're on the right amount of meds and your levels are in a normal range, you won't have a problem with weight loss (no more than normal). I've lost 20lbs since the diagnosis. My best friend has Hypo also and lost all her extra weight (60lbs). She then had her dosage reduced because she didn't need as much since her body was smaller. Keep the faith!
  • DietingMommy08
    Options
    Had it for years, only got diagnosed a few years ago. Drags you down. Seriously. However, losing weight is not impossible, just really hard. I take 120 mcg of natural, dessicated thyroid daily. Cannot take synthetics. Makes my hair fall out and doesn't work nearly as well for me. I keep my TSH under 1.5 and above 0. If it's any higher, I"m dragging my behind around. If your TSH is above that, you will definitely benefit from thyroid medication. Insist on getting it checked every 3 months. The scale they use to measure TSH is, unfortunately, rather conservative and many people who could benefit from thyroid medication don't get it. There's a long, drawn-out reason for that. Google it. Especially if you're on medication and are still not feeling the benefits...you could be under-treated. Most doctors will NOT want to keep your TSH as low as mine. There are reasons for it, not the least of which is an increased risk of osteoporosis. Not to be taken lightly, but as I'm taking calcium and working out regularly, I'm not concerned. My bone density has not suffered.

Hang in there and make sure you're being properly medicated and take your medication every single day at the same time - split it up into 2 doses if you have trouble getting through the day. Remember - Even missing 2 or 3 pills a month can throw things out of whack.

Hollycat
    :flowerforyou:

I am up to 200mcg of Levothyroxin & my hair is constantly falling out. I tell my doctors n they never say much else about it. Wat kind of medication are you on!?