Logging beachbody workouts.

Options
Does anybody have ideas on how I can realistically estimate calorie worth of cross traing style workout such as p90x, slim in 6, insanity, etc? I have the old slim in 6 DVDs that I want to start using for workouts but I dont know the best way to log them.

Replies

• armylife
    armylife Posts: 196 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    You should be able to get in the ballpark by entering circuit training in the app and the time spent doing the workout. Any "calories spent" provided by this or any device should be viewed as a best-guess. Since without extensive medical testing that is essentially what it is. If you are eating back your exercise calories you will have to adjust the amount you eat back based the scale/mirror test because of the imprecise nature of calories expended counting. Additionally, many on MFP think it tends to over-estimate calories burned (I am in this camp also). A good way to start is eating back only 50% of the calories and see how steady the weight loss is.
  • Amber_hanson27
    Amber_hanson27 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Circuit training is what I would log it as :wink:
  • jryanw290
    jryanw290 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I totally agree with the 50% theory on calorie counts for exercise. I just wanted a good way to log beachbody stuff. I will use the "cross training" option from now on. Thanks for the advice guys.
  • burningrye
    burningrye Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Thanks for posting this question. I was having the same issue. I don't understand why we can log specific brands for food, but we can't log specific workouts for exercise. I am sure there are enough people that have done beach body, P90x, Jillian Michaels, Insanity and other videos that it would be easier for people to choose from the database.
  • armylife
    armylife Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    burningrye wrote: »
    Thanks for posting this question. I was having the same issue. I don't understand why we can log specific brands for food, but we can't log specific workouts for exercise. I am sure there are enough people that have done beach body, P90x, Jillian Michaels, Insanity and other videos that it would be easier for people to choose from the database.

The reason is the names of those workouts have no bearing on the calories burned, while name brand foods have specific caloric totals.

In the end, it would just be an endless number of circuit style workouts of different names with the same calculation for calories burned. There are too many variables in calculating calories burned to justify having all the different names of circuits to choose from. That is why they have just the one formula they work from.
  • suzcan2
    suzcan2 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Thanks for posting this question. I've been doing the 21 day Fix and have no idea how to log it. Anyone else doing that program?
  • sadmaker
    sadmaker Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Been using Beachbody videos for years. I create all workouts under cardio bc it was the only one that would let me enter calories(at least this was the case when I started). I then wear a polar ft7 HRM for all workouts and manually key results into MFP.
  • kdbulger
    kdbulger Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    My preference is actually to use a HRM to track my workout. Mine links with MFP automatically, but if not I would manually log the calories or at least try to find the related exercise option with the closest to what I burned.