Doing this for me AND my kids

Options
Hey there! I'm Mallory from MI. I'm a 28 year old mom of two, married for 7 years & work full time.

I have been on the typical rollercoaster diet thing but recently, I have been having major issues w/heartburn & just overall feeling like crap-o-la, not sleeping well & not having energy. I went to the doctor & my nurse practitioner had a very honest conversation with me: most of my issues is because I need to lost weight. I weighed in at 216 lbs, I'm 5'1''. She suggested that losing 20 lbs will probably make me feel a ton better in comparison to now, 50-60 will make me feel like a new person. She reminded me that with my high stress job as a 911 dispatcher & being married to a police officer, with our insane schedules & rollercoaster hours, the chances of me hurting myself in the long run is greater. And when I said that I hate giving up time with my kids, who are 6 & 2.5, & my husband, she said that continuing the way I am is going to prevent me from having good time with them in the future.

While it hurt to hear, it's the brutal truth.

So, here I am...I'm counting calories but following the 21 Day Fix diet, which I have had good success with in the past. I want to get to the gym 3-4 times a week at least, which means giving up some time with my babies, a thought I'm having a rough time coming to terms with. But, in the end, it will be worth it. My husband saw me crumble after my appointment the other day & said he will do whatever I need him to - just him being my support is huge for me. I don't necessarily want to lose 50-60 lbs however I do want to feel better...So my first goal is to get under 200 lbs.

Replies

• sbrmom
    sbrmom Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Hi Mallory - Feel free to add me as a friend! I am a mom of two, although mine are older - college and high school. However, the struggle is the same! In the last year I have seen my weight creep up and my fitness level go way down as I was focused on my kid's and husband's needs and pushed my own to the side!

Sometimes life just keeps us from doing what we want to do! That is were developing good habits comes in, so we can maintain through this crazy rollercoaster! I'm in the process of making some changes and focusing on one small change at a time, but staying consistent with that one thing until I get it then adding in the next change!

You can do it!

-Melissa
  • fedman79542
    fedman79542 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Good luck to you on your journey. I have tried many different diets before which included taking prescribed medication.. in my opinion my fitness pal by far is the best way to keep an up to date average of your daily calorie count allowing you to lose weight and maintain your ideal weight. I myself started using my fitness pal off and on well over a year ago. Up until now I personally never used the app to its full potential ( weighing in, using the community, etc) but I did use it to keep track of my calories and fat in take. I have lost over 100 pds with the help of my fitness pal and have had no problem keeping it off.You can lose your desired weight as well. I wish you the best.
    Fedman79542
  • celesteherrera09
    celesteherrera09 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hey girl, good luck to you on your journey! I can totally relate to you and your story. I too am a 911 operator, work 12 hour shifts, have 2 boys, and started my journey at 65 pounds overweight. So far I'm down 40 pounds and I'd like to lose another 25. I'd love to connect with you & maybe we can hold each other accountable.
  • mefullerton
    mefullerton Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Hey girl, good luck to you on your journey! I can totally relate to you and your story. I too am a 911 operator, work 12 hour shifts, have 2 boys, and started my journey at 65 pounds overweight. So far I'm down 40 pounds and I'd like to lose another 25. I'd love to connect with you & maybe we can hold each other accountable.

Thanks for the note!! Congrats on your success so far - I can't wait til I can post that I have lost 5 lbs, let alone 40!!