grad student needs budget friendly recipes !

Options
hhazlett62
hhazlett62 Posts: 19 Member
Help! I'm a super busy grad student and need easy, gluten free , budget friendly recipes. Any advice /recipes would be totally appreciated

Replies

• Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    Options
    Www.budgetbytes.com is awesome!
  • Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    Options
    You can make swaps - vegetable noodles or gf pasta, gf bread or use greens as wraps, etc. Aldi has a great gf line if you have one around you!
  • hhazlett62
    Options
    Thank you! I do have an aldi nearby and have been going to it. A big issue is I work 2 jobs. So I need easy to make, grab and go healthy food.
  • phxteach
    phxteach Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    Try your public library and search for budget cookbooks. To actually get cheaper food for those recipes: Do you have dollar stores nearby? They have a good selection of staples like beans, tuna, bread, etc. Mine also has fresh veggies. Do you have a nearby church that sponsors events like 3000 club? In Arizona, we have a lot of surplus from growers that local organizations pick and distribute via events. Possibly there is one like this in your area.
  • hhazlett62
    Options
    I've never heard of the 3000 club. What is that ?
  • bover145
    bover145 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    A go to quick and inexpensive meal - baked potato with chili. My grocery store has soups including chili that are fresh and tasty. All can be microwaved.
    Add a green salad to up the veg quota.
  • bebeisfit
    bebeisfit Posts: 951 Member
    Options
    Can you spare an hour or two to cook once or twice a week? Chili is super cheap and easy to make with or without meat. I use 3 different kinds of beans (kidney, black, pinto, white or pink), canned chopped tomatoes, onion, garlic, peppers if you like (I don't), buy a good chili powder and add some cumin, salt and water or broth. And let it sit on the stove for a while. And it's better on day 2. I make enough to put some in the freezer and am always thrilled when there's nothing in the house to eat and find a container in the freezer.

I also make a lot of lentils. Brown and red.