Hypothyroidism/Hashimoto's

Options
ToBeHealthyIsMyGoal
ToBeHealthyIsMyGoal Posts: 3 Member
edited October 2015 in Health and Weight Loss
Hello everyone, I'm reaching out to see if anyone has any advice/support for losing weight with a thyroid disorder. Let me start by telling you a little bit about myself. I'm 18, 5"7', and roughly 158 pounds. I am aware that I am in the healthy BMI for my height but I carry weight on my stomach that makes me extremely self-conscious. About two months ago I was diagnosed with Hashimoto's. I have been trying to lose weight for about 4 years now and I have seen little to no results (which I know now is because of my thyroid). I work out 5 times a week at my gym, and eat a fairly clean diet. I have been studying the best ways to lose weight with Hashimoto's and have found a massive amount of conflicting information. Which is why I'm reaching out here tonight, instead of trying to shift through all the information I wanted to ask if anyone on here has tried something/is doing something that is showing results. I know I have to wait for my thyroid levels to get under control (my TSH was at 567.400 when diagnosed and normal level is 0.450-4.500). But I figured it couldn't help to get more information beforehand to maybe help my weight loss.

Thank you so much to anyone that responds, any advice/words of support are greatly appreciated.

(I apologize if there is any grammar/spelling issues. I just got done at the gym and I'm fairly tired).

Replies

• Duchy82
    Duchy82 Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    There is a group on mfp for hypothyroididm and hyperthyroidism which has a whole host of links with information about thyroid problems and weightloss related advice. I'm hypothyroid myself and I've managed to lose all my weight with simply calorie counting (25kg so far).

I've been a member of a few thyroid communities since diagnosis 5year ago and pretty much found that weightloss in the thyroid community is the same as the normal community (once your medication levels are right) you need to find what weightloss method works for you and is sustainable, whether that is paleo, lchf, ww, calorie counting, dukan diet, low fat high carb, low gi.

I've tried a few of these but simply eating less of my normal food choices works best for me, I really don't like restricting food groups or giving up cake, sweets, ice cream etc, and the results speak for themselves.
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    Wow! I did not even know you could be alive with a TSH of 567!!! Are you sure this is not a typo?
    If it is true. Follow dr's advice religiously. Weight loss is not your main problem right now. If you can function, let alone exercise, and have also managed to keep your weight this low, I would say you are doing more than awesome. Take your meds, keep in touch with your dr and be patient.
  • Yi5hedr3
    Yi5hedr3 Posts: 2,696 Member
    Options
    Iodine!!! You need lots. Start taking iodoral every day. In a few weeks you be fine.
  • ToBeHealthyIsMyGoal
    Options
    No haha its not a typo. My doctor thinks that I've probably had thyroid problems for about 5 years before I got diagnosed. Thank you so much for your replies! I will definitely check out the community for hypothyroidism/hyperthyroidism.