How do I decide to recomp or not?

Options
Title. ^

I'm 135 lbs now, 5'6", and I can fit into sizes I haven't worn since high school (the dream, amirite?) I can't, however, wear the belly shirts that are so popular right now because they don't look good on me. I have a puffy tummy that's easily upset and bloats a lot because of it. I'll go a size or two up in jeans (8/10 instead of 6) also because any sort of pressure on my stomach makes me nauseated. I can't wear things that fit around the waist because of that either.

Aside from that, does it sound like I'm thin enough to just maintain and eat back my exercise calories? Should I try to lose more? Or should I do a recomp?

Replies

• sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    If you are at goal weight then maintain / recomp.

Losing more won't resolve this....
    I have a puffy tummy that's easily upset and bloats a lot because of it. I'll go a size or two up in jeans (8/10 instead of 6) also because any sort of pressure on my stomach makes me nauseated. I can't wear things that fit around the waist because of that either.
    .....and neither will recomp.
    You aren't describing a problem that could be attributed to either fat or muscle.
  • DaddieCat
    DaddieCat Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »
    If you are at goal weight then maintain / recomp.

Losing more won't resolve this....
    I have a puffy tummy that's easily upset and bloats a lot because of it. I'll go a size or two up in jeans (8/10 instead of 6) also because any sort of pressure on my stomach makes me nauseated. I can't wear things that fit around the waist because of that either.
    .....and neither will recomp.
    You aren't describing a problem that could be attributed to either fat or muscle.

Pretty much this. I would recomp at maintenance to gain lean mass. I would see a doctor about your other issues as they might be something else entirely and getting it checked out is never a bad idea.
  • MaiLinna
    MaiLinna Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    I've been told it could be a hernia(?) behind my belly button that was never checked out when I was a child. Most of my bloating came from lactose intolerance, which I've remedied with Lactaid and a mostly vegan diet, and the other factor for bloating may or may not come from my constant eating of legumes and vegetables? I burp a hell of a lot too, so I don't know.
  • tashspring68
    tashspring68 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I would get the hernia checked out. The stupidest little things can make a hernia tear and suddenly become a lot worse - harder to fix, more pain and more down time.

Also - this is completely based on personal experience only, but try probiotics for the bloating. It is the only thing that stops me from bloating.
  • MaiLinna
    Options
    I would get the hernia checked out. The stupidest little things can make a hernia tear and suddenly become a lot worse - harder to fix, more pain and more down time.

Also - this is completely based on personal experience only, but try probiotics for the bloating. It is the only thing that stops me from bloating.

If I have a hernia, I've had it since birth so I don't think it's that big of an issue if I'm 25 and have had no problems. I'll get it checked out soon of course, as with a lot of things I've never had checked, but that'll come.

I'll look into probiotics.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    Bloating aside, do you feel there is a decent amount of fat to lose or not? Recomp is very slow and your training and nutrition needs to be on point. I didn't feel comfortable starting a recomp until my tummy was pretty flat.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »
    Bloating aside, do you feel there is a decent amount of fat to lose or not? Recomp is very slow and your training and nutrition needs to be on point. I didn't feel comfortable starting a recomp until my tummy was pretty flat.

Recomp isn't "very slow" for everyone - it depends on loads of factors.

No your nutrition doesn't have to be "on point", all you have to do is eat for long term weight maintenance and health plus train hard.

• MaiLinna
    Options
    I don't think my tummy can be flat after I eat my first meal so I think it'd be kind of pointless.

I'm currently eating at maintenance, walking 10k steps a day with my Fitbit, and doing beginner weightlifting using Fitness Blender while I watch VODs or live streams. My rule of thumb is if I'm going to be watching something, it has to be either at meal time or I have to get up and move while I watch it.

I think the new apartment I'm moving into has one of those arms in front of your face thingies, so I might be able to start using that to lift.

I guess I am recomping without really meaning to?
  • questionfear
    questionfear Posts: 527 Member
    Options
    MaiLinna wrote: »
    I don't think my tummy can be flat after I eat my first meal so I think it'd be kind of pointless.

I'm currently eating at maintenance, walking 10k steps a day with my Fitbit, and doing beginner weightlifting using Fitness Blender while I watch VODs or live streams. My rule of thumb is if I'm going to be watching something, it has to be either at meal time or I have to get up and move while I watch it.

I think the new apartment I'm moving into has one of those arms in front of your face thingies, so I might be able to start using that to lift.

What's an arms in front of your face thingy?
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »
    Recomp isn't "very slow" for everyone - it depends on loads of factors.

No your nutrition doesn't have to be "on point", all you have to do is eat for long term weight maintenance and health plus train hard.

Thank you. People make recomp sound like it's a decades long process that's overly meticulous.
  • mattyc772014
    mattyc772014 Posts: 3,543 Member
    Options
    What's an arms in front of your face thingy?...Inquiring minds want to know.

Whatever you decide mean it. Stay focused on what you want. Only you can decide for yourself. Your tummy comment makes me think you are unsure. So maybe a 3-5 lb loss and then recomp. Bloating can be caused by many factors. If it is severe, see a physician. I suffer from bloating every now and then. Usually if I have too much fiber or certain foods trigger it. Like cucumbers kills me.

Recomp is flexible as others have said. You get to eat more!
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,127 Member
    Options
    I've been told it could be a hernia(?) behind my belly button that was never checked out when I was a child. Most of my bloating came from lactose intolerance, which I've remedied with Lactaid and a mostly vegan diet, and the other factor for bloating may or may not come from my constant eating of legumes and vegetables? I burp a hell of a lot too, so I don't know.

I believe most people (won't say all) who routinely eat lots of legumes and vegetables find that any bloating/gassiness resolves once they've been regularly eating that way for a while, i.e., the body adapts. Certainly true for me.

I'd add to the "get checked out" chorus, and wonder whether you may have some additional food sensitivity or allergy of some sort.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    I have done a short recomp. Over the winter last year. I will do one this year as well...I hate cutting in the winter.

I ate at maintenance and lifted heavy (wendler 5/3/1) my PR's are up there 235 DL, 137.5 Bench 102.5lb OHP.

I decided to do it as I was at goal weight and wanted to continue to lift. It didn't matter and doesn't matter that my belly isn't "flat" and it wasn't hard to do....I know I probably gained 1-2lbs of muscle over 6-8 months as people commented that I was smaller than in the summer even though I was 5lbs heavier....

I will say however you won't do a lot of muscle building without a progressive load lifting program ad fitness blender doesn't have any of those that I am aware of...mostly body weight/HIIT stuff.
  • rontafoya
    rontafoya Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    Based on your comments, it sounds like you should address your diet and eliminate foods that cause you issues. I lost inches off my waist just from that, without losing much weight. I cut dairy by about 90%, same with grains, all processed foods, near elimination of booze, and I increased veggies and decreased fruit. I also reduced legumes a lot. I eat mostly animal proteins and veggies. Sure it's a much narrower diet, but I rarely have gas now, no stomach aches or issues, no bloating, more energy, better performance at the gym, etc. Addressing a lactose issue with "lactaid" clearly isn't cutting it. You need to sacrifice foods that cause you problems. Start by only eating whatever makes you feel good and energetic. You should feel MORE energy after a meal, not less--if you feel sluggish, or bloaty, or anything negative after a meal, guess what? You just ate garbage. Or maybe you ate too much. Start there, then see what happens to your tummy, THEN worry about recomps, etc. And besides, the "recomp" will go better with an improved diet.
  • Alassonde
    Alassonde Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    As far as bloating goes, I've had that problem for ages. Recently I was diagnosed with several food allergies as well as some pretty extreme acid reflux. Getting those under control has helped some with the bloating, although I think this will always be an issue for me to some extent. You might want to get tested for food allergies.
  • pondee629
    pondee629 Posts: 2,469 Member
    Options
    Is "recomp" the new term for what we used to say "getting back into shape"?
  • AsISmile
    AsISmile Posts: 1,004 Member
    Options
    pondee629 wrote: »
    Is "recomp" the new term for what we used to say "getting back into shape"?

Yes and no.
    Recomp stands for body recomposition, and here on the forum indicates the process of losing fat and gaining muscle at the sime time while eating at maintenance. Yes you will get in shape through all the heavy lifting, and your body will look more in shape. The goal for most people is however reducing bodyfat without reducing their weight.
  • ExRelaySprinter
    ExRelaySprinter Posts: 874 Member
    Options

What's an arms in front of your face thingy?

That's what i'd like to know! Lol