Chubby beginner runner

Options

Replies

• mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    I'm sure you'll do great. I'm doing an 8k turkey trot on thanksgiving. I can commiserate on nerves. My anxiety is already flying high, but I know i got this distance.
    many races post routes ahead of time. if you wanted, you can go see if it's posted and check out the route ahead of time. I find it calms my nerves to check things out ahead of time before i do something new.

I've always kinda wanted this shirt
    61xD1ooXJfL._UX385_.jpg
  • lbt1004
    lbt1004 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Abakan wrote: »
    Before every race I have doubts that I can complete the distance be it a 5k, 10k or half marathon and I've done at least 2 of each of these races, I just tell myself that if I have to slow down and walk some or all of the race there's no shame in that as I won't be the only one. When you cross the finish line no matter how long it takes you, you will be on a complete high and I'll bet that you'll be looking up the next race to enter as soon as you get home.
    Your gonna kill it. Have a great time.

I am doing this with 2 friends, both have ran full and half marathons. They are doing this to support ME and Im worried about being too slow and them getting annoyed. Im telling ya, Im a big wuss and looking for any excuse...lol
  • lbt1004
    Options
    acorsaut89 wrote: »
    lbt1004 wrote: »
    Im barely able to wear a tank top thats form fitting. Instead of being proud that im off my couch and exercising, Im paranoid about my rolls. Im a mess

You might not be the most photogenic when running, most people aren't. I know I have some very unflattering photos the race photographer took of me rounding corners into the finish chute or going up a hill or even just trying not to quit. It probably won't be elegant or graceful, your face might look like you're in serious pain (and you might very well be) . . . but who cares? I bet you will find so many people there who are supporting you and what you do. One of my runs I was like 3rd last coming in. I was really upset with myself . . . I wanted to do better. But then as I was getting my medal and walking away a guy (who finished waaaaaaaay ahead of me) came up, gave me a high five and said to me "You did a great job out there!". The running community is super supportive - they all know what it's like to have to start somewhere. This is your somewhere, girl! I still remember my first run, the faces I saw and how I felt. Embrace and enjoy this one :) and if you're anything like the rest of us, it won't be your last.

Oh *kitten*...they take pictures??!!??
  • AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    Options
    Before every race I have doubts that I can complete the distance be it a 5k, 10k or half marathon and I've done at least 2 of each of these races, I just tell myself that if I have to slow down and walk some or all of the race there's no shame in that as I won't be the only one. When you cross the finish line no matter how long it takes you, you will be on a complete high and I'll bet that you'll be looking up the next race to enter as soon as you get home.

I am doing this with 2 friends, both have ran full and half marathons. They are doing this to support ME and Im worried about being too slow and them getting annoyed. Im telling ya, Im a big wuss and looking for any excuse...lol

They remember their first races, so they know what to expect from yours. They'll be thrilled that you're letting them share your first race with you.

Everyone has stories about races that went well and races that didn't. I ran one a few weeks back that was 10 degrees warmer than it should've been, where I staged myself too far back to start (so the starting bit was even more of a cluster than it usually is), and I didn't realize that they had changed the course since last year and that this year's had elevation changes that I wasn't prepared for. I spent a good amount of time that race thinking "just don't throw up...just don't throw up..." over and over. Even after all of that, crossing the finish line still felt amazing.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    AliceDark wrote: »

They remember their first races, so they know what to expect from yours. They'll be thrilled that you're letting them share your first race with you.

Everyone has stories about races that went well and races that didn't. I ran one a few weeks back that was 10 degrees warmer than it should've been, where I staged myself too far back to start (so the starting bit was even more of a cluster than it usually is), and I didn't realize that they had changed the course since last year and that this year's had elevation changes that I wasn't prepared for. I spent a good amount of time that race thinking "just don't throw up...just don't throw up..." over and over. Even after all of that, crossing the finish line still felt amazing.

when i was doing rotc fitness test, barfing was not an excuse to stop. rule was don't barf on the track. i was not a runner then and even then the rangers would loop back to us and encourage us to keep going. some with sweaters with mom's spagetti.

note: above story was for anecdotal purposes. don't push yourself so hard you barf. unless it nerves. then just get it out
  • acorsaut89
    acorsaut89 Posts: 1,147 Member
    Options
    acorsaut89 wrote: »
    Im barely able to wear a tank top thats form fitting. Instead of being proud that im off my couch and exercising, Im paranoid about my rolls. Im a mess

You might not be the most photogenic when running, most people aren't. I know I have some very unflattering photos the race photographer took of me rounding corners into the finish chute or going up a hill or even just trying not to quit. It probably won't be elegant or graceful, your face might look like you're in serious pain (and you might very well be) . . . but who cares? I bet you will find so many people there who are supporting you and what you do. One of my runs I was like 3rd last coming in. I was really upset with myself . . . I wanted to do better. But then as I was getting my medal and walking away a guy (who finished waaaaaaaay ahead of me) came up, gave me a high five and said to me "You did a great job out there!". The running community is super supportive - they all know what it's like to have to start somewhere. This is your somewhere, girl! I still remember my first run, the faces I saw and how I felt. Embrace and enjoy this one :) and if you're anything like the rest of us, it won't be your last.

Oh *kitten*...they take pictures??!!??

At most races they do, yes. They will have a race photographer or multiple ones, depending on how big of a race it is - for example, the first one I did had a 5K, 10K and half marathon option so I think they had 3 or 4 photographers out on the course. It's mostly promotional plus some people's photos turn out great - other's not so much. Also people usually like to see themselves or have a picture crossing the finish line or whatever. My profile picture is from a run in the summer where it was like 30 degrees C and was super humid. It was brutal lol.

Depending on how big your race is or the organizers, they may or may not take pictures.
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    @lbt1004, you are going to find that runners are a very welcoming and supportive group. When I ran my first 5K, as I walked to the starting area, I mentioned to no one in particular something like, "I can't believe I'm about to run my first race" and instantly a couple people were there to offer their encouragement, ask how I got started, etc. We were so involved in our conversation that we didn't even realize is when the race started until the crowd around us started moving forward.

If you have two friends there with you, both experience runners, you already are going with fantastic support system!!! How very cool that they are doing that for you!! I promise you that the only thing that will get them annoyed is if you berate your ability, express doubt, or try to quit. Return the favor by being positive and showing that their presence is making a difference. They are there to share in the joy of your impending huge achievement! They will be as excited as you will be!
  • lbt1004
    Options
    7lenny7 wrote: »
    @lbt1004, you are going to find that runners are a very welcoming and supportive group. When I ran my first 5K, as I walked to the starting area, I mentioned to no one in particular something like, "I can't believe I'm about to run my first race" and instantly a couple people were there to offer their encouragement, ask how I got started, etc. We were so involved in our conversation that we didn't even realize is when the race started until the crowd around us started moving forward.

If you have two friends there with you, both experience runners, you already are going with fantastic support system!!! How very cool that they are doing that for you!! I promise you that the only thing that will get them annoyed is if you berate your ability, express doubt, or try to quit. Return the favor by being positive and showing that their presence is making a difference. They are there to share in the joy of your impending huge achievement! They will be as excited as you willwhauote]

That is awesome advice about my friends, thank you! My biggest enemy is myself. I know I will finish the race, but I feel I should be able to run the whole thing . I can walk a 5k, so next is running a 5k, right? I feel if I have to walk some, Im failing. Am I being ridiculous or too hard on myself?
  • lbt1004
    Options
    Wow...im messing up my replys...sorry guys
  • mefullerton
    mefullerton Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I love to run & don't look like a runner. I love when I break my own times for my miles. I'm determined to get to a point where I job/run for 30 solid minutes...I'm not there yet but will be. Good luck on your 5K!
  • lbt1004
    Options
    I love to run & don't look like a runner. I love when I break my own times for my miles. I'm determined to get to a point where I job/run for 30 solid minutes...I'm not there yet but will be. Good luck on your 5K!

Im not up to 30 minutes yet either. But like you, I will get there!
  • 7lenny7
    Options
    Just go to the race, enjoy the atmosphere and your friends and whatever happens, happens. If you walk part of it, that's fine. Nothing bad will happen if you do.

I have a feeling, though, that you will surprise yourself and do better than you thought possible!
  • lbt1004
    Options
    7lenny7 wrote: »
    Just go to the race, enjoy the atmosphere and your friends and whatever happens, happens. If you walk part of it, that's fine. Nothing bad will happen if you do.

I have a feeling, though, that you will surprise yourself and do better than you thought possible!

You mean this big neon sign shaped liked an arrow doesnt light up if I start walking, informing everyone around me Im a loser....lol...I feel better now. I do, really. Like you said...what ever happens, happens.
  • lucyloutoo
    lucyloutoo Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    I love that saying, how it doesn't matter how slow you go, you're still lapping everyone on the couch.
    Sounds like you're going to do awesome,just try keep the nerves in check and enjoy.
  • tlacox1
    tlacox1 Posts: 373 Member
    Options

I understand where you're coming from on that! I wear tops like that BUT I put a loose fitting tank over it. I get my tanks from the men's department so that they are loose and long enough to cover my big bottom. It seems as if everything in the women's section is form fitting and too short. :/
  • lbt1004
    Options
    Just finished my 25 minute run with my form fitting tank top on and my head held high. Thanks for all the encouragement guys. :*
  • 7lenny7
    Options
    You're kicking butt, @lbt1004!
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    Just finished my 25 minute run with my form fitting tank top on and my head held high. Thanks for all the encouragement guys. :*

Awesome!
  • lucyloutoo
    lucyloutoo Posts: 522 Member
    Options

Im not up to 30 minutes yet either. But like you, I will get there!

You've done the hard bit...it's pretty easy adding an extra minute or two from here. Nothing like the torture of running for ten mins straight for first time. :)
  • lavrn03
    lavrn03 Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    I just did my first 5K last week!! I was nervous before too. I knew I could run it but just didn't know what to expect.
    Expect support, excitement and a feeling of success when u are done!!!
    I'm doing another one next weekend and not nervous anymore just excited.
    Oh and I was surprised that I ran FASTER too, I usually run it in 39-40mins. I ran it in 31 mins! What! Running with 100s of people keeps you going.