Constructive Criticism

Options
Can you all look at my food/exercise diary and tell me if there is something I should be doing differently??? I feel like I'm doing everything right, but my weight loss is still kind of slow.

I'm losing between .5 and 1.5 per week. I know that is normal weight loss, but I feel like I'm doing things right and it should be melting off.

Am I expecting too much out of my body?

Replies

• dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    Your diary looks pretty good. Watch the High sodium, high fat foods. Eat more fresh veggies.
    I took a while to put it on and it will take a while to take it off. Just think where you will be in a year.
    Slow and Steady. Think of it as a lifestyle and not a diet and it is something you will stick to forever.
  • Rachel6901
    Rachel6901 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I know I am in a similar situation, so my next focus is my Sodium intake. I REALLY have been starting on that lately and I believe it is making a difference. So much processed/pre packaged foods are very high in sodium, and low or fat free foods. When our sodium levels are too high, we then start retaining more water, among many other things. Look some stuff up on it. I know I am on that mission right now myself. Good luck!
  • sbwood888
    sbwood888 Posts: 953 Member
    Options
    Wow. .5 to 1.5 pound loss EVERY week?? Girl, rejoice! You have it going just right!
  • icerose137
    icerose137 Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    It's so easy to get frustrated or feel it's not going fast enough. I've been guilty myself of saying "only 1 lb" came off this week. Honestly when you look at how long it took us to put the weight on, .5-1.5 lbs a week IS the weight melting off.
  • sophieshaped
    sophieshaped Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Sounds to me like you're doing really well!

You do seem to have quite a lot of calories left over though – be careful not to under eat. There are lots of threads on here about eating your exercise cals.

Maybe you could also kick-start you metabolism by having a bigger breakfast – basically an egg is not very much!
  • Super23
    Super23 Posts: 3
    Options
    Looks to me like you're following a very restrictive diet. I highly recommend you read the book Eat This Not That The No Diet Diet. Some things you think may be good for you, might not actually be very good for you at all. I've been follwoing the food guidelines with the book and I've really seen the rusults, without feeling restricted. It specificly tells you which brand to get of basicly everything and what to eat at restraunts and what to drink, Let me know if you have any questions.I'd love to help:smile::smile:
  • DanOhh
    DanOhh Posts: 1,806 Member
    Options
    I noticed that you are leaving a lot of calories and not even reaching 1200 cals. on some days. This can be anti-productive and may lead to your body thinking that it is in starvation mode, in which it protects it self by storing extra fat. BUT, losing .5 to 1.5lbs a week is very healthy so be happy at that healthy weight loss. Good luck!
  • sandyfeet10
    sandyfeet10 Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I lowered my daily sodium intake from the MFP recommended 2500 to 1500 and have been trying to stay under the 1500. It makes me wonder why MFP has such a high sodium goal!

Do you still have to eat back exercise calories if you're not hungry? I'll check out some of the threads.
  • sandyfeet10
    sandyfeet10 Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I lowered my daily sodium intake from the MFP recommended 2500 to 1500 and have been trying to stay under the 1500. It makes me wonder why MFP has such a high sodium goal!

Do you still have to eat back exercise calories if you're not hungry? I'll check out some of the threads.
  • superstah00
    superstah00 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Just remember that you didn't gain the weight over night and it won't come off over night:happy: I have to remind myself of that when that stupid scale doesn't move!!!!!! Keep on keeping on!!!:bigsmile:
  • milaxx
    milaxx Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    I don't think your eating badly at all. I would try and bump up the breakfast calories a little bit. Perhaps some apples with nut butter or maybe a bit of greek yogurt and fresh fruit. You occasionally go way over on sodium, but overall it looks like a good livable eating plan.

I didn't look, are you working out at all? Perhaps that would help. Just remember slow and steady wins the race.
  • milaxx
    milaxx Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options

You need to keep the furnace burning, Hungry is your body's alarm system going off. it means you have waited so long to eat that your body has to call a fire drill to get your attention. Eating at regular intervals is best. I find that most people that have large amounts of food simply cannot eat back all the exercise calories. Try to eat enough so that you at least have a net of 1200. I struggle with this one myself because on my workout days I can easily burn 1,000 calories, and I have a hard time getting in all the calories on non workout days.
  • jenny4994
    jenny4994 Posts: 7
    Options
    Just to clarify what I know about sodium. The recommended limit is 2300 even though MFP halves this. We need a minimum of 1500 to function properly, you are within the healthy limits so I wouldn't stress too much. Just keep up the hard work because you are well on the way to reaching, just by having caught the healthy eating bug...
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    I think your diary looks pretty good! Plenty of fresh fruit and veg, good intake of protein, lots of water.

Your weight loss so far is spot on - if you still have a good bit to lose I wouldn't stress too much about eating back all your exercise cals, but I would try to make sure you take in at least 1200 per day. The odd day here or there under isn't a big deal, though, it's only a problem if it's every day.

Keep it up!