Morning exercise before breakfast

Options
Does it make any difference if you work out before you eat breakfast?

Replies

• Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options
    You might have less energy and performance, depending on what you do and how long you do it.
  • jlewisrn74
    jlewisrn74 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I always run before breakfast. It works for me but not for everyone. I only eat before I run on race days.
  • SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    Options
    if i workout before breakfast, i'll be starving after my workout and usually overeat. If i eat before i workout, i'm not so starving and don't overeat. Performancewise, i dont notice a difference.
  • armylife
    armylife Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    It depends on a lot of factors if it has an effect. I have eaten before morning runs or lifts and not eaten. It took time both ways for my body to adjust. Your body will also adjust to the stimulus over time. Lean Gains comes to mind when people ask this and people on this program will go through workouts and most of the day fasted.
  • Sirhai
    Sirhai Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Personally, I can only eat very little before I go running, like two tablespoons of yoghurt, or I will get heartburn without fail. To prevent overeating afterwards, I only ever eat the same portions. If I'm still hungry after that, I will have some tea and ignore the hunger, it tends to go away.

I do eat before strength training though, otherwise I'm way too weak.
  • darvinbak
    darvinbak Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Everyone is different but when I would eat before weight training I would get nauseated. No problems since I've been training fasted.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Find what works for you. I could work out first thing when I wake up, but if I wait, I need food before... but it can't be oatmeal or I want to throw up.
  • Obnoxa
    Obnoxa Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    I prefer not to eat before hand. If I am a little hungry when I wake up I'll grab a banana or a half cup up cereal but that's pretty rare.
    I found a breakfast kind of slowed me down back when I first started.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    Personal preference, do whatever makes you feel/perform better. There's nothing magical about fasted training as far as weight/fat loss.
  • bwogilvie
    bwogilvie Posts: 2,130 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    It doesn't make any difference to weight loss. It might improve your ability to draw on fat stores to fuel cardio exercise, but that doesn't make a difference in the body's net energy balance. It really matters only if you're doing ultraendurance events, such as running 30 miles or more.

If you're doing workouts of the length and intensity of an endurance athlete (like running for 2 hours), it might make a difference in performance, but not for ordinary fitness-type exercise. There are even training regimens that involve working out before breakfast. The most extreme one I've seen involves working out hard in the evening to empty glycogen stores, going to bed without eating (or at least without eating carbs), then doing a light workout in the morning to improve the ability to metabolize fat.
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    I usually eat breakfast after I work out.
  • mlcollins89
    mlcollins89 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I've tried doing "fasted cardio", but to be honest, working out in the morning is not my thing. I feel like cement...it pains me to move my legs. I think it's just what works best for each person.
  • mctaricani
    mctaricani Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I always run early in the morning. I mean real early which means I begin my runs between 4:30-5:00am. I do have two coffees before the runs. When racing, especially long distances, I have a banana and cereal at least 2 hours before the start.
  • ariana_eatsandlifts
    ariana_eatsandlifts Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    For me, I used to work out in college before eating breakfast. One time I almost passed out, so I've always made sure to have at least a little something in my stomach beforehand since. As others have said, it's personal preference.
  • fiddletime
    fiddletime Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options
    I have a cup of coffee. I think I'd puke if I ate before a workout!
  • dinosaurparty
    dinosaurparty Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    I'll have some water, or tea if I'm going to be up for a bit before heading out, but I feel like food slows me down. I don't really notice a difference in my energy levels when I eat first vs. don't eat, but having a big of caffeine definitely gives me a boost.
  • beverlyjlarson
    beverlyjlarson Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Thank you for all the advice. I think you're correct in saying that everyone is different. I think I will try it before eating and see how it goes.