vegetables

Options
I have tried all ways to lose weight ,, slimming world, weight watchers to name a few and I now realise where I have been going wrong, both let you eat unlimited vegetables and fruit. That's how I don't lose weight, logical really I suppose when you think of it. Counting calories on here has amazed me at how many calories and sugar are actually in some fruit and veg.

Replies

• queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    IKR. LOL
  • melonaulait
    melonaulait Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    I think probably the only vegetable that wouldn't make one gain weight is... celery. Because nobody in their right mind would manage to eat too much of celery :s
  • kissedbythesunshine
    kissedbythesunshine Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    You're so right. Those calories and sugar add up.
  • Gidgitgoescrazy
    Gidgitgoescrazy Posts: 636 Member
    Options
    I had a honey crisp apple, and although it was delicious, I couldn't believe how much sugar it contained, guess thats why it was so yummy !
  • MorganMoreaux
    MorganMoreaux Posts: 691 Member
    Options
    I had a honey crisp apple, and although it was delicious, I couldn't believe how much sugar it contained, guess thats why it was so yummy !

So true. If I eat a banana and an apple it puts me at the MFP recommended sugar level, which doesn't leave room for chocolate...so I end up exceeding the sugar value lol.
  • PinkPixiexox
    PinkPixiexox Posts: 4,142 Member
    Options
    I think WW's gets away with 'fruit and veg are FREE' plans is because you are already on a very, very low calorie plan. I know they claim 'not to work with calories' (which in itself makes no sense to me but whatever) but the reality is quite an eye-opener. I was on WW for about 5-6 months and YES I lost a nice amount of weight in that time. I literally could NOT continue the plan for any longer as I was ill. I had no energy, my hair was limp and my nails were brittle. I spoke through my diet plan with my PT and we picked it apart and worked out that on an average day on WW (WITHOUT my fruit and veg) I would only be consuming around 1040 calories.

I think WW's 'insist' on eating as much fruit and veg as you like purely to bulk out your calories as without the fruit and veg - you'd be on a ridiculously low amount. I worked out that when I was incorporating the 'free fruit and veg' into my day - I was at around 1100-1200 calories.

Having said that, my mum is the opposite end of the spectrum. She is on WW and hears 'free fruit and veg' and piles her plate high with the stuff. I explain over and over again that she needs to be watching her overall intake of every thing but she insists that Weight Watchers don't count F&V. Yet she's disappointed on most of her 'weigh days'.
  • Soopatt
    Soopatt Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    As others have posted, it makes sense why they do it - to encourage you to eat fruit and vegetables so I think the intentions are noble - but the end result is that it does not educate us on how the world really works.

I did WW when I was a teenager and although I lost weight it was not a good experience. I never really felt properly in control the way I do now and I now understand it was because of the unknown contribution of the fruit and vegetables. It actually made me distrust calorie counting for a long time as I was weighing my food but still not getting predictable results. Because of that, my teenage self learnt that the only reliable way to lose weight was through starving myself and various other unhealthy habits.

I love MFP as it is like stepping into the light. I am not treated like a child and we talk openly and honestly about calories for everything - from drinks to veggies. If I log accurately, I can't go wrong.
  • Yi5hedr3
    Yi5hedr3 Posts: 2,696 Member
    Options
    Yes - ANY diet that says you don't have to count calories, or says you can eat all you want is total bunk. Count your calories!
  • hazeljwatson
    hazeljwatson Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I know, with ww I couldn't understand how I wasn't losing much weight as I was sticking to the diet, however I was eating large amounts of fruit and veg. At least I know now, but it is so hard to get out of the habit. Day 7 now on here and I was doing great, but yesterday I cracked and ate quite a bit rubbishy stuff and took my calories way over, grrrr annoyed with myself don't know why I did it.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    Fruits and veggies are generally very low-cal and if you eat a lot of them, there won't be a ton of room for anything else unless you're eating for the heck of it and not to satisfy your hunger.

I lost about 40 pounds by eating no fat, ALL the fruits and veggies I wanted and small portions of everything else. I wasn't even trying to lose weight, just following the diet.

I still don't really limit my fruits and veggies. I eat A LOT of food. I do watch the calories, though.

It's possible to eat so many fruits and veggies that you gain weight, but I suspect that very few people have fruits and veggies as their highest-calorie food items. I would bet that it's something else that has them exceeding their calorie goal.
  • vivelajackie
    vivelajackie Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    I think that it's a BIT silly for weight watchers to have them as "free" food, because calories are calories. It's about counting them in the end. Still, I find that if you eat a ton of broccoli it's still less calories for how full you get as compared to something else, so I understand why they get by doing it. They aren't teaching you to account for the calories, however few they are.
  • MarcyKirkton
    MarcyKirkton Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    I lost 25 lbs on weight watchers but fruit wasn't zero points. Veggies weren't either. In fact cooked carrots cost a point while raw did not....due to sugars.

I'm unfamiliar with any free fruit plan. We were certainly warned not to overdo it.
  • booksandchocolate12
    booksandchocolate12 Posts: 1,741 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Weight Watchers does not allow you to eat unlimited anything. There's a difference between "zero points" and "free/unlimited".

"Zero point" does not mean "free for all". The materials clearly state that these items are to be eaten "to satisfaction", not gluttony.

However, I understand that many people--myself included--either ignore or are unaware of their hunger/fullness cues, and have no idea what eating "to satisfaction" feels like. If I'm not careful, I eat so fast that I fly right past "just enough" right into "completely stuffed" without even realizing it.
  • OhMsDiva
    OhMsDiva Posts: 1,073 Member
    Options
    I'm doing Nutrisystem and veggies are a "free" food. The minimum is 2 servings per day. I actually don't log my veggies but I know how much I ate. When I get closer to my goal weight I will be more mindful of my total intake but right now what I am doing is working well
  • livelovebbg
    livelovebbg Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I think probably the only vegetable that wouldn't make one gain weight is... celery. Because nobody in their right mind would manage to eat too much of celery :s

I second this. Hate celery.