Weightless Fluctuation

Options
So in the first 2 weeks of my weight loss journey I lost 16 lbs (8 per week) last week I only lost 1lb and three days into this week I'm down almost 4lbs. What's the deal? My diet hasn't changed I've literally been eating the same each week, drinking the same and actually exercising less the past two weeks.

Replies

• PinkPixiexox
    PinkPixiexox Posts: 4,142 Member
    Options
    There's that old MFP saying - 'Weight loss isn't linear'.

This is totally normal and happens to the majority of us. The important thing is - you're losing consistently and keeping at it. Good job.
  • LumberJacck
    LumberJacck Posts: 559 Member
    Options
    When you start a diet your body can empty out of mass in your digestive system which causes quite a bit of weight loss. You may also reduce the amount of carbohydrates that you are eating, causing a reduction of glycogen based water in your body. Finally any salt you have within a few days of a weigh in will cause water retention and weight gain. All these factors plus a few others cause variations in weight loss rates for most of us.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Hold on for another 6 weeks and average weight loss over the full 8 weeks
  • joshuakcaron
    joshuakcaron Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »

Over 8 weeks I've lost 30lbs
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options

3 days ago you were only 3 1/2 weeks into your weight loss journey, and now you're suddenly 8 weeks in?
  • joshuakcaron
    Options

3 days ago you were only 3 1/2 weeks into your weight loss journey, and now you're suddenly 8 weeks in?

8 weeks ago I started making changes to my lifestyle, I wasn't tracking food until 4 weeks ago this Monday that just passed. I did lose 8lbs in those first 4 weeks.
  • joshuakcaron
    Options

8 weeks ago I started making changes to my lifestyle, I wasn't tracking food until 4 weeks ago this Monday that just passed. I did lose 8lbs in those first 4 weeks.

Not much changed from those 4 weeks I didn't track to the 4 I did. I started going to the gym after the month of no tracking and I stopped binge eating all together (as I had a couple days of drinking and eating for celebrations before the 4 weeks of tracking)
  • BurnWithBarn2015
    BurnWithBarn2015 Posts: 1,026 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    I lost a pound this week and before that 2 weeks of nothing

When i look up my average over 2 months now i lost exactly the half pound a week were i am aiming for...only not each week. The total is the same.
    Sometimes 10 days in between sometimes even more.

When you eat the right amount of calories and you are patient and consistent it will come off...when...well that is up to your body. But it will come off and the average will level out.

95069916.png
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    It's just how it is. Weight loss is not like a woodchipper where you shove the input (caloric deficit) in one end and immediately get the output (weight loss equal to caloric deficit) out the other side. It varies from week to week and day to day.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Congrats on your decision to make changes and your progress to date!!
  • brb2008
    brb2008 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »
    It's just how it is. Weight loss is not like a woodchipper where you shove the input (caloric deficit) in one end and immediately get the output (weight loss equal to caloric deficit) out the other side. It varies from week to week and day to day.

Yep, we like to break it down into basic math but it will never be that simple. Your body is incredibly complex. I would keep tracking and see if it averages out to be the loss you're expecting.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    So in the first 2 weeks of my weight loss journey I lost 16 lbs (8 per week) last week I only lost 1lb and three days into this week I'm down almost 4lbs. What's the deal? My diet hasn't changed I've literally been eating the same each week, drinking the same and actually exercising less the past two weeks.

the deal is that weight loss isn't a linear function...weight management in general is about trends and monitoring trends...body weight isn't a static number...nobody weighs exactly XXX Lbs all of the time...you water retention/release, more/less waste in your system at any given time, etc...weight isn't static, therefore weight loss can't really be a linear function.