Can I really need so little forever?

2»

Replies

• kuroshii
    kuroshii Posts: 168 Member
    aggelikik wrote: »
    Your logging is a bit of a mess (1 cup of dry cheerios 100 calories?)

That's what Cheerios says on the box. Fer reals: I eat them too. More calories get added from the milk, of course.

• scolaris
    scolaris Posts: 2,145 Member
    momar23 wrote: »
    I'm 5'6 mid forties fairly active currently 168lbs and mfp has me at 1490 cals a day to lose one pound a week. I am set up as lightly active and I eat back most of my exercise cals so eating 1700-1900 a day and losing on average 1.25lbs a week. I'm figuring that once I hit goal my tdee will be over 2000 a day. Note that if I changed my goal mfp would set me at 1200 a day which would give me a daily deficit of 790 cals so short of a two lb goal. I see lots of maintainers with daily calorie goals in the 2000+ range at our age and height if they are active

I'm the same height, a little heavier and even older... And this is where I lose too. At an almost identical rate. I completely aspire to being a consumer and burner of 2000+ calories for as long as humanly possible after I lose this weight. (But I do weigh pretty much everything I eat even if the MFP entry I selected looks like it was logged by a cup measurement.) I agree you might want to confirm your 1500 calories are really just 1500 calories.

• mathjulz
    mathjulz Posts: 5,514 Member
    KezJT wrote: »
    The question I was asking was really can my TDEE be so far below what the normal TDEE calculators say it is?

At my size and height I should be losing 2lb per week at 1200, but am only losing 1lb so I have to assume my maintenance cals will be substantially lower than standard calculators say. Other than taking up some serious weight training (which is not going to happen atm) is there anything I can do to change this?

My definition of "fairly active" is htting 10k steps pretty much every day, cycling the couple of miles to and from work, running a house with 4 kids in it and so rarely sitting down for more than 10 minutes at a time;) I do not do any specific "exersise" regime.

If you're losing about 1 pound a week, you're eating at about 500 calorie deficit daily (average). Chances are that you're eating more than you think (it's very common), so you might want to button up your logging - weigh everything except liquids, log completely every day.

Or you could just go as you have been, since it's working (1 pound a week is just fine), and then when you get to goal weight, you'll be able to add in that 500 calories, or thereabouts. So, you'll be eating at 1700-1800 a day (or probably more, if you continue logging as you are, but that's fine). I doubt your maintenance would go much below that at your height. And, as long as you stay active as you get older, you probably won't lose that many calories for maintenance.
  • kuroshii wrote: »

That's what Cheerios says on the box. Fer reals: I eat them too. More calories get added from the milk, of course.

My Cheerios say "30g portion"

1 cup could have plenty more than a portion in.

The Op is eating far more than she thinks she is.
    Use a scale and weigh everything. You will be surprised ;)
  • siluridae
    siluridae Posts: 188 Member
    Ah, the plight of small people.
    But you also need to spend less on groceries, so there's that.
  • ZeroDelta
    ZeroDelta Posts: 242 Member
    kuroshii wrote: »

6tbf29prim27.jpg
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    The question I was asking was really can my TDEE be so far below what the normal TDEE calculators say it is?

At my size and height I should be losing 2lb per week at 1200, but am only losing 1lb so I have to assume my maintenance cals will be substantially lower than standard calculators say. Other than taking up some serious weight training (which is not going to happen atm) is there anything I can do to change this?

My definition of "fairly active" is htting 10k steps pretty much every day, cycling the couple of miles to and from work, running a house with 4 kids in it and so rarely sitting down for more than 10 minutes at a time;) I do not do any specific "exersise" regime.

That's not terribly active. That's normal life.

1200-1300 calories can be quite a bit of food if you plan well. Have you tried doing meal planning/prep in advance?

Really? On the app, it says basically that fairly active is moving all day, such as a teacher. Extremely active would be sports training or lifting job. I'd say she sounds like she has accurately identified her activity level.

I have found the activity settings have not been all that accurate. I initially chose sedentary because I'm a paralegal, which keeps me sitting at my desk most of the day, but found I was losing weight too quickly. I was weighing food and using a heart rate monitor, so I was pretty sure that my logging was fairly accurate. I changed my setting to moderately active, but still lost weight too quickly, then changed it to active and that's where it's been for 2 1/2 years. I lost most of my 44 pounds set to active, and have been maintaining a 44 pound loss this way.

I think activity level is something that people need to play with.
  • MarcyKirkton
    MarcyKirkton Posts: 507 Member
    SLLRunner wrote: »

That's not terribly active. That's normal life.

1200-1300 calories can be quite a bit of food if you plan well. Have you tried doing meal planning/prep in advance?

Really? On the app, it says basically that fairly active is moving all day, such as a teacher. Extremely active would be sports training or lifting job. I'd say she sounds like she has accurately identified her activity level.

I have found the activity settings have not been all that accurate. I initially chose sedentary because I'm a paralegal, which keeps me sitting at my desk most of the day, but found I was losing weight too quickly. I was weighing food and using a heart rate monitor, so I was pretty sure that my logging was fairly accurate. I changed my setting to moderately active, but still lost weight too quickly, then changed it to active and that's where it's been for 2 1/2 years. I lost most of my 44 pounds set to active, and have been maintaining a 44 pound loss this way.

I think activity level is something that people need to play with.

Well, I don't doubt that. Everything has to be kind of played with in my experience. When you find the zone, bingo.....

• LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    ZeroDelta wrote: »
    kuroshii wrote: »

6tbf29prim27.jpg

It also says 1 cup = 28 grams. This means pretty much 1 empty cup, with a handful of cheerios on the bottom. Cup is not really a measurement unit when it comes to solids.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member

But you aren't eating at 1200 calories because of logging issues

So I would be quite comfortable saying that no your TDEE is not that far below what it would be estimated at just that your logging is out

A lb a week is a good rate of loss though so it's clearly working for you