Need oil advice please!

Options
Hello again MFP friends!

Born and raised in the Mediterranean, i've been so used in having extra virgin olive oil with everything. When i started this journey, i wasn't really losing any weight while counting my calories because i never thought to include the olive oil i consume. When i started counting my olive oil calories, i started losing weight immediatelly and shortly after i decided to completely cut off oil out of my diet, except for the local traditional foods that i consume twice a week, which are pretty much veggies with olive oil, not fried though.

I love to cook, and i cook all my foods from scratch, and the fact that i don't use any type of oil anymore makes it hard for me to cook some of my healthy tasty foods. Do you guys have any advice for any oil alternatives? Should i use olive oil but in moderation? Is it that good for you?

PS: My family has our own extra virgin olive oil from our olive trees, which is very good compared to the olive oil you would buy from a super market etc.
PS2: In my country is very hard to find some of the other types of oils, so i'd love a more "mainstream" suggestion because chances are i wont be able to find any rare types.

*Sorry for any mistakes, english is not my first language*
Thank you!

Replies

• youdontknowwhatyousaw
    Options
    I use olive oil all then time, just less of it when I can. When making dressings and marinades, I cut a little of the oil out and add more water or vinegar.
  • ctflegal
    ctflegal Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    olive oil is not a bad oil. but if you want other oils that are healthy you can try Grape seed Oil or Coconut Oil (a little goes a LONG way)
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Hello again MFP friends!

Born and raised in the Mediterranean, i've been so used in having extra virgin olive oil with everything. When i started this journey, i wasn't really losing any weight while counting my calories because i never thought to include the olive oil i consume. When i started counting my olive oil calories, i started losing weight immediatelly and shortly after i decided to completely cut off oil out of my diet, except for the local traditional foods that i consume twice a week, which are pretty much veggies with olive oil, not fried though.

I love to cook, and i cook all my foods from scratch, and the fact that i don't use any type of oil anymore makes it hard for me to cook some of my healthy tasty foods. Do you guys have any advice for any oil alternatives? Should i use olive oil but in moderation? Is it that good for you?

PS: My family has our own extra virgin olive oil from our olive trees, which is very good compared to the olive oil you would buy from a super market etc.
    PS2: In my country is very hard to find some of the other types of oils, so i'd love a more "mainstream" suggestion because chances are i wont be able to find any rare types.

*Sorry for any mistakes, english is not my first language*
    Thank you!

Oil is great for you...I am so jealous that you have your own olive grove

Yes use in moderation

You can often cut calories right down by judicious oil use in a non stick pan ..there are some dishes like risotto that I think still need a couple of teaspoons (rather than the recipe 4 tablespoons) and others like Mediterranean roast veg that I'm happy to use spray oil in...you can buy an oil mister and allow around 4 cals per spray

Still jealous
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    Olive oil is great for you. Use in moderation if the calories conflict with your goals. Don't eat fat-free. Plant fats are good for you and necessary.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    I love olive oil! I use it with balsamic vinegar, pour over top of tomatoes and cucumbers and add Feta cheese! Great snack that is filling. You can use a little less of it. If you love it, why remove it? That sounds miserable to me. Find a way to fit it in and still enjoy.
  • IILikeToMoveItMoveIt
    IILikeToMoveItMoveIt Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    My father is from Italy, so I use olive oil in just about everything. Except now I use smaller portions when cooking. My food just doesn't taste right without it! I make it fit in my calories because it's healthy and important to me. I've tried other oils like rapeseed, safflower, coconut, vegetable etc. but it just isn't the same nor an acceptable replacement for me taste wise. It is so great you make your own! Maybe just use smaller amounts?
  • Yi5hedr3
    Yi5hedr3 Posts: 2,696 Member
    Options
    Oil GOOD....Sugar BAD... ;)
  • RainbowInTheDark
    RainbowInTheDark Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for your replies!

Which oil is better for frying/sauté? That's the only thing I'd like to use oil for to be honest. And by better i mean healthier not tastier, because olive oil is tastier in my opinion, i'm so used to it hehe ^^

I read something about olive oil being bad for frying because of the fats in it, i don't really understand how it works though, i'm fairly new to nutrition.
    rabbitjb wrote: »

Yes use in moderation

You can often cut calories right down by judicious oil use in a non stick pan ..there are some dishes like risotto that I think still need a couple of teaspoons (rather than the recipe 4 tablespoons) and others like Mediterranean roast veg that I'm happy to use spray oil in...you can buy an oil mister and allow around 4 cals per spray

Still jealous
    Oh yeah, that's a great idea, i will buy the light spray oil, thank you!
    Olive oil is great for you. Use in moderation if the calories conflict with your goals. Don't eat fat-free. Plant fats are good for you and necessary.

My diet consists of mainly salads, veggies, fruits and legumes. I do eat meat/dairy but in moderation and only boiled/steamed. I don't eat white pasta/rice/bread, only whole grain pasta or pita's few times per month. I don't have any problem losing weight so far (i've lost 30kg so far), my only issue is that instead of 180 calories for a tablespoon of oil, i'd rather eat a snack or something, that's why i am avoiding it.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options

Which oil is better for frying/sauté? That's the only thing I'd like to use oil for to be honest. And by better i mean healthier not tastier, because olive oil is tastier in my opinion, i'm so used to it hehe ^^

I read something about olive oil being bad for frying because of the fats in it, i don't really understand how it works though, i'm fairly new to nutrition.

Yes use in moderation

Still jealous

My diet consists of mainly salads, veggies, fruits and legumes. I do eat meat/dairy but in moderation and only boiled/steamed. I don't eat white pasta/rice/bread, only whole grain pasta or pita's few times per month. I don't have any problem losing weight so far (i've lost 30kg so far), my only issue is that instead of 180 calories for a tablespoon of oil, i'd rather eat a snack or something, that's why i am avoiding it.
    http://www.popsugar.com/fitness/How-Use-Less-Oil-When-Cooking-19020201

These work for us.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 10,020 Member
    Options

Yes use in moderation

Still jealous

If you have traditionally used extra virgin olive oil (EVOO) for frying/sauteing, and are happy with the results, you can stick with it. EVOO has a relatively low smoking point (190 C/374 F), so it is generally not recommended for high-temperature cooking, but if it's been working for you, that probably means you cook at lower temperatures, so no problem. (Regular virgin - not extra virgin - or refined olive oils have higher smoking points, if that's an option.)

I'm not sure what other oils are "mainstream" where you live. Here in the U.S., widely available oils with higher smoking points include corn, sunflower, soy, and safflower oils.

Also, there's no point in switching to another type of oil for calorie control purposes. There is no meaningful difference in calories for the same amount of different oils.

I'm not a fan of spraying your oil for calorie control purposes. I think it's very easy to be mistaken about how much oil you're actually using.

Finally, your body needs fat to make use of fat-soluble nutrients, including certain vitamins, as well as to build and maintain certain tissues in your body. EVOO is a great, tasty source of fat. You are so lucky to have your own olive oil from your own olive trees. I say use it, but make sure you account for how much you consume in your logging.
  • RainbowInTheDark
    Options

If you have traditionally used extra virgin olive oil (EVOO) for frying/sauteing, and are happy with the results, you can stick with it. EVOO has a relatively low smoking point (190 C/374 F), so it is generally not recommended for high-temperature cooking, but if it's been working for you, that probably means you cook at lower temperatures, so no problem. (Regular virgin - not extra virgin - or refined olive oils have higher smoking points, if that's an option.)

I'm not sure what other oils are "mainstream" where you live. Here in the U.S., widely available oils with higher smoking points include corn, sunflower, soy, and safflower oils.

Also, there's no point in switching to another type of oil for calorie control purposes. There is no meaningful difference in calories for the same amount of different oils.

I'm not a fan of spraying your oil for calorie control purposes. I think it's very easy to be mistaken about how much oil you're actually using.

Finally, your body needs fat to make use of fat-soluble nutrients, including certain vitamins, as well as to build and maintain certain tissues in your body. EVOO is a great, tasty source of fat. You are so lucky to have your own olive oil from your own olive trees. I say use it, but make sure you account for how much you consume in your logging.

Very informational!
    Thank you very much, i will stick with olive oil then, since i can be sure of the quality of it. That was very helpfull ^^
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    I live in Italy and we order our EVOO direct from farmers. I use it for cooking, unless I'm frying and need a higher temp. Olive oil smokes at a lower temp and Italians consider it bad for you (changes composition, they say) so I use other oils for frying--corn, peanut, sunflower, etc. I use butter very little. All of these fats have about the same calories per volume. You need to measure them very carefully since they are calorie dense, and add up fast. I put a tsp on my salad, for example. Remember that olives themselves have alot of calories, so weigh them. You need good fats in you diet, and olive oil helps. Another good source is nuts. I am in agreement that you just need to cut back--not eliminate your olive oil. Best of luck.
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    Like lynn mentioned, your salad and veggies are actually better for you if there is fat in them, because of fat soluble vitamins. Plus you just need dietary fat, period, for health. You might prefer a snack to some oil but adding maybe 80 calories of oil to your salad would be healthier than a snack and also keep you full longer so you probably wouldn't need a snack.

Are you logging your food here? What is the percent of calories you get from fat? If it's not 20%, it's too low.

• rtpjmlm5
    rtpjmlm5 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Keep using your Olive oil in moderation and organic virgin cold pressed coconut oil is awesome I keep a jar in the kitchen and one in the bathroom for so many different uses its great
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    Also from the Mediterranean and cooking with olive oil here too. It is crazy to choose any other oil over olive oil, do not even think about it. Just count the calories, and use it in moderation. Non-stick pots and pans help a lot when cooking. You need some fat in your diet, so do not think of it as wasted calories, think of it as necessary and healthy fat :)
  • RainbowInTheDark
    Options
    Ok guys, i got the point now. I will add EVOO back to my diet. Thank you for helping me out, as i said i'm fairly new to nutrition and i don't want to make any major mistakes with my diet whilst finding out what's working best for me.