Are you tracking your Macros?

Options
I recently began tracking my macros and I'm having a hard time hitting my protein without going over my fat. Anyone want to share lean recipes!?

Replies

• functionalfitnesscpt
    Options
    j5s3ztzorhyq.jpeg
    Spinach, egg whites, and seedsational bread from Sprouts.
  • brb2008
    brb2008 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    I add protein to every meal because I have the same issue, except I just plain have a hard time hitting my protein goals every day. I add canned chicken to soups or salads at lunch (for convenience, someday I hope to bring it cooked from home to reduce processed foods), always have an egg based breakfast (either a single egg plus whites or 2 hardboiled eggs with mustard- depending on how tough my workout is!) I know chicken is boring, but I eat it most nights because it's quite lean. At least it's not hamburger! I cook it different ways every day, and sometimes splurge on a breaded version. Another great lunch or dinner option is shrimp or tuna if you like them! I enjoy a can of tuna drained, with peas or diced tomatoes and a greek vinaigrette. I don't know, something about that mixture always satisfies me!
  • functionalfitnesscpt
    Options
    @brb2008 thank you for your response! I've just started using canned chicken and tuna as well. I rinse it like crazy to drain the sodium.
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Options
    I use low or 0% fat items so I have more control over my sources of fat. On a day when I'll eat a lot of low fat protein, I can get more fat from other items. On a day when I eat more sausage or beef, I do the opposite.
  • rankinsect
    rankinsect Posts: 2,238 Member
    Options
    I really personally only care about protein, I let fat and carbs fall where they will. Oddly, I come closer than I expected to my goals, over time at least, any given day could be way off.
  • stefankruithof
    stefankruithof Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    As a vegetarian, but not a vegan, I find lean dairy products the most convenient source of protein. Quark, Greek yoghurt, or Icelandic Skyr, are all products with an excellent protein-to-calories ratio. The quark I had with breakfast this morning offers 17.8 grams of protein for every 100 calories it contains!

Below is my breakfast from earlier today. It's 500 grams of quark (that's 45g protein for only 250kcal) mixed with brown rice, quinoa seeds, and a fortified syrup (high in iron). On the side are an orange and some orange juice.

2hnds8vhptek.jpg

• nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    I add protein powder to my coffee.
  • jmule24
    jmule24 Posts: 1,382 Member
    Options
    1. What is your daily protein goal?
    2. Are you in a caloric deficit or surplus?
    3. Are you consistently hitting your calorie goal?
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Fat really isn't a huge deal if you go over, IMO. I only care about protein personally, although if my fat is too low I'll have a couple nuts.