Calories burned grooming dogs?

Options
Hey guys,

I'm a dog groomer and I can't find anything online to help me calculate my calories burned. I am eventually going to get a fitness tracking device but I need help in the meantime. I'm not sure what all information is needed but ask away. Thank you!

Replies

• Clarewho
    Clarewho Posts: 494 Member
    Options
    I think I'd be tempted to just set my activity level accordingly then assess from there. So eg if you work f/t and are always grooming/on your feet you're probably active? Then review in a month and adjust if your rate of loss is not what you expect.
  • ariana_eatsandlifts
    ariana_eatsandlifts Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    I agree with just including it as part of your daily activity level and seeing how that affects your weight loss. Maybe lightly active?
  • Pawsforme
    Pawsforme Posts: 645 Member
    Options
    I have a Fibit Charge HR. I can tell you that my calorie burn rate doesn't go up much at all above sedentary while I'm grooming my Shih Tzu. That's bathing, drying with a forced air dryer, nails, brushing out, clipping. You'd likely use more calories with a larger or more resistant dog, though.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    Work should be part of your activity level rather than logged as exercise.
  • antennachick
    antennachick Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    I would consider all your activity and set that as your activity level. If you are on your feet most the day set it according to that. I use to groom dog, but in addition I showed, trained, ran the kennel ect so my activity level was for sure active. I wont log it as exercise but rather your activity level...
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,088 Member
    Options
    I would not log this as exercise personally.
    I clean for a living , I'm on my feet running around , bending and lifting for 12 hrs per day. I don't log it. Its part of my daily goal. I would be double dipping if I logged it .
  • ecjim
    ecjim Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    Shawnee73 wrote: »
    Hey guys,

I'm a dog groomer and I can't find anything online to help me calculate my calories burned. I am eventually going to get a fitness tracking device but I need help in the meantime. I'm not sure what all information is needed but ask away. Thank you!

It depends - do they sit still or do you have the chase them? Eastcoast Jim
  • senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    Options
    I'd just make it part of daily activity and adjust based on weight lost to avoid overthinking it.
    If you really want to get into it, I'd say chasing a dog if it has the room to run away is obviously jogging, but you're not liable to get more than micro bursts of it.
    A dog actively struggling against you probably best matches uses a rowing machine at less than the lowest settings given the intermittent nature.