Is it weird to. . .

Options
oBirdieo
oBirdieo Posts: 148
ignore the doorbell?

I'm working at home today. For me, working at home = no makeup, hair in pigtails, pink slippers, purple shirt, no bra, and yoga pants.

I'm not expecting anyone.

The doorbell rang. I ignored it.

The person jiggled the mail flap. I ignored it.

They jiggled it again. I ignored it.

All the while I'm sat upstairs at my desk in front of the window in full view of everyone on the street. :smile:

Is it weird to NOT answer your door? I mean, obviously I'm not looking too great today, but I always tend to ignore the doorbell unless I'm expecting someone or a delivery. Do other people love it when the doorbell goes and race to answer it?

Replies

• dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    If they don't call before they come and you are not expecting a package I would not answer it.
  • tam120
    tam120 Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    I hardly ever answer the door unless I'm expecting someone or something (unless it's the in-laws - they never call first - lame). It's my door, it's my right.
  • timeforme23
    timeforme23 Posts: 461
    Options
    If im not expecting you I probably don't want to talk to you lol. Dont feel bad about it at all! If it was important they would have called first
  • jeff261159
    jeff261159 Posts: 385
    Options
    Called round today to deliver some flowers and healthy chocolates, couldnt get an answer at the door, so ate the chocs.........
  • breezey77
    breezey77 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Ha, ha! I'm working from home today too and like you I don't really get dressed/presentable on these days. Unless I'm expecting someone I tend to not answer the door either. If it's someone I know, they will call me and say, "OPEN THE DOOR!!!" Nice to know I'm not the only one! :)
  • mike_littlerock
    mike_littlerock Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    I often work from home, and unless I am expecting someone, I usually ignore the doorbell. when I have answered it in the past it seems that 90%+ of the time it was someone trying to sell me a product/service, or save my from hell. I do not buy from door to door solicitors, and my own church is already quite busy working on the saving me from hell project. lol
  • ChRiStA_1983
    ChRiStA_1983 Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    Nope! I hate it when people drop by unexpectedly (usually because the surprise visit happens at the worst possible moment - when I'm lounging in my pj's, and looking like garbage! lol). If I'm not expecting company, don't expect me to be ready to have you over! lol

I actually do the same thing with the phone! If I'm busy working, or on the treadmill, I'll just let it ring. I figure, that's why we have an answering machine! If it's important enough, the person will either leave a message, or call back, and I'll answer when I'm not otherwise occupied!
  • chadam1015
    chadam1015 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I do the same thing. I want a warning if someone is coming over. I dont care who it is!
  • Hottness4Lyfe
    Hottness4Lyfe Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    If I'm not expecting anyone they don't get in.... I've even been sitting in the living room in front of an open window and not anwsered the door..... I believe people should respect others space and privacy. Plus if I wanted company I would have invited you over...:explode:
  • rosieflo
    rosieflo Posts: 218
    Options
    We've moved to our new neighborhoood within the last year, and everyone here is so neighborly. I wasn't used to it. I was down stairs after I had woken up, but I was without my pants. The door bell rang, and I froze. I didn't move. Didn't breathe. LOL. It was my neighbor Amy. After I got dressed I went over and told her why I didn't answer my door! LOL. But, around my house, as long as I have pants on I answer! HAHAHA.
  • Fattack
    Fattack Posts: 666 Member
    Options
    I never answer the door unless I'm expecting somebody or something. I'm usually doing something and HATE being interrupted when I'm at home - I spend most of the time busy - either at work or exercising - that it's important to me to be able to CHILL without being bothered :)
  • madforplaid
    madforplaid Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I don't answer my front door anymore. It is just as stated before, solicitors for your money and soul. I have to admit that sometimes i get in the mood for the religious discussion and will open the door for church groups, just to quiz them on their beliefs (it gives them something to do besides having the door slammed in their face as well, so it's a win-win).

Luckily for me, I also have a back door on my house. This is where my friends, relatives and neighbors all come if they are visiting. Not sure where this practice started, but everyone in my city neighborhood uses each others back doors to visit (which means there is a lot of foot traffic on our alley to watch out for as well).

You aren't strange, nor are you being rude (if that is a fear). I mean, you are home to work, not be distracted by the outside world. And I'd guess that in all we have similar experiences working from home: you get more done because you don't have all those distractions.
  • meshellw
    meshellw Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    No... I like people to call first.. I like just wearing my sweat and t-shirt and cleaning without being interrupted. If someone comes to the door I don't answer it (unless its one of my kids) lol ... if I am cleaning and someone comes I never seem to get back in the mood to finish. I never go see anyone unless I call first..
  • oBirdieo
    Options
    Called round today to deliver some flowers and healthy chocolates, couldnt get an answer at the door, so ate the chocs.........

Come back, come back!!! :love:
  • oBirdieo
    Options
    Well I'm glad I'm not the only one then! I always feel like such a weirdo for "hiding" inside my house, but it's good to know there are other weirdos out there (or, at least, out there in their own houses)! :laugh:

I would NEVER show up to someone else's house unannounced and think it's such a rude thing to do.
  • Jdismybug1
    Jdismybug1 Posts: 443 Member
    Options
    Nope I do it all the time, especially if I peek out the window and it's someone I don't know. Or if it's someone I know I don't want to see.
  • msshaydlady
    Options
    After reading everyone else's post I feel like I am the weird one. The only time I don't answer the door is when i am reading my bible. I am not generally bothered by solicitors but my house seems to be a beacon for religous groups. I normally just tell them that I am a christian and invite them to my church. I almost always have cold water or sodas to offer them and then it over. Hmmmmmmmm, I wonder if they are just targeting me for my drinks. lol
  • chris0912
    chris0912 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    My hubs works midnights, which means he sleeps during the day. So, unfortunately I have to answer the door to prevent further ringing or knocking. I'm currently on the hunt for some decent looking NO SOLICITING signs to put up.
  • juliecat1
    juliecat1 Posts: 3,455 Member
    Options
    I HATE answering the door unless Im expecting someone/thing. But with 3 kids - I almost always have to answer the door. They run to it and start jiggling the handle or plaster themselves in the window and say hi to whoever is out there. I feel like if I dont answer, someone will call CPS because they think theyre unattended. Im horrible at telling people Im not interested in what theyre selling or preaching too. ugh!