Losing weight but not seeing any progress??

Options
So far I've only lost six pounds so I'm not expecting to see any spectacular changes, but I've honestly not noticed a single change in my body whatsoever..
When did you all start noticing your weightloss? Also is it better to go off body fat percentage or to do actual body measurements?

Replies

• random5483
    random5483 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Even if you are relatively fit and have a healthy BMI, 6 pounds might be hard to notice. For someone like me, even 20 lbs is hard to notice. Measurements are more noticeable than weight. I have lost ~20 lbs in 3.5 months. My body looks much the same, but I am down 1 pant size. If I were shorter, I am sure the difference would be noticeable, but at 6'4" and 275 lbs, a 20 lb loss is not so noticeable.

Body fat percentages are useful if you test them accurately. But many of the self tests are not very accurate. They are useful to get an idea, but measurements are probably better if you just want to see a trend based on weight loss.
  • KT_3009
    KT_3009 Posts: 1,042 Member
    Options
    Yeah I guess I'm just a little bummed out that i have been working really hard and not noticing any changes.. I might start measuring myself every week to see if I am losing inches and just not noticing
  • PinkPixiexox
    PinkPixiexox Posts: 4,142 Member
    Options
    Have patience! :)

You say you've "Only" lost six pounds but this is such a good loss so far - keep it up. As for physically noticing changes, that'll come in time. Physical changes tend to be subtle but know that you are getting fitter and healthier every single day. Also remember that we are our own biggest critics - it's likely other people will notice any changes way before you do (That's what I've found, anyway!). Give it a couple of months, take monthly measurements and go easy on yourself, you're doing great.
  • blossomingbutterfly
    blossomingbutterfly Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    KT_3009 wrote: »
    So far I've only lost six pounds so I'm not expecting to see any spectacular changes, but I've honestly not noticed a single change in my body whatsoever..
    When did you all start noticing your weightloss? Also is it better to go off body fat percentage or to do actual body measurements?

I started to notice around 30 lbs or so lost. My bf noticed at about 20 lbs lost. Others started to notice at about 45 lbs lost. It depends on your measurements and your size and all. Give it time.
  • Ishii19
    Ishii19 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    They say you start noticing at 10% loss - that seems about right to me from what I remember. When I was starting off until I could see results I just imagined the loss was visceral fat - the kind that is stored around your vital organs. You wouldn't really notice a difference in your appearance but you are way healthier without it, so it made me feel good to imagine it was there but melting away :)
    I would definitely also take pictures and measurements regularly in the beginning - both can be very motivating and help you see changes you otherwise might not. Keep up the good work!!
  • ncfitbit
    ncfitbit Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    I agree with the 10%. And lately, even when I don't lose scale weight I've been fitting into smaller jeans and other clothes, which I care about more anyway. Something good must be happening!
  • vismal
    vismal Posts: 2,463 Member
    Options
    When you will notice losses totally depends on your starting point. The more you weigh, the more you'll need to lose to notice progress. A good rule of thumb is that if in 6 weeks you can't notice anything different in before/after pictures, then you need to change something about your regime.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    I noticed the fit of clothes within 5-10 lbs. it's very individual. How long have you been at it 100%?
  • Thunderblue22
    Thunderblue22 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I started to notice at about 15 pounds lost. Clothes were fitting more loosely and my legs/ankles looked less puffy. Other people started noticing at 20lbs lost. I am at 25 pounds so far but I just started on 9/16/15. Keep in mind I have a long way to go but I think this is an excellent start. Really being mindful of carbs and sodium but also watching fat. Trying to stay with healthy fats when possible.
  • FitCurves1818
    FitCurves1818 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I'm down almost 30lbs and it wasn't until the last 5-7lbs that I really began to notice.
  • keepitcroosh
    keepitcroosh Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    Use a measuring tape. You'll see a much better difference. From experience, even when I was eating clean and working out 6x a week, my scale barely moved. But my entire body lost inches. You can check out my embarassing before and after photo. Again, lose the scale. Measuring tape all the way.
  • KT_3009
    Options
    Use a measuring tape. You'll see a much better difference. From experience, even when I was eating clean and working out 6x a week, my scale barely moved. But my entire body lost inches. You can check out my embarassing before and after photo. Again, lose the scale. Measuring tape all the way.

That's what I plan to start doing :) I may start this Friday and do measurements weekly.
  • KT_3009
    Options
    I'm down almost 30lbs and it wasn't until the last 5-7lbs that I really began to notice.

I know for a lot of people they don't notice until the 15-20 pound mark which I'm guessing is because of going down sizes and seeing proper changes! But other people have been able to notice changes in hips/waist measurements after only 5lbs.
  • KT_3009
    Options
    lorrpb wrote: »
    I noticed the fit of clothes within 5-10 lbs. it's very individual. How long have you been at it 100%?

I'd say I've been getting into exercise and calorie counting 100% for the past two - three weeks! I'm fairly new on here but I have noticed now that my shorts on my hips are a tiny bit looser
  • SingRunTing
    SingRunTing Posts: 2,604 Member
    Options
    I think most people start seeing changes when they hit 10% of their body weight lost. Other people start to notice at 20%.

Obviously these are generalities, not hard and fast rules.

OP: honestly, I don't always see the weight loss either and I've lost ~60lbs all together. Some days I look at my self and go "Wow I look amazing!" Some days I look at myself and go "I don't look any different" (and then my husband points out how ridiculous I'm being). I know I look different (I've gone from a size 18 to a size 8), but I just don't see it.

Base your progress on the facts. You've lost x lbs. You've lost x inches. Your head will mess with you, but the hard numbers will remind you that you have in fact made progress.
  • KT_3009
    Options
    I think most people start seeing changes when they hit 10% of their body weight lost. Other people start to notice at 20%.

Obviously these are generalities, not hard and fast rules.

OP: honestly, I don't always see the weight loss either and I've lost ~60lbs all together. Some days I look at my self and go "Wow I look amazing!" Some days I look at myself and go "I don't look any different" (and then my husband points out how ridiculous I'm being). I know I look different (I've gone from a size 18 to a size 8), but I just don't see it.

Base your progress on the facts. You've lost x lbs. You've lost x inches. Your head will mess with you, but the hard numbers will remind you that you have in fact made progress.

I think we are our own worst critics when it comes to noticing our weightloss! I remember when I lost weight a few years back everyone was commenting on it yet I had still felt like I looked the same and didn't see any changes.. Fast forward when I put the weight all on plus more I realised how silly i had been to not notice
  • RebeccaNaegle
    RebeccaNaegle Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    Its going to be really hard for you to notice for awhile, since you see yourself so often. Others will way before you do, I'm sure. Keep it up! It pays off!
  • beckyszajna
    beckyszajna Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I've finally noticed at 40 pounds.. Even though people said I had lost the weight, I didn't believe them till I finally had to shop for jeans again because I'd lost so much weight. You will get there don't worry. :)
  • KT_3009
    Options
    Its going to be really hard for you to notice for awhile, since you see yourself so often. Others will way before you do, I'm sure. Keep it up! It pays off!

Thanks :) i hope i can keep it up and be able to maintain the weight I lose afterwards..
  • KT_3009
    Options
    I've finally noticed at 40 pounds.. Even though people said I had lost the weight, I didn't believe them till I finally had to shop for jeans again because I'd lost so much weight. You will get there don't worry. :)

Amazing work on losing 40 pounds :) and I hope I will!! Trying to stay positive and keeping up with exercise and staying inside my calories