Success without counting anything.

Replies

• Therealobi1
    Therealobi1 Posts: 3,261 Member
    Op well done on your success. i wouldnt want to eliminate rice and bread from my diet.
    Will you be reintroducing them at some stage.

P.s i dont think its a big deal you not counting. i dont particular think counting calories is normal and as soon as i have faith in myself to stop i will stop.
  • lynder64
    lynder64 Posts: 285 Member
    Wonderful that you're both finding success in what works for you!
  • mommarnurse
    mommarnurse Posts: 515 Member
    I've low carbed "successfully" 3 different times. It's not sustainable for me in the long run. I've lost 82 lbs by entering my food into MFP. I don't count anything because MFP does it for me. I just make more healthy choices than before and move my body more. I love losing weight without food restrictions.
    Hi5! I've also lost 82 lbs! I think logging calories and staying with MFP teaches you (over a long time esp if there's a lot to lose) choices that are lifelong sustainable. There is no food that is "off limits" but I've learned how to limit myself.
  • tincanonastring
    tincanonastring Posts: 3,944 Member
    So, you've dropped a bunch of calorie-dense foods and subbed in a ton of volume with veggies to never get hungry, but it's the low-carbing that's done it for you? I'm truly happy you've found success with this way of eating, but I'm afraid you're mistaking the low-carb method for the reason you're losing weight. As others have pointed out, by dropping those foods, you've lowered your calorie below the level required to maintain your weight (CI<CO).

Are you planning on eating this way for the rest of your life? If not, what lessons have you learned for when you transition back to eating those foods?
  • ZeroTX
    ZeroTX Posts: 179 Member
    For breakfast today I had 4.5 slices of applewood bacon and 3 fried eggs cooked in bacon grease. What's the calorie count on that for a breakfast meal? I totally get the calories in/calories out thing, because it definitely works. I've lost a lot of weight doing it. But, low-carb, high-protein doesn't work that way. The only ones who say it does are skeptics who think that there's somehow no way that could work, but they are wrong... Anyone who has ever gone hard-core Atkins and gone into "ketosis" knows exactly what I mean. You practically sense the fat burning off of your own body. It forces your body to eat fat stores for energy in place of carbohydrates for energy.

That being said, I'm not doing hard-core Atkins. As others have emphasized, I'm doing heavy amounts of vegetables. This isn't a chore for me, because I love vegetables and always have. I would steal veggies off the cutting board while my mom was preparing meals as a kid. I also love meat.... So yeah, I eat a large helping of meat at 2/3 or 3/3 of meals a day. I often eat Atkins or Quest protein (low-carb) bars for breakfast, because I eat it on the go with a fresh brewed coffee from home.

Anyway, I didn't come here to poo-poo a diet of counting calories. That worked great for me and I will return to it when I get closer to goal weight. I do miss things, like for instance beer, which I have greatly limited on this low-carbing thing. I dislike low-carb beer (Michelob Ultra? Just water with a slight coloring!). When I was calorie-counting, I would just save 150 calories for a beer with dinner. I find that easy to do during the work day, when I can easily forget to eat.

Speaking of forgetting to eat, on the low-carb plan, I never feel hungry. I eat because it's meal time, and when I'm done with my meal I feel completely satisfied and full for several hours. This morning's breakfast of bacon and fried eggs is still sitting strong with me and I don't feel like I'll need to eat again until late afternoon. I was lacking in veggies on this breakfast. I usually scramble the eggs with onions and bell peppers, top it with cheese, and eat it with sliced tomatoes.

I'm down to 287.0 today after a high of 345 a few years ago and a high of 320 just 6 months ago. I had originally set my "goal" to like 225, but I feel like now that I can realistically look to 195-200 as my permanent weight and to get there within 1 to 2 years.
  • tincanonastring
    ZeroTX wrote: »
    For breakfast today I had 4.5 slices of applewood bacon and 3 fried eggs cooked in bacon grease. What's the calorie count on that for a breakfast meal? I totally get the calories in/calories out thing, because it definitely works. I've lost a lot of weight doing it. But, low-carb, high-protein doesn't work that way. The only ones who say it does are skeptics who think that there's somehow no way that could work, but they are wrong... Anyone who has ever gone hard-core Atkins and gone into "ketosis" knows exactly what I mean. You practically sense the fat burning off of your own body. It forces your body to eat fat stores for energy in place of carbohydrates for energy.

That being said, I'm not doing hard-core Atkins. As others have emphasized, I'm doing heavy amounts of vegetables. This isn't a chore for me, because I love vegetables and always have. I would steal veggies off the cutting board while my mom was preparing meals as a kid. I also love meat.... So yeah, I eat a large helping of meat at 2/3 or 3/3 of meals a day. I often eat Atkins or Quest protein (low-carb) bars for breakfast, because I eat it on the go with a fresh brewed coffee from home.

Anyway, I didn't come here to poo-poo a diet of counting calories. That worked great for me and I will return to it when I get closer to goal weight. I do miss things, like for instance beer, which I have greatly limited on this low-carbing thing. I dislike low-carb beer (Michelob Ultra? Just water with a slight coloring!). When I was calorie-counting, I would just save 150 calories for a beer with dinner. I find that easy to do during the work day, when I can easily forget to eat.

Speaking of forgetting to eat, on the low-carb plan, I never feel hungry. I eat because it's meal time, and when I'm done with my meal I feel completely satisfied and full for several hours. This morning's breakfast of bacon and fried eggs is still sitting strong with me and I don't feel like I'll need to eat again until late afternoon. I was lacking in veggies on this breakfast. I usually scramble the eggs with onions and bell peppers, top it with cheese, and eat it with sliced tomatoes.

I'm down to 287.0 today after a high of 345 a few years ago and a high of 320 just 6 months ago. I had originally set my "goal" to like 225, but I feel like now that I can realistically look to 195-200 as my permanent weight and to get there within 1 to 2 years.

I'm glad you found a way of eating that works for you. Great job on the weight loss so far. The part I bolded is really impressive. Kudos for recognizing the time commitment necessary to reaching your goals. You don't see that a lot around these parts!
  • BurnWithBarn2015
    BurnWithBarn2015 Posts: 1,026 Member
    High or low carb has nothing to do with weight loss.

If you want to eat low carb or have to ( medical reasons) good no problem with it. If you do it for weight loss...well it is not needed for weight loss. You only make it harder on your self.

I do high carb ( hit around or above 300mg a day) and lost weight just fine in the last year

95069916.png

I say:
    Eat now how you want to eat when you want to maintain later your weight. When you want or have to eat low carb for life. Than you eat low carb.

The only difference now is for losing weight you eat smaller portions ( create a deficit) that's all.

• pippypuppy
    pippypuppy Posts: 67 Member

I say:
    Eat now how you want to eat when you want to maintain later your weight. When you want or have to eat low carb for life. Than you eat low carb.

The only difference now is for losing weight you eat smaller portions ( create a deficit) that's all.

This...
  • pippypuppy
    pippypuppy Posts: 67 Member
    Congrats on the loss!
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    High or low carb has nothing to do with weight loss.

If you want to eat low carb or have to ( medical reasons) good no problem with it. If you do it for weight loss...well it is not needed for weight loss. You only make it harder on your self.

I do high carb ( hit around or above 300mg a day) and lost weight just fine in the last year

95069916.png

I say:

Out of curiosity does that include counting, weighing, measuring everything you eat and factoring in our workout calories?
  • BurnWithBarn2015
    yes i count & weigh i can not eyeball ( sadly enough)
  • elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,287 Member
    I'm also trying to lose without counting calories. I realize most here must and do..and that is fine. I just don't want to live my life that way. I'm not doing low carb..but just eating healthy the way I know I should and exercising. Before mfp.. i always lost weight doing just that.. But I do log sometimes when I want ..but mostly enjoy the message boards for support and inspiration.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member

And you plan to count, weigh, and measure for the rest of your life?
  • tincanonastring

I plan to do so. One of the things I've realized is that I'm terrible, absolutely terrible, at eyeballing portion sizes. Even after 3 years of weighing, I couldn't tell you if a hunk of meat was 150 grams or 300. It's a spatial thing, and I just don't have it.
  • enterdanger
    enterdanger Posts: 2,447 Member
    Congrats on your loss. I'm glad you found something that works for you. I hope one day not to have to count calories too. I tried that and gained 10lbs while "eating mindfully." My mind and my stomach just aren't on the same page.
  • BurnWithBarn2015

Yes it is a small burden to keep the weight off that way.

And to be honest i am a former restaurant owner so used to weigh a lot because of the specialty recipes we had.

And sure there are things you know and let go a bit when you are in maintenance like spices.
    But i see it as np at all to weigh my food or myself every day. I dont flip out over fluctuations because i know what i ate so i know i am right! Because i weighed everything out.

I dont have a problem with it...but i can understand that some do. If i calculated it...it takes me seconds to some minutes longer to do this. The day before i log my food ( i have my own excel list which is automated/macro's) So easy always the right choices and over 9000 foods i brought in there.
    So i made it simple for me to do.
    After dinner i sit down with a coffee...plan the next day ( slurf a bit over MFP) and by the time my first cup of coffee is gone it is all done...next day i only tweak the exact grams.
    no biggie.

95069916.png
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,948 Member
    edited October 2015
    After dinner i sit down with a coffee...plan the next day ( slurf a bit over MFP) and by the time my first cup of coffee is gone it is all done...next day i only tweak the exact grams.
    no biggie.

I do that exact thing, sans coffee in the evening. It's all planned, so I don't have to log anything all day, just measure and eat.

• BurnWithBarn2015
    edited October 2015
    baconslave wrote: »
    no biggie.

I do that exact thing, sans coffee in the evening. It's all planned, so I don't have to log anything all day, just measure and eat.

yeps same here.
    And i got a better eye for my portions of course after weighing this long.
    I have np with eating out either i dont flip out of a day eating more or not counting...i didnt get overweight because i eat out sometimes or too much sometimes.
    I got overweight because i ate too much all the time!

And kudows to OP and people who can eyeball. ( not the ones who think they can lol) But the people who can do without weighing food. It would be handy.

So superduper to them

For me i accepted it as a small thing to get and stay healthier.
    Those couple minutes every day is my life saver, so it would be really silly and dumb of me to ignore it.

95069916.png
  • rankinsect
    rankinsect Posts: 2,238 Member

I certainly do. It's quick and easy - a typical day takes me less than three minutes to pre-log, less than half of the time I spend brushing my teeth daily, and for an even bigger benefit.
  • chantelp0508
    chantelp0508 Posts: 162 Member
    I've found that when eating low carb, which for me is 15g of carbs per day, I don't have to worry about counting calories. My numbers are always under or on point. I threw out all the sodas and chips/snacks and I snack on cheese or jerky instead. I'm making it work. WTG OP
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!