New HRM but which do I use???

Options
So yesterday I finally got a HRM with a chest strap (Gaiam Zone Trainer). To test it out I went for a walk yesterday and it said that in 44mins I burned 256 calories, while mpf says I would have burned 147.

Now here's my question. Today I went to the gym and got on the ARC trainer for only 20 mins. The calorie reading on that said I burned 228 calories whereas my HRM said I only burned 132 calories. Which one do I use? I'm so confused T-T.

I put into my log the lower one just in case and even if it is wrong I'll have extra calories that won't be touched lol.

Replies

• h3h8m3
    h3h8m3 Posts: 455 Member
    Options
    The HRM is the better option. Assuming yours is like mine, it knows your age, height, gender, and heart rate, giving it a much better chance to properly calculate your calories burned. I find that my HRM is consistently WAY below MFP's numbers. Oh well!
  • wdwghettogirl
    wdwghettogirl Posts: 559 Member
    Options
    I go with my HRM. It's more personal than gym equipment and can calculate better than MFP can guess. But that's my opinion. :)
  • beccarockslife
    beccarockslife Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    MFP doesn't take your weight in to account so trust the HRM
  • stefine1216
    Options
    Yeah I suppose the HRM is more personal. The ARC trainers only have the weight option in fives so instead of being able to put in
    my actual weight I rounded up :(.
    Perhaps that is why I have been stuck at my weight. I've been eating calories that I thought I had worked off =/
  • stefine1216
    Options
    MFP doesn't take your weight in to account so trust the HRM

It wasn't just mpf that threw me off but the gym equipment as well =[
    Oh the deception! :P lol