Macros - good fats ok or fat is fat?!

Options
littlemissorange
littlemissorange Posts: 19 Member
edited October 2015 in Health and Weight Loss
So struggling with my fat % . I'm always over on my fat and undetr on my protein. When looking at it though it's generally because of avocado, nuts and other 'good' fats - is this ok or should I be cutting this out? - I eat 1/2 avocado a day and one portion of almonds
My macros are 40 carbs, 25% fat, 35% protein - 1600 cals. Which strangely I'm struggling to meet anomaly around 1400 a day

TIA

Replies

• lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 10,022 Member
    Options
    Going over on your fat % is fine; going under your protein is probably OK too when you have it set at 35% (35% of 1600 = 560 calories or 140 grams of protein). You very well may not need 140 grams of protein, but without your stats (weight and BF% at a minimum) I couldn't venture to say.
  • fi_b
    fi_b Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    How did you reach your %s? As Lynn said, you may not need 140g of protein but that does depend on your weight. This article might help a bit;
    http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/macro-math-3-keys-to-dialing-in-your-macro-ratios.html
    Good luck, and good on you for not being afraid of fats!
  • Yi5hedr3
    Yi5hedr3 Posts: 2,696 Member
    Options
    Your protein is ok, but lower your carbs and increase your fats.
  • littlemissorange
    littlemissorange Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Thanks for input
    I used mfp to calculate calories and macros based on 65kg weigh, 5ft5 and my body fat around 24%. I just want a last push to lose a bit more post preg tummy fat which is proving to be stubborn! I'm not unrealistic I kno I will never gave flat stomach due to excess skin ! X
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    While they tell us to avoid trans fats and limit saturated fats, they haven't said anything about "good fats" being horrid, so, personally, I wouldn't sweat it.

I think the reason people watch their fats is because fats have extra calories and people who are cutting calories are, obviously, going to want to see what foods are really high in calories and maybe cut down on those.

Doesn't sound like a problem to me! Those things all have ranges because there is no 100% Exactly Right way to eat. :)
  • kristen6350
    kristen6350 Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    Fat is good. It keeps you full. Which, while you are limiting calorie intake helps loads. Fats from Olive Oil, Salmon, Tuna, Avocados, Almonds, etc is good for you. Don't try and limit them because you think they are bad. I'm guessing you dieted in the 80's when fat was bad and carbs were good.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    As someone who eats 70-75% of my calories from fat, I'd say it was fine. ;)

I consider good fats to be the saturated and monounsaturated fats. They are the most stable (less likely to make AGEs and are less likely to oxidize) and they tend to cook well. This will include the majority of fats from animals, coconut, olives, dairy, nuts, and avocado.

I think of polyunsaturated fats as slightly less healthful. They aren't as stable, and if we looked at unprocessed whole foods, and they generally occur at a lower rate of frequency in nature, which makes me think we weren't meant to eat a lot of it. I tend to avoid foods with a higher level of polyunsaturated fats like vegetable oil, canola oil and such. My exception for this is fish; they are fairly high in polyunsaturated fats.

I never eat foods with added trans fats. Too be honest, I don't think you can even sell food with transfats added to it in Canada. I could be wrong about that.

Most foods have a mix of fats in it. So if you are getting one type of fat, you are probably getting another too.
  • scolaris
    scolaris Posts: 2,145 Member
    Options
    The way I look at it is this: I don't stress about the fats that naturally occur in my entirely unprocessed food. It's meant to be there! I do however stop and think before I eat anything with fats added so that I'm not piling on unnecessary calories. That means I spritz my salad greens & pans, avoid frying, etc. My fats vary from day to day but I would never limit them unless I had a specific reason.