Running

Options
My question is : How many days do you think I should be running ? I feel like if I don't run every day 10-15 km I will lose my cardio and I really don't like strenght training but I also don't want to get injured. Also is it better to run the same milage every day or run long runs some days and some rest ? Thank you in advance.

Replies

• MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    If you're already running 70-100kmpw and getting a sub-4hr marathon then get some coaching, rather than asking the question here.

Your plan should consist of long slow runs, tempo sessions, intervals and recovery runs.

Cross training is beneficial, personally I prefer cycling and swimming for that, but some strength training can help.
  • KaterinaDokuzova94
    KaterinaDokuzova94 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    If you're already running 70-100kmpw and getting a sub-4hr marathon then get some coaching, rather than asking the question here.

Your plan should consist of long slow runs, tempo sessions, intervals and recovery runs.

Cross training is beneficial, personally I prefer cycling and swimming for that, but some strength training can help.

• ThickMcRunFast
    ThickMcRunFast Posts: 22,511 Member
    Options
    You're running far too much for far too little result. Vary your training. Get a coach or a plan. Have rest days.

Strength training (such as squats and lunges) can address muscle imbalances and keep you from getting injured, in addition to helping your 'kick' in races.
  • Iron_Feline
    Iron_Feline Posts: 10,750 Member
    Options

Your plan should consist of long slow runs, tempo sessions, intervals and recovery runs AND REST DAYS

FIFY
  • patrikc333
    patrikc333 Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    I think it's up to you, some people enjoy diversity (long runs, tempo runs etc), some prefer to follow a plan, others like going out and just run

you won't lose your progress if you don't run every day, maybe run 4 times per week, with a speed work and a longer run in the week end and see how you find it

or register for a HM o full marathon and train accordingly, so you have an objective in front of you
  • litsy3
    litsy3 Posts: 783 Member
    Options
    I remember your other thread (about supplements) where you said you wanted to improve endurance and speed. It looks to me as though you're running everything a bit too hard and if you are doing the same every day you aren't really helping yourself improve either of those things. Running slowly will improve endurance (most of your running) and will leave you with enough energy to do faster sessions once or twice a week. Get yourself a coach or at least a structured training plan that has easy days, hard days and rest days in it. There's no need to run less if you don't want to unless you are exhausted, just get a better structure.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    You're running far too much for far too little result. Vary your training. Get a coach or a plan. Have rest days.

Strength training (such as squats and lunges) can address muscle imbalances and keep you from getting injured, in addition to helping your 'kick' in races.

^This
  • KaterinaDokuzova94
    Options
    litsy3 wrote: »
    I remember your other thread (about supplements) where you said you wanted to improve endurance and speed. It looks to me as though you're running everything a bit too hard and if you are doing the same every day you aren't really helping yourself improve either of those things. Running slowly will improve endurance (most of your running) and will leave you with enough energy to do faster sessions once or twice a week. Get yourself a coach or at least a structured training plan that has easy days, hard days and rest days in it. There's no need to run less if you don't want to unless you are exhausted, just get a better structure.

Do you have any idea of some free programs ?
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    I would recommend purchasing the book "80/20 Running" from Matt Fitgerald. The book explains well why you will achieve good results from running 80% of your miles at a slow, easy pace and 20% at "speedwork" pace, as mentioned by litsy above. The book also has training plans for all distance races that are designed to have you running 6-7 days per week, which sounds like what you are looking for. I have followed his advice and his plans for my last 2 marathons and got my time under 4 hours and then under 3:40. I think this book will serve you well if you are willing to take the time to read and understand it and also to follow the advice given, even if you feel at first like you are taking a step backward by running slower than you are used to.
  • KaterinaDokuzova94
    Options
    lporter229 wrote: »
    I would recommend purchasing the book "80/20 Running" from Matt Fitgerald. The book explains well why you will achieve good results from running 80% of your miles at a slow, easy pace and 20% at "speedwork" pace, as mentioned by litsy above. The book also has training plans for all distance races that are designed to have you running 6-7 days per week, which sounds like what you are looking for. I have followed his advice and his plans for my last 2 marathons and got my time under 4 hours and then under 3:40. I think this book will serve you well if you are willing to take the time to read and understand it and also to follow the advice given, even if you feel at first like you are taking a step backward by running slower than you are used to.

Thanks for the advice :)
  • SingRunTing
    SingRunTing Posts: 2,604 Member
    Options
    litsy3 wrote: »

Do you have any idea of some free programs ?

Hal Higdon's website has some pretty good plans that have variety and rest days built in.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I think you can maintain your progress running 3-4 times a week. You may do a strength activity, like lifting, on "off" days.

The buff dudes have a series of YouTube clips on how to make your own home equipment.

http://www.buffdudes.net/2015/02/buff-dudes-12-week-home-gym-workout-plan.html
  • modernwarpaint
    modernwarpaint Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I'd say it depends on what your running goals are. All I know is that running everyday is probably more detrimental than beneficial. Take dedicated rest days. 2 rest days is ideal. Then focus on the quality and variations of the runs that you do partake in. Running the same distance every day at same pace won't necessarily facilitate speed or endurance gains, as your body will adapt and reach plateau (although running that long will assist in maintaining/losing weight). But if your goals are to IMPROVE on running endurance and speed, then you need to incorporate variety in your runs ie. tempo, fartleks, intervals, sprints, long runs, hills. I would suggest strength training of some sort, but since you don't like it, maybe start with calisthenics or basic resistance exercises, like pushups, planks, squats, that don't require equipment, but help solidify a foundation for running (and helps prevent injury).
  • hamlet1222
    hamlet1222 Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    "I feel like if I don't run every day 10-15 km I will lose my cardio " - no chance, you could run that every other day and maintain or improve your cardio fitness (depending how hard you push it). Rest days are essential for everyone.
  • litsy3
    litsy3 Posts: 783 Member
    Options
    I'd probably second the recommendation for Hal Higdon or any programme written by actual coaches who will explain why they've set it that way. Don't just pick computer-generated apps.

I don't necessarily agree with the idea that you need to be doing less running, but I do think you'll benefit from making more (most) of it easy and combining shorter and longer runs and a weekly rest day.

Also, does the programme really have to be free? It wouldn't be too expensive to invest in a book (like the 80/20 one, or maybe the Pfitzinger 'faster road racing' book) that would explain how to put together a schedule and why.
  • gdyment
    gdyment Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    Depends on what your goals are. If you really want to be fast and do the work, you can run everyday (sometimes twice a day). You just can't run HARD every day. You can run 100 miles/week. But most "normal" people don't want to do that.

Pete Pfitzinger has some good marathon plans that range from a max of 55 miles/week all the way to 100+ miles/week but you'd typically do that 12-16 weeks out not all year. Hansons' have some plans as well that have a bit more intensity.

But if you wanted a simple idea, figure 6 runs, 3 x 7km, 2 x 14km, 1 x 21km. Throw some hills or intervals in one of the 14s mid-week, do the 24 on the weekend and probably monday or friday off. Increment all the runs by 1km if you want.
  • dmkoenig
    dmkoenig Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    If you are looking to optimize your fitness and running results then I would completely agree with others on the benefits of strength training, getting some coaching, following race training plans and mixing up your runs in a purposeful way. But some people just like to run (aka Forrest Gump) to clear their minds etc. as part of their daily regimen with no particular fitness goals in mind. So the right answer is going to depend on your personal goals and interests.
  • KaterinaDokuzova94
    Options
    I do it to clear my mind too and to release the stress but I feel I can do more. I will try to increase the milage and next week (cuz this will be too busy )I will try to do 100 miles (even if I have to work out twice a day) to see if I can make it and how I feel. I will also try to cut down on animal products and meet for some period. Thank u all ! :)
  • gdyment
    gdyment Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    Um, going 100 miles in a week is ok if you're already doing 80 or 90. But not if you're at 50. What is your avg miles/week for the last 12 weeks?
  • KaterinaDokuzova94
    Options
    It was around 55 miles last week