low back problems

Options
ten years ago I had a spinal fusion from L-3 to S-1. I have tried running in short distances to get my heart rate up and always end up hurting. The back doc. said NO RUNNING! So, what can I do to raise my heart rate for 20 seconds, then cool for 2 minutes and return to the elevated heart rate for 20 seconds? I like to try to do this for 5 times in an effort to lose those last 4 suborn pounds.

Replies

• lezerlies
    lezerlies Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I have the same back issues. I've heard, excersise bike (which is hard on my back as well since it compresses the spine), elliptical and swimming for cardio. Personally, I power walk on the treadmill
  • Kullerva
    Kullerva Posts: 1,114 Member
    Options
    Power walking works great for low-impact cardio. Jessica Smith has a bunch of free power walks online that would definitely be worth a try. (I use these on my off-running days. Her focus is on getting the heart rate up using the arms more than the legs/spine.) While I don't have medical issues with my back, it gets pretty sore with impact. The best ways I've found to deal with it are:

2 yoga poses: Seal (arms on the floor, shoulders up gets a *really* good stretch going) and Spinal Twist (left and right side; hold at least 2 minutes per side)

Ergonomic office spaces: I work in an office and my friends have given me ergonomic footrests and really good back support. Now my back only hurts when I really overdo it.

• jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Have you guys tried the recumbent bicycle? Swimming would be good, too. I've done HIIT intervals swimming (any stroke that suited me) following the clock and my heart rate got good and elevated in those twenty minutes.

I will even jog along in the pool waving my arms and legs like a fool. After all, if heart rate is the target, who cares about progress?
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    There are dozens of alternatives to running-- squats, lunges, rebounding, stair climbing, incline walking, stationary bike, outdoor bike, elliptical, rowing machine, burpees, mountain climbers, jumping jacks, plyometrics, kettlebell swings, swimming, water aerobics, dance, land aerobics, speed walking, step aerobics, kickboxing...
  • lezerlies
    lezerlies Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Okay, things like burpees, mountain climbers, jumping jacks, plyometrics and kettleball swings are HORRIBLE for someone with serious back problems. The whole point is to avoid a lot of impact.
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    Hey, I'm not playing doctor, I just answered what are alternatives to running to get one's heart rate up.

But I would say that kettlebell swings, mountain climbers, some plyo moves and jumping jacks aren't high impact. Whether they're right for her back, I don't know.
  • palmettoadventurer
    palmettoadventurer Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I like the recumbent bike and the elliptical for not hurting my back. You can increase and decrease the resistance levels to get the effect you want.
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    A month ago I fell flat on my back on a tram here in Rome. I've had alot of pain and difficulty walking--but I swim and while swimming, it was marvelous--no pain! I also do water aerobics and that was also totally doable. Once I got out of the pool, walking home was torture. I suggest swimming for back problems. I was amazed. Good luck with whatever you decide to do.
  • cafeaulait7
    cafeaulait7 Posts: 2,459 Member
    Options
    The water really is like magic for back problems. I have UB/neck problems myself, and the water is the most wonderful way to work it (too bad my cheapie place here keeps the water way too cold for me :( ).
  • JustaJoe00
    JustaJoe00 Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    i was just watching some videos online today...and saw one about exercises for lower back pain...have you done a google search? if i see it again i'll post it...
  • 123juliaj123
    123juliaj123 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I suffered with low back problems for years, losing weight has helped a lot and these days I can do most exercize, though I am always mindful of things that could aggravate it like carrying heavy things or sudden movements that could compress my spine or shock it.
    I started with swimming and I didnt push it to begin with because if you try to go for increasing your heart rate by working hard right away you may well push your back too far and end up not being able to exercize at all.

IMHO best thing is to build your strength carefully and in time you WILL be able to push yourself to get your heart thumping and should end up with a stronger set of muscles to protect your lower back.
    Listen to your body, if your back goes into spasm or even starts to complain then back off to let it recover
    good luck
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    I do not understand at all why you need to get your heart right up for 20 seconds and what this has to do with weight loss. It really is not something you need to be doing.
    What does your dr feel is safe for you? Walking, swimming, stationary bike?