Mindful Eating ALONE

Options
Hi all,

Does anyone have tips on how to eat mindfully alone? For me, the meals are always over far too quickly, I get bored/sad/lonely, which often leads me to a binge....

I do great eating with people- I truly enjoy eating slowly and can really appreciate the food in company. It's just when I'm alone that I lose control.

I have thought about intermittent fasting until I can eat a meal with company. Have any of you tried this?

Looking forward to your replies!

Replies

• JayRuby84
    JayRuby84 Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    I don't really know. I'm terrible. I put my son to bed at night and raid the cabinet. I would feel too embarrassed to do it in front of anyone other than my significant other. :/ Hope someone else has a good tip or two.
  • Kullerva
    Kullerva Posts: 1,114 Member
    Options
    I live alone (and actually enjoy it!) and mindful eating can definitely be a challenge. My best advice is to make eating at home easy on yourself. I prepackage all my meals in Tupperware in the appropriate serving sizes, so I always know how much I've eaten even if I temporarily lose track in front of the TV.

This can be tough to do with kids around, and I still sometimes *do* lose track, so I also try to do something else that involves my hands while I'm eating. This goes against every doctor's advice, but it works for me. For example, when eating breakfast, I have music on and crochet. Every time I complete 10 stitches, I get a bite (or two, or three, depending on what breakfast is). This makes me anticipate the meal instead of wolfing it down, like I would ordinarily. At dinner, I have the TV on and every time I take 10 bites (or finish a piece of the meal, like the meat or veggies) I get up and take at least 100 steps before moving on to the next course.

If this sounds a bit rigid, it is...but I don't do it all the time, just when I notice myself not paying attention to my food! Pre-measuring food is always a good idea when you can, though.
  • besaro
    besaro Posts: 1,858 Member
    Options
    lol, if i waited to eat with someone i would starve to death. However, if you're eating alone, try setting the table, sitting down with no distractions, no tv, no reading, and just savoring your meal. Present your food as if it was fine dining, even if crackers and cheese.
  • kailyw05
    kailyw05 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I find just chewing more, and putting down your fork between bites really helps. Even after you swallow the bite, pause for a moment and enjoy how that tasted. You've got your whole dish to get through and no one is going to take it from you. Savor each bite. Sip water in between as well. I actually like to watch tv and do this, see how long I can draw it out lol. Unless my dog is begging too much, then I might speed it up a little!
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I like it much better when I have to eat alone, frankly, lol! I can make what I want without having to worry about whether everyone else will like it, I don't have to worry about having breakfast food for dinner if I want to, and I don't have to worry about being 100% accurate in my measurements because I'll be the one eating the whole recipe anyway, so it doesn't matter if my portions are not accurate. So much easier!

And yeah, I limit distractions. I might browse the web but I pause to appreciate every bite and I don't watch TV etc while I eat.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    mindfulness is something learned and practiced. it also requires you to have self discipline and it requires you to truly listen to your body...eating when truly hungry and recognizing when you're wanting to eat out of boredom and then having the self discipline to go find something else to do.

• nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    I eat more slowly and consciously alone than with my family. I set the table. I sit down. I enjoy what I'm eating and listen to music or read. I savor it.

When I'm with my family I chat and shove food into my mouth too fast.
  • lacaro1
    lacaro1 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I am terrible at this too, but great tips here!
  • Bizzarrini
    Bizzarrini Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I'm opposite to most suggestions on here in that I love to eat whilst watching TV if I'm alone. But portion your food before hand and once you're finished, you're finished. I am still mindful when I eat and I really enjoy it, I just can't imagine just me, the table and a plate of food. :(
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,484 Member
    Options
    I love food, not the eating till I'm stuffed love.
    The deciding what to make, gathering the ingredients, the cooking of it, then sitting and slowly savouring the taste, texture, and flavour of every morsel.

My SO works away during the week and I just love sitting and and enjoying my meal with a glass of wine, or a beer.
    I also test new recipes on me, before I cook them for others.

Slow down and enjoy the experience.

Cheers, h.
  • Soopatt
    Soopatt Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    I weigh all my food as I dish it up before eating it, which does not allow me to eat more than I should. If there is some left over, well and fine, I can deduct that, there very seldom is as I savor every scrap.

I find that if I plan my meals in advance and take the stress of "I am hungry and I have to trust myself to scratch in the kitchen" out of it, I am calm when I prep my meals and calm when I eat them and eat them more mindfully as a result.

I have planned that I will have french toast with walnuts for dinner tonight, for example (it is not even lunch time). I know I have all the ingredients and when I get home from work I can calmly prep it, while listening to my audio book. I can weight it and sit down and enjoy it while listening to my book (which I find, unlike reading or TV, does not interrupt the experience). I have found that spontaneity is NOT my friend when eating alone.

I most often eat alone as my partner eats very differently to me and normally at different times. I agree with those that say that the bigger challenge is being mindful when you are with others as the company (and the temptation of what is on their plates) is distracting.
  • yogicarl
    yogicarl Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    Ha! If I put the fork down between mouthfuls, my wife says, "is the meal alright?".
  • patrikc333
    patrikc333 Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    my weak point, alone or with others, is that I eat too fast and I cannot find a solution to this. when I'm alone I try to have my mind busy so I don't think about food. My strongest point on the contrary is that SO FAR I got a strong will, so I might eat the meal in 1 sec or 1 hour, but that's it
  • keefmac
    keefmac Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    Drink a pint of water 15 mins before your meal..
  • manukahoneybadger
    manukahoneybadger Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I go without distractions (tv/ radio/ newspaper) and keep asking myself about the food- what's good or bad about it, if I could improve it & how... Of if it's pure bliss :) everytime my mind wanders I try to bring it back to critically analysing it
  • Lucy1752
    Lucy1752 Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    Have you read Susan Albers book Eating Mindfully? I read it years ago and re-read it every so often. The tips and practices in it are quite helpful.
    Like @cwolfman13 said above, it is something that requires self-discipline so be patient with yourself and expect there to be an adjustment period and learning curve until the new practice of mindfulness becomes habit.