Pregnant and want to lose weight

Options
Hey everyone. I am pregnant and at a healthy weight. But Ive gained a couple kilos that I want to shed before it snowballs. Whats the healthiest wayto do this?

Replies

• Mamaof2UK
    Mamaof2UK Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I would like to know too as I'm pregnant also and feel like I'm getting fatter by the second!
  • amgreenwell
    amgreenwell Posts: 1,268 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    I've been told not to cut calories while pregnant, even if you think you are gaining too quickly. Talk to your doctor, but make sure you are reaching for healthy, nutrient rich snacks/meals with LOTS of fiber so you keep things moving. Drink tons of water and walk at least 30 minutes every day. Talk to you doctor.
    Also, remember you need zero extra calories in the first three months, only 300 extra calories in the second trimester and 450 in the third, per day.
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    You should not be losing weight if you're at a healthy weight. No reputable doctor would condone it either. Maybe if you were Obese and under supervision of the OB and/or a dietitian, but certainly not at a healthy weight.

IMO, stop freaking out about your weight, enjoy your pregnancy and wait to lose weight AFTER baby's safe delivery.
  • enterdanger
    enterdanger Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    Please talk to your OB. Weight loss during pregnancy is not optimal for baby since weight loss means eating less calories than you burn. Baby needs those calories and nutrients. Just enjoy your pregnancies and don't be so hard on yourselves. You are both growing people inside you. That's hard work.
  • JustMissTracy
    JustMissTracy Posts: 6,338 Member
    Options
    In my opinion, I feel you should think about your baby first...think about getting enough good, solid nutrients into that child, for as long as you can totally control it....worry about the added weight/fat on your body later....Getting priorities in order should start long before baby is born...Baby's health first, mama's weight second..
  • amanda_0513
    amanda_0513 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    You shouldn't lose weight but you can get rid of unwanted fat like in the arm, thigh area. Just do a lot of walking and do some light weights. If you were already active before it should be fine but if your just starting talk to your dr.
    Eating right helps, don't cut calories. Drink water no sodas or sweet drinks.
    Prenatal yoga helps a lot with flexibility.
  • amanda_0513
    amanda_0513 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Moms health affects baby too....