Craft Beer a Fanatic!

Options
I love craft beer with a passion. I eat healthy but beer is my only vice. Anyone else in the same boat? Tips? I also get 10k or more steps a day religiously but can't make myself workout without thinking of it as s punishment for being fat. Thanks for reading.

Replies

• ald783
    ald783 Posts: 690 Member
    Options
    Yep you've described me to a T! I eat reasonably well but beer is a killer... 3 IPAs and my calories are MIA Of course Miller Lite is low in calories but that takes the enjoyment out of drinking!

I don't really have any tips because I realized a long time ago that if I gave up beer, weight loss would be much easier, yet I can't do it. Moderation is key, but easier said than done of course. Maybe try to keep it to once a week (or only drinking stronger craft beer once a week) and get some water in while you're drinking. It's good for hydrating but also slows you down a little. Beyond that, I'm not much help because it's my biggest vice as well. :)
  • kunkelkatie839
    kunkelkatie839 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much. It's great to know I'm not alone. I love Topo Chico so I figure I'll try drinking that between beers and maybe I can trick myself because it's also carbonated. I'll give that a shot. Thanks again!
  • Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    Options
    You can have your craft beers and maintain a healthy weight. You just have to fit them into your allowance. If your calorie budget is small you're going to have to do some exercise to get room for more.

I typically have a craft beer a night, and two or more on weekend nights.

Don't think of exercise as punishment -- think of exercise as part of a lifestyle addition. I've come to enjoy it, with the side benefit that I get more beer and food.

Also: not all craft beers are IPAs, Baltic porters, and barleywines. There are some nice pilsners out there, along with hefeweizens, milk stouts, sessionable pale ales, etc. The current trend is toward lighter sours anyway: Berliner weisses, goses, etc. Explore a bit.

Cheers!
  • rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    A friend of mine is a distance runner--and has the body to go with it. She is well known to say: "I don't run because I like to run; I run because I like to drink beer."

I am fortunate enough to live within the distribution distance of West 6th IPA in Lexington, Ky. I bank MANY a lap-swimming calorie during the week so I can enjoy my vice on the weekend!
  • AlphaGnome
    AlphaGnome Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I am with you 110% on this - I adore craft beer and am ALWAYS looking forward to the next new one to try! I try to plan my day around my consumption and try not to get carried away... I try and keep 500 calories free every day to enjoy my vice,this allows for some freedom.. I might want a bourbon barrel stout that is only available in a bomber or perhaps two bottles of a fruit sour, there is room to accommodate variety and quantity a bit.

I highly recommend using www.ratebeer.com for guidance when it comes to beer and calories. They have an estimate that is based on the ABV of the beer and sure, it might not be completely accurate, but it's better than nothing.
  • scolaris
    scolaris Posts: 2,145 Member
    Options
    I'm in! Love my brews!
  • natyack
    natyack Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    This has been my biggest struggle. I finally decided to stop drinking during the week. It actually makes me enjoy my beer more on the weekends! I try to limit my consumption to no more than 2 right now. Once I begin maintenance I know I'll be able to indulge a little more, so that keeps me motivated, too!
  • megcorey
    megcorey Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    This is my problem to i love craft beer nd wine nd so does my husband who of course not over weight
  • fostersu
    fostersu Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    Same here. I have found that I have to be very judicious about it- planning ahead and making up the calories elsewhere. But it certainly doesn't mean going without entirely.
  • smittybobitty917
    smittybobitty917 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    It comes down to how often you drink and what you drink.

You might try giving it up for a while. I had to give up drinking for a few weeks due to gout. When I did start having beers again, I truly appreciated them more.

Lower ABV generally means fewer calories. Anything labeled as "session" beer is made to be less alcoholic. I mostly drink beers in the 4% range. Also beware sweetness in beer since sweetness comes from more residual sugars. My go to beer is a dry stout which are about 150cals/12oz or less.

Cheers and good luck!
  • Anclote
    Anclote Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Hello my fellow craft lovers! I eat mostly vegan, and exercise all the time, but I work in craft beer sales and I have to drink it like it's my job because. Well. It is.
  • Graciemac70
    Graciemac70 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Oh Lort....I'm currently doing a world beer tour at Old Chicago restaurant. Over 110 craft beers and several mini tours along the way! I go once a week and it's the day I use for my cheat day!!
  • slider728
    slider728 Posts: 1,494 Member
    Options
    I feel you! I'm a lover of BA Stouts and Barleywines

Honestly, as painful as it is to me, I cut back on my drinking a ton. I used to have a beer every night after work. I was drinking a Revolution Unsessionable one night and I logged it. I found a can was 300 or 400 calories or something like that. Another night I was drinking a Dark Lord and found that a bomber has over 800 calories.

I cut out my daily beer. Now a days, I might have a beer after work once every week or two. I still drink but I usually wait until a group of people get together for a bottle share (small or large) and try a little bit of a larger number of beers. I do this once a month or so. For that one night, I don't worry about what I am drinking, how much, or how many calories. I just enjoy it :)