Losing hair

Options
i was curious to see if anyone is having an issue with clumps of hair falling out since they began dieting & working out.

I have noticed while washing my hair or brushing it i have to clean the drain/brush every time I do either activity. I have approached my doctor with this and her response was to either ignore my question or she didn't have an answer because I got no response and I have asked on more than one occasion.

Thanks for your responses in advance

Replies

• juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    If you're significantly undereating your calorie goals, it can be a symptom of malnourishment.
  • BekahC1980
    BekahC1980 Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    I actually do take a multivitamin everyday and also fiber supplements :smile:
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Protein! Are you hitting your protein targets daily?
  • BekahC1980
    Options
    at least my goal sometimes over
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    BekahC1980 wrote: »
    at least my goal sometimes over

Are you using custom goals from somewhere else?

The reason I ask, is because you don't always eat to your calorie goal (sometimes leaving 500-600 uneaten) and you don't always meet the protein goal at the bottom of your diary.

• BekahC1980
    edited October 2015
    Options
    I am on a 1300 cal diet from my diabetic dietician 45% carbs 35 % fat and 20 % protein. and I am not supposed to eat any of my exercise calories back but I do sometimes do that.
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    I am on a 1300 cal diet from my diabetic dietician 45% carbs 35 % fat and 20 % protein. and I am not supposed to eat any of my exercise calories back but I do sometimes do that.

Have you mentioned the hair loss to your dietitian?
  • BekahC1980
    Options
    yes and it was answered the same way my doctor answered it.
  • BekahC1980
    Options
    sometimes, on low calorie diets a person does not get all the necessary nutrients and protein
    would you consider starting to take a daily multi-vitamin?
    stress and anxiety can also cause this
    21 reasons why your hair could be falling out:
    http://www.health.com/health/gallery/0,,20727114,00.html
    * too much fiber can interfere with nutrient absorption. ex: calcium, iron, magnesium, etc. hope you are not taking fiber supplements with food http://healthyeating.sfgate.com/reduced-absorption-nutrients-excess-fiber-11914.html

thanks for these links
  • BekahC1980
    Options
    any other medications you are taking? high stress a couple months ago?

I am on a LOT of medicine sadly, and stress is a common factor unfortuanetly.. I have 2 children with autism
  • snikkins
    snikkins Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    yes and it was answered the same way my doctor answered it.

Then I'd think it's time for a new dietitian and/or doctor if at all possible.
  • jgnatca
    Options
    Diabetes can lead to hair loss, too. My second guess since protein is fine, is stress. Exercise like walking can help reduce stress as well as help keep your blood sugars stabilized.

If you can bear another pill, you might try biotin.

Expect any turnaround to take a few weeks.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    Lots of things can make hair fall out. If you're concerned and you think the doctor is blowing it off, get a second opinion.

I lose more hair than normal because of a thyroid thing. Lots of different reasons.
  • jgnatca
    Options
    About a doctor's hierarchy of concerns. My dad is in end-stage COPD and fights for every breath. His goal these days is to stay mobile as long as he can. He's on a steroid now that has some unfortunate feminizing side-effects. He mentioned it to his doctor, and the doctor shrugged. Dad interpreted this to mean, in the grand scheme of things, breasts aren't a big deal. The doctor's goal now is to keep dad breathing.

I imagine in the hierarchy of concerns, getting your blood sugars in control are right up there. Take care of that and a few other problems may go away.
  • BLifts38
    BLifts38 Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    I lost a considerable amount of hair during my weight lost the past few years. Probably from malnourishment. Also, I recently found out that one of the side effects from my birth control is hair loss, so I'm sure that played a contributing factor as well. I now take a vitamin for my hair, skin, and nail growth.
  • BekahC1980
    Options
    My blood sugars are in the best control they have ever been (was taken off of insulin) , but your right some doctors just want to take care of the bigger things.

I've been through a few doctors and I can't switch again until next year, as far as dietician goes the one I see is the only one my insurance pays for.

I get over an hour of cardio in 5 times a week and also strength training 3 times a week when possible.

I guess it's just something I'll have to deal with. I was just curious to see if anyone else experience this.

Thanks again
  • jgnatca
    Options
    Hair loss is a common consequence from the VLCD diet the couple months following bariatric surgery. So it is pretty common. It sounds like you are doing so many things right. I hope you all success in the coming months.
  • dawnmcneil10
    dawnmcneil10 Posts: 638 Member
    Options
    I took a look at your diary for the past couple of weeks, if that's pretty normal for you then you're eating pretty well. A few more veggies wouldn't hurt but otherwise it looks pretty good. What sticks out is not eating back many of the exercise calories yet you typically burn quite a bit. I see above that it sounds like that's a part of the plan.

If you can get a nutritionist onboard with whatever medical treatment you have that might be beneficial. I also am not personally impressed with the responses you got from either the dietician or the doctor when you asked about it.

If you're willing to try different things I would suggest eating back half of the calorie burn, it could slow down your weightloss but it'll be fueling your body and perhaps stop that hair loss. If you're seriously undereating you'll likely become irregular with your menstral cycle.