Have you changed your original Goal Weight? Up or down?

Replies

• JeanCricket
    JeanCricket Posts: 156 Member
    Neil, Great going with the weight loss and recivery from heart attack! Stay healthy my friend! :) Jean
  • akboy58
    akboy58 Posts: 137 Member
    At 6' I'm at 175, down 80 lbs from a high of 255 after two years of diet/exercise. My original goal was to drop 20 lbs, but having hit that, there didn't seem any reason not to keep going. So I set a series of short-term reachable goals--200 lbs, 180 lbs, etc.--with the idea that if I stuck there, I would still have accomplished something. My current 175-lb weight is sort of my "magic number": the weight I carried throughout my twenties and thirties, at which I was most comfortable, and looked best. But like others here, I lost a fair amount of muscle with the fat (and I didn't have a lot of muscle to spare, either); and I have loose skin issues to deal with. So now I'm working with a trainer to see how much muscle a formerly (very) sedentary 56-year old guy can acquire, and still keep trim. With that goal in mind I'm trying not to obsess about the scale numbers, just exercise, and eat the right combination of protein, carbs, etc. I need in order to achieve slow recomp. I have never been really "fit" in my life, so am not quite sure what that scale number looks like for somebody my height, age, and bone structure; but I think it will end up in the 170-180 lb. range.
  • niniundlapin
    niniundlapin Posts: 327 Member
    edited September 2015
    I started at 142 (body fat 32%) with original GW 123, and then my weight continued to drop from 123 while my body fat % dropped to my goal of 20%. Now I'm at 117-118 and am trying to maintain my weight & body fat%. I'd be happy to keep my weight around 115(+/-)2 range as long as my body fat % can be maintained around 18-20%.
  • tkphotogirl
    tkphotogirl Posts: 245 Member
    My original goal weight was 136 (I'm 5"2.5"), which was roughly my previous 'happy weight'. Now that I'm less than 10lbs away from there, I can see that it probably won't be where I end up. Guessing 125-129 but I'll figure it out as I go along.
  • JeanCricket
    Seems many of us end up lowering our GW once we achieve original goal...
  • I originally set my GW to 165 (I'm 42 and 5'5.5") got there and readjusted to 160 then scooted down to 155 where I've been maintaining for 6 months. Although I'm very happy in my new smaller clothes I still have some belly fat and flab present so I'm ready to accept whatever the scale says over the next few months as I add in more regular weights and core resistance training to create an illusion of tone/muscle and maybe a better booty ;)
  • DerekVTX
    DerekVTX Posts: 287 Member
    My original goal weight was 180lbs (90 lbs loss), but as I approached that (I am now 2.8lbs away), I realized that I still could lose 10 more lbs....so I have changed it to 170lbs for a grand total of 100lbs lost.
  • JeanCricket
    Thanks for all your replies! I adjusted my weight down once I got to original GW. It seemed so mpossible to reach when I first set the goal! Thanks to all of you at MFP, I've been able to consisteny log in daily and get feedback, input, and advice whenever I hit rough patches :)

My new goals include working in yoga and light weight strength training. May be asking for success stories and advice with that :)

Hugs,

Jean
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    @JeanCricket you'll be glad when you see the results from doing more yoga/strength - inch loss happens and we take on a lovely muscly lean-ness :smile: totally worth the effort :smile:
  • Ashtoretet
    Ashtoretet Posts: 378 Member
    My initial goal was 40 pounds. At this point I've lost 54 pounds and am still going strong. I'm aiming roughly for a total loss of 93 pounds.
  • hollen_carol
    hollen_carol Posts: 121 Member
    My original goal weight was 136 (I'm 5"2.5"), which was roughly my previous 'happy weight'. Now that I'm less than 10lbs away from there, I can see that it probably won't be where I end up. Guessing 125-129 but I'll figure it out as I go along.
    I am just like you! Now in the range. I'm happy with everything except my belly now. I want it to get flatter and it just won't get there. I'm thinking I need to go lower but I want to wait now until January because to be honest I'm just plain tired of being in a deficit. 127 is really good and I don't care about the weight, just want the fat off my belly!

• LivingtheLeanDream
    edited October 2015
    I am just like you! Now in the range. I'm happy with everything except my belly now. I want it to get flatter and it just won't get there. I'm thinking I need to go lower but I want to wait now until January because to be honest I'm just plain tired of being in a deficit. 127 is really good and I don't care about the weight, just want the fat off my belly!

@hollen_carol if you want to see the fat going off your belly its time to get strength training :smiley: my tummy is reducing nicely with that - I didn't want to lose any more weight elsewhere as I'm lean enough, its just that problem area. Lifting is making a difference already - I'm just 8 weeks into a consistent strength programme now and would highly recommend it :smile:
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    My highest was 307 and MFP start weight 272. My original goal was 220 which I quickly adjusted to 180. After going below 180 I knew I wasn't finished, and decided on a range of 150-170 as my goal. I've bounced around the 160s and low 170s for a year and am totally fine with it but I still consider 150 my "goal" even though I think anything from 150-165 I'll be very happy with (and I'm cool with 172 right now).
  • JamalIgle
    JamalIgle Posts: 55 Member
    Well, when I started my journey my goal was to lose 100 lbs. (I was 323 lbs. ) and it took me a year to lose. I decided to continue and have lost another 35 lbs and am comfortable here for while. I continue to workout regularly six days a week because I love it. I don't know if I should try to lose more weight so I'll stick with maintaining for a bit.
  • jrwms714
    jrwms714 Posts: 421 Member
    Interesting and helpful discussion. I am 5'0" and know that it takes short women who are older, longer to lose. My original goal was 130. It took me about 2 years to go from 167 to 136. I have been in maintenance for almost a year, bouncing between 135 and 138. Although I am very short, and very small from the waist up, I have short, stocky legs from the thighs through the calves, even more muscular since I have been doing strength training along with cardio 5x/week. So although I probably look 10 lbs. lighter and my clothes are small, I know I will never weigh what the charts and BMI tell me I should. I am built differently. Even when younger and in sizes Petite 4s, I never weighed less than 110. My internist says to go with the waist measurement (below 35) for health indicators, and that the BMI often doesn't hold true in some cases. My "numbers" when I get my blood drawn for my annual physicals are all excellent, too, and greatly improved from other physical appointments. So I adjusted my goal to 135. Would I like to get to 130? Sure, but my body seems happy at this range and holds it well and who can argue with a Petite size 6 over what used to be Petite Plus sizes? Not me!
  • My initial goal was 122 from a high weight of 139. I literally flew by my GW and am now maintaining at 114-116. I picked 122 because it had always been a good weight for me but as I've aged I think I look better with a lower body fat. Goals right now include building upper body strength and lowering body fat % from 20.5 to 18-19%
  • First of all congrats on your one year maint anni!!

And yes ... adjusted down ... kinda.

I subscribe to the theory that my body will stop losing when it is at it's maximum efficient weight. So I just carried on with what I was doing until I naturally stopped losing.

My orig GW was 110 from 136.
    My stretch goal was 107.
    My ultra secret goal was 105 (ultra secret as I too scared to even write it down because I was afraid that I would never reach it & be disappointed).

I'm 4'10" and CW is 93 (+/- 1-2 lbs) & it has been very easily maintained for 2+ yrs. :)
  • JeanCricket
    Wow! Thank you all for sharing your maintenance adjusted weight stories - really appreciate all the comments! :)

Ruthee, I'm truly looking forward to enjoying the benefits of Yoga and just simply feel peaceful doing the stretches, etc.

For those doing core strengthening, how are you doing it? (I can't do lifting due to health contraints... Can do very lite weights 1,2,3,5 lb dumbbells with max of 8 for biceps).

Hugs,

Jean

• LivingtheLeanDream
    @jeanCricket can you do planks? I have wrist issues and do them on elbows - fabulous for core and more so if you can do a 'row' with dumb bell at same time on each side :-)

Also side planks for the obliques works wonders :smiley:

Also on back legs 90° and do bicycles whilst doing chest presses with dumbbells

Just a few suggestions there.
  • riffraff2112
    riffraff2112 Posts: 1,757 Member
    200 seemed like a nice number. Got there and still saw room for improvement so played around with getting to 190. Hovered around there for a long time. Now I really don't care, just working on fitness goals (can't really afford to replace my wardrobe again anyway!). to be honest I havent weighed myself in months.....more concerned about the mirror and my fitness levels now.
    good luck