Fitbit sync

Options
I just got my Fitbit Charge HR and set it up to sync with MFP. I noticed automatically that the data from my morning run earlier was transferred to Fitbit, which is awesome! However what does that mean from now on when I go on a run? Do I continue to use the mapmyrun app, or do I let Fitbit track it all? Anyone knows the best way to get the most accurate data without duplicating the info?

Replies

• SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    If I am running I let mapmyrun sync with my activity tracker or mapmyfitness for other workouts. The only thing I let my activity tracker do is track my walks which I then calibrate to ensure it's tracking accurately.
  • melanieclark_4
    melanieclark_4 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    That makes sense because I started the workout tracking on fitbit but it didn't transfer the info to MFP. So I manually entered it in MFP but that duplicated the workout in Fitbit. Ugh! I'll learn. Thanks for the advice!
  • bnutt4210
    bnutt4210 Posts: 2 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Only log food and drinks with MFP, and then log exercise with your Fitbit by holding in the button on the side to begin and end. You can log into your Fitbit account on a computer later and name the different workouts you did if you want to track in depth and look back on it.
    I've been doing this, and had no problems!
    Sometimes MFP will take a few to sync with Fitbit. But be patient! -lol-
  • christinamaselli1
    Options
    bnutt4210 wrote: »
    Only log food and drinks with MFP, and then log exercise with your Fitbit by holding in the button on the side to begin and end. You can log into your Fitbit account on a computer later and name the different workouts you did if you want to track in depth and look back on it.
    I've been doing this, and had no problems!
    Sometimes MFP will take a few to sync with Fitbit. But be patient! -lol-

When You hold the button and let it know you are starting an exercise shouldn't it log it into MFP in addition to steps? Or does it just leave it as over all steps. Mine seems to just leave it as over all steps.
  • melanieclark_4
    melanieclark_4 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    When You hold the button and let it know you are starting an exercise shouldn't it log it into MFP in addition to steps? Or does it just leave it as over all steps. Mine seems to just leave it as over all steps.

I am confused as well. I tried logging the exercise with fitbit (holding the button as you mentioned), but the data (cals burned, workout duration, etc.) does not sync to MFP. I waited a few hours, but I finally had to enter it manually.
  • gordy716
    gordy716 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    With the charge hr you have to go and sync the device with the fitbit app or website, it'll then automatically adjust calories in mfp, it wont actually add an exercise entry. If you look at the bottom of my mfp diary thats how it syncs.
  • kuroshii
    kuroshii Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    There is a "MFP with fitbit" group here in the MFP forums. It has an exhaustive FAQ explaining how to set things up (not hard) and how it all works. Lots of sub-topics for discussions too. :)
    tl;dr is you are going to use fitbit as your database of record for excercise and MFP as your database of record for food. Calorie expenditure goes from fitbit to MFP in one lump that gets updated throughout the day, just as your food data goes over to fitbit in meal summaries not individual items.
  • louubelle16
    louubelle16 Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    It depends on how you set it up - for example, if you link your running app to both MFP and fitbit, it will double-record it. So, set your running app to sync with MFP or fitbit, and then that app to sync to the other and it should work... does that make sense? My set-up is:

Fitbit > MFP
    Runkeeper > MFP

Then MFP sends the Runkeeper info to Fitbit and vice-versa.
  • rbakedq
    rbakedq Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    I log all cardio exercise in Endomundo, step tracking and sleep in Fitbit (Fitbit One) and all food and drink in MFP. I have syncing set up Endomundo -> Fitbit -> MFP, and all works as expected.
  • autumnblade75
    autumnblade75 Posts: 1,660 Member
    Options
    It depends on how you set it up - for example, if you link your running app to both MFP and fitbit, it will double-record it. So, set your running app to sync with MFP or fitbit, and then that app to sync to the other and it should work... does that make sense? My set-up is:

Fitbit > MFP
    Runkeeper > MFP

Then MFP sends the Runkeeper info to Fitbit and vice-versa.

I have all the apps linked to one another and it doesn't double-dip. I use Zombies, Run! which is connected to RunKeeper, which is also connected to MFP and Fitbit, and MFP and Fitbit are connected with one another. To go for a run, I start the Zombies, Run! app and afterwards, I sync that app. Data goes to all the other apps and they all just play nicely together.